PDA

View Full Version : Round or sharp V

HIGH LIFE
09-18-2008, 06:25 PM
I was just looking at the keel of my 16' DONZI O/B.... I have heard in some discussion that some hulls had a sharp V, like my 27' MAGNUM , and some had the rounded keel. Why the difference ? HIGH LIFE

Pismo
09-18-2008, 06:27 PM
V cuts well, great rough water ride, slightly slower. Rounded lifts the boat higher so more speed. Like the pad keel on a Velocity, which is even faster.

mattyboy
09-18-2008, 07:18 PM
I would say it cuts well but the landing thingy is where depart from the rides better theory

as far as the donzi classics are concern the only one that had full inner strakes and the sharp keel was the donzi 2+3 18 barrellback ( they did make one round keel barrelback) once they went to the standard 18 2+3 it came with a rounded keel the sharp keel then returned to Donzi with the z boats then the pads and steps notches

BlownCrewCab
09-18-2008, 07:27 PM
If you run on a smooth lake and like all out speed the rounded keel is for you, If you run in choppy water and like to jump wakes and don't care about the last 2-3mph then the true V is for you. The only drawbacks on the true V is 1.) top speed is usually 2-3mph slower 2.) if you crank the steering wheel Hard enough going too fast it will swap ends (spin out) which is why they rounded the keel in the first place. once the true V looses it's bite it's sliding on the flat side of the bottom. with the rounded keel it moves the longitudinal (sp) C/G forward so the front has a good bite and the rear kinda slides through the turn not caring if it loses bite or not. the rounded bottom turns sharper at speed because of this, but I prefer the smoother ride of the true V..

BlownCrewCab
09-18-2008, 08:31 PM
Hah, I grew up in Miami in the 60's, 70's, 80's & 90's They wouldn't want me to be an organ donor, but a round bottom (boat) will never land as smooth as a sharp one. ever. and it will never chop through the wave tops like a V can. the rounded keel can have a good ride in chop if trimmed right but I think the V can handle A Lil more chop before your kidney blows out.

on a side note, I am in to speed (Not Pills, But velocity over ground/water) what others feel is uncomfortable at 50mph I will do at 70mph so the speeds where I feel comfy may not suit others, could be in my up bringing? Thanks Brownie (No, I Mean It) we only had 1 rule, Don't get Brownie wet. either from spray over the bow (Which means your going too slow) or from flipping the boat, both where no-no's. at 5 years old I learned how to keep both tachs sync'd. I'm a graduate of YSBSOBD, ask Brownie what that means, he'll crack up:cool:

DonziFreak
09-18-2008, 08:42 PM
I feel that the sharp-v runs butter in slop than the rounded-keel....(I've been in all kinds of crappy seas MP, my kidneys are in prefect shape! :biggrin.: )

Forino
09-18-2008, 08:47 PM
I'm an ocean dweller and even though I have'nt gotten my 18C in the water; my 20 cig has a round bottom and it is one of the smoothest rides I have ever experienced in a smaller boat; even when it is pretty choppy.

mattyboy
09-18-2008, 08:54 PM
having been in the same water lake george 1-2 foot slop confused water with an ocassion 4 foot tour boat wake and riding in a sharp keeled barrelback and a round keel 18 minutes after each other the round keel rode better and landed level where the 18 sharp keel rolled to it's side and pounded on its flat side on reentry now a sharp keeled 27 magnum sport probably rides better than both 18's due to it's size

penbroke
09-18-2008, 09:40 PM
I have to agree with BCC on this one. The sharp keel should be smoother. But the boat has to land squarely on the keel. My boat (left hand prop, port helm) wants nothing more than to land on the starboard side of the bottom. It starts to roll as soon as it begins to leave the water. You can compensate for this with steering to port as it leaves the water but it is a fine art to say the least. Maybe the round keels are more forgiving?

Frank

tommymonza
09-19-2008, 06:30 PM
I agree with poodle on the strakes doing the pounding.My dads old 26 Monza would beat you to death at 30 in a good chop but if you got it up and off the strakes at 50 it was nite and day.

BigGrizzly
09-19-2008, 07:04 PM
Guys the sharp keel barral back 18 sharp keel has bottom strakes that run all the way back to the stern to get it up on top of the water. This causes harsher landings etc. The Nova doesn't have strakes that go to the stern and rides smother. The Donzi sharp V among other thing cuts turns in a less stable condition then the round bottom. This was told to me by someone here that knows the hull in side and out I too have noticed the difference in handling and ride. The sharp V lasted onlu a short time as a result. As a kid 5 of hung together. 2 18 and 2 16. One 18 with the sharp on and one with a round. the faster of the 18 was the round bottom this is in 1969 at Point Pleasant. The 18 round bottom belonged to a girl friend and she was not afraid to drive it. It was baby blue and Now I believe that Moody Blue owns it now.

Ghost
09-19-2008, 09:07 PM
The round bottom belonged to a girl friend and she was not afraid to drive it

Anybody want to field this one? (Okay, it was a slight misquote, I admit...)

BigGrizzly
09-20-2008, 09:38 AM
Yes, but funny. I really liked this girl, but lost touch with her, a good friend about 25 years ago.:(