PDA

View Full Version : boaters who put their pets in danger :(

gold-n-rod
09-19-2008, 08:55 AM
It has been drawn to my attention that we have a member here using an avatar that endorses the practice of allowing dogs to ride unrestrained in a water vessel. I've done some research, and while the following information refers to vehicles, I think that many of the facts presented apply to water vessels, too.
I'm severely disturbed to think that someone can be allowed to use an avatar that clearly advocates putting poor innocent puppies and dogs in great danger of injury....... or even death. :shocking: :hangum:
Something must be done! :wink:

Why restrain your dog? There are more reasons then you may think...
Prevent driver distraction. This is the most important reason because it affects not just your vehicle's occupants, but potentially many others. Pets and loose objects are the 3rd worst in-car distraction according to a recent AAA study! They were considered worse then cell phone usage (#6), eating & drinking (#5) and adjusting climate controls (#4) (#1 is radio or CD player, #2 is children or others in car - Source: Extra Magazine telecast 8-20-01). During 2000 in the US more then 1.5 million accidents were caused by distracted driving! (Source: NBC Dateline telecast 6-19-01).
Protect your dog. Your dog deserves the same protection as you and your family... In a 30 mph. collision occupants of the vehicle can exert a force 20 times that of their body weight! Seat belts and harnesses protect by absorbing some of this force and distributing the load evenly across the stronger areas of the body, protecting the head, neck, and body from injury. A dog restraint that reduces this potential impact force can make the difference between life and death, and help prevent serious injury. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reports that:
seat belts are the "most effective means of reducing fatalities and serious injuries when traffic crashes occur"
"3/4 of occupants who are ejected from passenger cars are killed"
inpatient hospital charges are on average $5,000 higher for non belted occupants
Protect yourself, your family, and other passengers in your vehicle. In an accident, a dog can be thrown with hundreds or even thousands of pounds of force into other occupants of the vehicle, easily causing life threatening injuries. A good restraint system can help minimize this danger.
Make it easier for rescue workers and EMTs to help in the event of an accident. A dog that has been in an accident is likely to be shocked, confused, injured, and protective. It does not understand what has happened and may attack people or rescue workers indiscriminately and without additional provocation. Your dog may think that people who come to help you actually caused the accident and are now coming to attack again! Police officers have told us that they have shot dogs when in this situation.
Prevent runaways and daring escapes! Even well behaved dogs can have their moments of "distraction". Far from home or on vacation is the worst place to lose your dog. Dogs can also get injured or killed jumping from even a slow moving vehicle.
Convenience. It is easier to restrain your dog then to worry and guard against escape every time a window or door is opened! This also means you may be able to leave some windows open for ventilation.
Helps dogs that get carsick or fear driving. Some veterinarians recommend restraint systems to help stabilize a dog when braking, cornering, and accelerating. This gives them a feeling of security and may help them overcome nervousness and the fear of driving.
Restraints may be required by law. California and several counties and cities in other states now require all animals to be tethered in vehicles.

cutwater
09-19-2008, 09:36 AM
The article didn't mention anything about fictional breeds, such as the cartoon/retriever mix... :wink:

zelatore
09-19-2008, 11:59 AM
Yes, I know what this is really about....

But actually there's a bit of truth to it. I recall my father nearly running over the family dog with the boat once. The pooch was fond of riding right at the front of the family bow rider while we were cruising or skiing. One day Fido was in his usual stance (face stuck into the wind, leaning forward) and Dad chopped the throttle and swerved (don't remember why). Fido went off the front of the boat. Amazingly, he wasn't hurt. We circled back around and found him paddling for shore...

But, you know, that's not really the point here, is it?

And I have no dog to put in my boat anyway.

And if I tried to put her cat in the boat, I suspect the seats would be shredded then covered with blood. First her's from the cat going crazy and lacerating every available scrab of skin, then the cat's from when I had to 'contain' it, then mine from where she and the cat both beat my silly for hurting poor little *****cat.

Donziweasel
09-19-2008, 12:57 PM
I believe I know the member you speak of. There are no other people or dogs in the boat, so the dog must be driving it. For the record, and I am VERY serious, I am 100% AGAINST dogs driving boats. What if he saw a cat on the shore? What if someone was playing fetch with thier dog off the boat dock? What if it was a lab and he saw some ducks? It is all fun and games until a dog wrecks a boat while driving it. SO, I am against dogs driving boats, especailly if they have been drinking! I know there are members who will disagree, but I stand by my statement 100%.:)

Donziweasel
09-19-2008, 01:00 PM
I just checked the state laws. Other than Tennessee, Kentucky, Alabama, South Carolina, Mississippi, and Lousiana, it is ILLEGAL to have a dog drive your boat. So remember that. KY-Donzi and Hedgehog, you can legally have a dog drive the boat, but I am still against it.

In Florida, a dog can drive the boat, but only 45 mph or less.

cutwater
09-19-2008, 01:06 PM
No, no, Clark... if ya look closely enough, you can see he's tethered to the kill switch :biggrin.:

zelatore
09-19-2008, 01:08 PM
:rlol::rlol:
Best laugh I've had all day!

Marlin275
09-19-2008, 01:19 PM
We used to hold our dog in the boat and you could tell he really didn't feel comfortable in the boat.
He seemed to want to jump out but knew that wasn't a good idea.
We would leave him on the dock and he liked that better!

Donziweasel
09-19-2008, 01:35 PM
Best laugh I've had all day!

....:)

wrussellw
09-19-2008, 04:31 PM
My house has a strict no wake zone behind. My black lab on occassion will swim out to slow moving boats and say hello. The nicer boaters give her a ride back to shore.
DW, I believe dogs in Louisiana can ONLY drive a boat if they are wearing their tags and licensed.

LKSD
09-21-2008, 09:25 AM
On the very rare occasion that my dog(s) are in my boat the rules are as follow:

I wont let my dogs drive if they have been drinking.. Also they must have their jackets on... Other than that as a passenger they have to remain seated or laying up front until the ride comes to a complete stop.. However eventhough they are under 36" high I still allow then to go on the ride.. lol :D jamie

p729lws
09-21-2008, 11:27 AM
hogwash...I'll match my weiner's boat driving skills against anyones....

f_inscreenname
09-21-2008, 11:50 AM
There is nothing like watching a dog act like they are on a hot tin rood as they slide across the deck. Never thought about taking a cat out for a ride but that has to be a blast.:rlol:
Just kidding. :wink:

zelatore
09-21-2008, 01:51 PM

Come on, that's not fair. Eveybody knows weiner dogs are gentically bred to drive boats. They have an unfair advantage.

Barry Eller
09-21-2008, 03:18 PM

You know damn well Spot and Chico can't drive! And Birdie can't reach the steering wheel in that Pantera (no seats). Plus your wife, Laura, has to stand on 2 telephone books just to see out!!!

So don't piss in my face and tell me its rainning, your "weiner" can't drive!!! it's too short!!!

Spot and Chico do wear their PFD's. We don't put them in danger!!!

samjannarone
09-21-2008, 08:03 PM
politics are funny, but this thread is a scream!!! You guys should be writing for Jay Leno:hyper::hyper::hyper:

zelatore
09-21-2008, 09:34 PM
your "weiner" can't drive!!! it's too short!!!

Well now....that's hitting below the belt!

p729lws
09-23-2008, 05:49 PM
Well now....that's hitting below the belt!

Just when you think you know who your firiends are, lol! The next round is on you Eller. Next Friday at the hotel? I have a round of golf scheduled at noon so I'll be ready for a few...

Dan

The Hedgehog
09-24-2008, 08:11 AM
I just checked the state laws. Other than Tennessee, Kentucky, Alabama, South Carolina, Mississippi, and Lousiana, it is ILLEGAL to have a dog drive your boat. So remember that. KY-Donzi and Hedgehog, you can legally have a dog drive the boat, but I am still against it.

In Bama you are actually required to have a license to drive a boat. My tan dog Sadie is a real partier. She had a few DUI's and had her license revoked. She went to rehab and is doing better now. I moved to Tn where she is legal since dogs are not required to be licensed. She is my DD.

I am working with Roger (Yellow lab pup)now. He is almost big enough for the ZX but can't be trusted with the throttle. The other weekend he thought he saw a pontoon boat loaded down with women, ducks and hedgehogs (the kind you buy in a pet store). He floored it and dang near threw me out the back. By the time I got to the throttle we were almost out of control.

I guess my point is that EVERYONE should be wearing a lifeline when your dog is driving.

Ghost
09-24-2008, 08:56 AM
Just remember, if they've had their dewclaws removed they can't operate the trim worth a d@mn.

RedDog
09-24-2008, 09:10 AM

ding ding ding - we have a winner

remember, not only is licensing required for your pooch, but proper training is also required. Problems arise though when the dog sees a p***y.

The Hedgehog
09-24-2008, 06:18 PM
ding ding ding - we have a winner

remember, not only is licensing required for your pooch, but proper training is also required. Problems arise though when the dog sees a p***y.

Roger loves women. They seem to dig Roger too. He is the man. Now if I could only get him to focus on driving.

p729lws
09-24-2008, 07:14 PM
Roger loves women. They seem to dig Roger too. He is the man. Now if I could only get him to focus on driving.

Classic photo! That's one happy puppy!

Barry Eller
09-24-2008, 07:46 PM
Just when you think you know who your firiends are, lol! The next round is on you Eller. Next Friday at the hotel? I have a round of golf scheduled at noon so I'll be ready for a few...
Dan

You got it. I'll bring my jar O'shine too! You may want to reconsider driving back to Gulf Breeze and getting a room. Oh, you and Laura hear that all the time..."Get A Room"!:nilly:

osur866
09-25-2008, 04:24 AM
Is there any laws about dogs driving you on a pwc? My golden loves to drive me around on the sea-doo, of course she wears her life jacket and safety teather and very seldom goes above 25 mph. Steve

The Hedgehog
09-25-2008, 06:15 AM
Is there any laws about dogs driving you on a pwc? My golden loves to drive me around on the sea-doo, of course she wears her life jacket and safety teather and very seldom goes above 25 mph. Steve

I think that it is ok as long as she does not hit the Crown:alky::drinkbeer:

TBroccoli
09-25-2008, 12:21 PM
If the dog is not driving is he qualified to be the lookout for a waterskier???

osur866
09-25-2008, 10:07 PM
I think that it is ok as long as she does not hit the Crown:alky::drinkbeer: She is the DD the crown is for me:yes:. Although she is a Crown drinker too! Course I probably opened myself up to abusing animals, with that staement, by letting them drink, but it doesn't hurt every now in again. Steve

KerrLake
09-29-2008, 05:35 PM
I'm glad I found a place to be able to talk about my problems with my dog Casey. This is a picture a friend took of her taking out the boat without permission. She got in alot of trouble for this. I think she was trying to pick up another dog up the lake for a joy ride.

Donziweasel
09-29-2008, 05:46 PM
Got to hide those keys. One day I caught my lab backing up the truck and my beagle directing him to hitch up to the Donzi and I said "what are you doing, you know I don't let dogs drive the boat". Both knew they were caught and apologized. I then sent them in the truck to get us dinner. Since then I hide the keys:biggrin.:

gold-n-rod
09-29-2008, 07:57 PM
I think she was trying to pick up another dog up the lake for a joy ride.
That BITCH!!!!!!!!! :eek: