PDA

View Full Version : Volvo 280t prop choices

mk32j
09-17-2008, 01:20 PM
I searched some of the old threads on 280t props and didn't have much luck.
Does anybody have any recomendations for diameter, pitch, cupped versus non, this is my 1st drive from Volvo with trim and I'm lost???

What type of power is the drive capable of handling before disaster????

:confused::confused::confused:

mrfixxall
09-17-2008, 01:25 PM
My choice would be a volvo ultra labbed with a big cup in the prop (they like to slip) but when mine hooks up LOOK OUT! IM gone :)

Ck out the youtube vid at the bottom of my page,the long vid was with a hydromotive 4 blade and the short vids were with the ultra..

mk32j
09-17-2008, 03:49 PM
The ultralab looks to pull the bow up better and the boatseems to be more on top with more mph am I correct? any recomendations on dimensions?

mrfixxall
09-17-2008, 04:04 PM
[QUOTE=mk32j;467512]The ultralab looks to pull the bow up better and the boatseems to be more on top with more mph am I correct? any recomendations on dimensions?[/QUO

How much hp do you have and whats the drive ratio?

volvo dont make that prop anymore so ck with ebay and mabe youll find one on their..mines a 14x24 and im spinning the $hit out of it..

Ghost
09-17-2008, 04:08 PM
I don't know at all, but f_inscreenname might have some ideas about props, what your 280 can take, and the two together (albeit on an Allmand Supernova 19), as evidenced by how much stuff he's got here (props are down at the bottom):

http://www.supernova19.com/forumcw/index.php?topic=703.0

-Mike

mattyboy
09-17-2008, 05:07 PM
I have an ultra left hand 14 X24 in great shape 400 bucks if you are interested

mk32j
09-17-2008, 05:13 PM
Does your 14/24 have a cup in it mattboy

mattyboy
09-17-2008, 05:18 PM
probably has some cup it I found it in old stock it was brand new never used i used it for a season or so

Lenny
09-17-2008, 05:26 PM
Does your 14/24 have a cup in it mattboy

I have the same but a right hand version. Send it to John at

http://www.dahpropellers.com/ Tell him what you want, MrFixall will tell you what you want, and away you go. If bow lift is your desire (it is mine) the Ultra is FABULOUS. makes for a nice "light" boat.

Lots of folks run 400HP all day long through these drives with no issues. I have literally ran the p i s s out of mine (280) and it just doesn't care.

mk32j
09-17-2008, 05:33 PM
Thanks for all the help The alm I'm using is all wrong as a little trim and it lets go the boat is a little heavy at 4100 lbs or so so I'm looking for some ideas It gets up fine just doesn't like trim.

f_inscreenname
09-17-2008, 06:04 PM
Motor size?
What prop are you running now (size)?
How big is you boat?
What is the WOT rpm?
How does the boat perform (take off, cruise)?
There is so many variables, it takes a lot of info to pick the right prop. Also like said Volvo doesn't make props anymore and they are becoming harder and harder to find and the money goes up and up.

mk32j
09-17-2008, 06:39 PM
24 doral 400 sbc with some work 5100 wot cruise great at about 3600 doesn't like trim at about 4200 the prop just doesn't bite with almost any trim all the way in its fine.

mrfixxall
09-17-2008, 06:44 PM
24 doral 400 sbc with some work 5100 wot cruise great at about 3600 doesn't like trim at about 4200 the prop just doesn't bite with almost any trim all the way in its fine.

Mk32 what size prop is on your boat now? look at the tag on the back side of the drive for the ratio,a,b,c,d?

i may have a ss volvo prop for you! a big ear prop may what your looking for and thats what i have..

BigGrizzly
09-17-2008, 06:54 PM
I sell them, The new style SS props. It has proven better then anything on the market. What boat is it for and what engine.

Lenny
09-17-2008, 10:11 PM
I sell them, The new style SS props. It has proven better then anything on the market. What boat is it for and what engine.

Randy, ... pay attention ;)

mrfixxall
09-17-2008, 10:49 PM

ok ill try a l 25 pitch against my ultra :)

Yes lenny the ultra so far is hard to beat!

mattyboy
09-18-2008, 09:34 AM
guys we are not talking about an 18 here
the donzi 24 hull needs alot of trim to get it up and moving plus it is a heavy boat
the ultra is fast and loose and does have a high slip % it gave my 16 way much lift and was uncontrolable mostly due to the fact that the volvo 16 needs more wetted surface to run faster more level the solas does that

on the 24 being a bigger heavier boat it might like the lift and still have the running surface not to get out out of shape like the smaller classics
the solas has 3-5% slip and is extremely efficient and can be trimmed way up without issue which might be the ticket for the 24 hull too.

if solas made a 25 pitch it would take a hell of alot of horse power to spin it
the solas has no bad tendacies and makes all of the classic type 24 degree rounded keel short inner strake volvo aquamatic powered hulls that I have seen or riden in from a 16 to an 18 to a 20 have a higher more controlled higher speed( the ultra might be a mph or 2 faster but that speed cannot be maint for long were the solas can be held down wot for as long as you want and when it gets rought the solas really shines
a 26 pitch ultra ( a 24 pitch ultra the solas eats for lunch) with its 12-15% slip and a solas 23 with 3-5% slip travel almost exactly the same disatance in one turn about 22.something inches i had 310 hp i couldn't turn a 23 solas past like 4300

example at 5000 rpm with a 1.6 drive a 23 solas at 4% is 65.3 mph and an ultra 26 at 15% is 65.4 mph I can tell ya the ride at 65.3 will be less white knuckled than at 65.4

mr fixx i would like to see how a 23 solas runs on your setup you won't have to wait for it to hook up as soon as it is wet it is hooked up

grizz as anyone fooled with a solas like labbing and such???

by my calculations if i had enough hp and could spin a 23 solas on a 1.3 ratio drive to 5000 rpm that would be one kick azz classic that would give the 22 fits
;)

BigGrizzly
09-18-2008, 09:39 AM
M Fix as good as your boat is My 23 will be hard for you to turn if you turn an ultra25. Remember M fix you had to modify that prop. As for the Dorel the Ultra is not the correct prop way too much slip. My props are of a modern design not a 20 year old design. Utra was great in its day, yesterday is gone. Ask the people who use them on old Volvo drives. If you are done with the rest call me for the best!:)

mattyboy
09-18-2008, 10:05 AM
mk
is this the yellow doral from wisconsin??
you need to air that bad boy out
look at the test driver in the spitfire

mk32j
09-18-2008, 10:12 AM
Mattyboy,
Yes and thats what I'm trying to find out through all your guys trials and prop tribulations. The best decision is an informed one!!!
I'm not familiar with all the volvo issues so I figured ask the audience all the info is great to hear and I appreciate all of it.
Thanks,
mk32j

mattyboy
09-18-2008, 10:29 AM
you would probably be best served talking to bill "oleredalert" here on the boards he has 2 of the 4 model 24 hulls a spitfire and an el pescador so he knows about single and twin apps and handling on the 24

what grizzly said is true the new solas props have helped every volvo owner that uses them I was one . you are not too far away from a large donzi population in the midwest michcigan area altho it is late in the season I would suggest getting to a gathering where you might be able to test a few props next year look up MADCOW and AOTH in the event section and then there is lake george but that is a bit of a tow with a doral but there are a ton of older volvo boats that attend

from my testing over 7 years I have tried about 10-12 types of props on the volvo custom spinelli, cleavers, choppers, elephant eared in bronze, alum, and SS in all pitches even a prop that had holes drilled in it and until I found the ultra they all had major handling issues, the ultra altho better than the rest was by no means perfect, when i got the solas it was a world of difference enough so that my wife knew when it was and wasn't on the boat but again that was on a 16, the 24 is different and might react different from a smaller classic but i bet the solas would be one of the top pics for the boat
I looked at that boat pretty nice example of a doral good luck with her and the prop search

BigGrizzly
09-18-2008, 11:03 AM
Thanks Matty, I wasn't going to toot my one horn, brcause it sounds like a sales pitch. As for labbing. Every time someone looks at it they tell me how bad it is and it won't work:shocking: When refurbished after bending, it is worse then new. As everybody knows I am not a fan of labbing. If some body wants to, just remember no one has that pitch block. Matty just remember how I got that prop designed, then ask your self the labbing question again.

mattyboy
09-18-2008, 11:10 AM
Randy, I didn't want to come across as a pitchman either that was my honest take on it the ultra was the best until the solas came along for me

is the 24 hull a 24 degree round keel short straked boat?? i would bet the solas on a classic or a tug boat is still gonna move alot of water

Kirbyvv
09-18-2008, 11:17 AM
I'm running one of Griz's Solas props on a 280T drive. it's an 18, not a Doral, but these are powerfull props, move alot of water and work great on the old Volvo drives. I'm betting one will work great for your application.

BigGrizzly
09-18-2008, 11:52 AM
The strakes are not that short but I believe it is a 24 and round bottom, but i really don't remember. I am sure it will work, works great on a Hornet II. Of course I have been wrong before.

mrfixxall
09-18-2008, 12:52 PM
M Fix as good as your boat is My 23 will be hard for you to turn if you turn an ultra25. Remember M fix you had to modify that prop. As for the Dorel the Ultra is not the correct prop way too much slip. My props are of a modern design not a 20 year old design. Utra was great in its day, yesterday is gone. Ask the people who use them on old Volvo drives. If you are done with the rest call me for the best!:)

Grizz i turn a labbed ultra (bepending on conditions) but most of the time 6k+ somtimes so i dont think ill have a problem spinning the solas prop over 5400 rpms:) i like the snapp of the ultra which i havnt found in any prop..

Matty yes your correct that boat wouldnt be good with the ultra,he needs a bigger blade serface fron what i can tell from speaking to him and looking at his prop..theirs no cup in the prop he is running plus he may have other issues with the gear ratio as well.
The letter on the serial# on his lower unit is a D in volvo terms is a 2.15 ratio but on the other hand with voolvos older lower units it states a D is a 1.35 ratio..unless someone did change the gears?? so i told him how to determine what the ratio is and we will take it from their on what prop woud best suit his needs:)

mattyboy
09-18-2008, 04:04 PM
if you can turn a 23 soloas to 5400 you are well over 80 mph, the solas has way more snap than an ultra i tried all i could to ventilate or cavitate it it is hooked to the water

the solas is massive compared to an ultra nearly 2 inches larger in depth and width the blades on the solas are an inch or so wider

the rule of thumb for every inch of pitch or inch of diameter is = 100 rpm( i know most say 200 rpm but with that number the numbers are staggering)and for cupping add an inch of pitch
i spun a 25 pitch cupped chopper to 5400 i went to a 21 solas so let's work the numbers I went down 4 inches in pitch plus the inch for cup so i went down 5 inches of pitch so that is 500 rpm so that puts me at 5900 rpm spinning a 21 now let's take the 1 and 7/8 gain in diameter so let's round that off to 2 inches and say a loss of 200 rpm so I should be able to spin the 21 solas to 5700 NOT i can barely make 5000 rpm with the solas and running these numbers thru the available prop calculators i get a negative slip number so insted of a 300 rpm gain i had a 400 rpm reduction???

does anyone know how diameter and blade design are figured in the calculations???? diameter has to be accounted for in the claculation??? does it not

running my best speed run thru the calulator putting in all the known factors rpm, act speed gps'd , drive ratio, and pitch,looking for the unknown slip percentage i get a negative number and the calculator freaks out saying you can't have negative slip so I have -1.5% slip or1.5% prop grip ;)

running the numbers of my best speed run in the 16
5000 rpm, drive ratio 1.6, actual; gps speed 62.8, and a 5% slip number and leaving the pitch of the prop as the unknown i get 22.3 prop pitch
so the solas 21 ain't a 21 and the 23 probably ain't a 23 but more like a 24 or 25
talk to anyone that has tried one , jay lurie, magical bill, bobby d, kirby, they will all tell the same story
really I am not on grizzly's payroll, but i am or was on the solas bandwagon

Kirbyvv
09-18-2008, 04:20 PM
Mr. Fixxall, you should try one. Maddad is running high HP through a volvo 280 with a 23 Solas and loves it.

mattyboy
09-18-2008, 04:28 PM
Kirby,

I forgot about Maddad

also a nose cone helps if you can get clean water to the prop it will bite it and spit it out

maddad
09-18-2008, 10:27 PM
mk32j, these guys are not kidding. If you're running an older Volvo outdrive, you need to try a Solas.
mrfixxall, you and I seem to have the same type of power. My 24" Ultra was cupped to 26" and I'd spin it off the scale on my 6000rpm tach. That gave me 65ish and white knuckles. The Solas is going High 60's by 5000(67.8)and I've been a hair over 74 around 54-5500. At any speeds over 5000, there is so much boat out of the water you can feel the outdrive flapping in the breeze behind you. Once I get external hydraulic steering, I look forward to seeing where the top is.
I don't know if the nosecone helps get water to the prop but it did help steady the boat at the 65-70 area.

Lenny
09-19-2008, 12:52 AM
What does NOT occur is bow rise. The boat runs flat (and fast) ...amd moves a TON of water.

I need to lift the bow. ( we've been through this already twenty times)

What can I do to my SOLAS 21 that will pick the bow up (third notch) :eek: when in fact the ULTRA is perfect in his respect.

Labbed, raked, cupped... Tell me Grizzz. The way it is, it is not acceptable for MY running conditions... pick my bow up please... The Ultra is phenomenol in this respect and contollable.

mattyboy
09-19-2008, 07:35 AM
theres your answer Lenny if you want bow lift stick with the ultra then have it worked on to become more efficient i think the key is the solas carries the boat more level with a slight bow up aspect and doesn't give excessive stern lift
we have no problem with bow lift in the 3rd hole on the 20 cig and the solas

i think all classic hulls run faster and truer with that aspect dr dan's boat is a perfect example it runs flatter and truer than similar powered merc boats