PDA

View Full Version : 1967 18' 2+3 V drive

Conquistador_del_mar
09-17-2008, 11:20 AM
Earlier this year, I was selling a couple built up 302s that I did not sell with a 25' Wellcraft Nova. One of the people who wrote me about my Craigslist ad was a man in Seattle (I am in north Texas). It turns out he was restoring a 1967 18' V drive! Since then we have kept in touch. I have tried to steer him to this site, but I don't think he has joined yet. Here is one of his recent emails and a few pictures he originally sent to me. By the way, I sold the engines to local men. Bill

.................................................. .................................................

Wow! Very, very cool Bill!

The Little Donzi is doing pretty well! Once everything was stripped from the hull, and the deck was pulled, I did not really like the condition of the stringers, so dove into that fiberglassing project. But that part is now done, the Bilgekote paint is drying up, and things are looking a lot stronger and more rigid.
Engine just got rebuilt. Come to find out it is the original Holman Moody 302, so I am happy I went with a rebuild, as opposed to replacing it. V-drive is in great shape, and the transmission is being rebuilt as we speak!

Upholstery is done, and I am thinking that I will send the hull to the paint shop next week, then once it comes back, I am pretty much in rebuilding mode!

Again, your 18 is beautiful!! What a great find!!
Thanks for keeping in touch.
GG

cutwater
09-17-2008, 11:43 AM
Isn't that a 16'??

Nice to hear he's keeping it original, though.

Conquistador_del_mar
09-17-2008, 11:46 AM
Isn't that a 16'??

Nice to hear he's keeping it original, though.

You are right - it is a 16'. I should have noticed the seating. Bill

Conquistador_del_mar
10-04-2008, 09:14 PM
I just got a few pictures of the 1967 16' V-drive restoration from the friend in Seattle. He turned the glass work over to some men who work primarily on sailboats. He thinks it will be ready for paint this next week. Notice the deck support pieces they glassed in. Bill

mrfixxall
10-04-2008, 09:39 PM
I just got a few pictures of the 1967 16' V-drive restoration from the friend in Seattle. He turned the glass work over to some men who work primarily on sailboats. He thinks it will be ready for paint this next week. Notice the deck support pieces they glassed in. Bill

Where are they going to mount the mast?:D

Looks like their doing a nice job! hopefully it wont add much weight to the boat..

Mach 5
10-06-2008, 12:48 PM
I finally found this site, and had the pleasure of joining! a HUGE bank of information here! Wow!
Yes, that is my 1967 Ski Sporter 16'..
The glass work was just too much for me to accomplish in my garage, so I handed it over to CSR Marine here in Seattle. They specialize in Carbon Fiber racing sailboats, and a couple of the guys in the yard have worked on the Oracle America's Cup boats.
Luckily, the owner of the shop, and the guys working on it dig the boat, and want to see it done right.
Interestingly, EVERY bit of wood core on the deck, even stuff that did not appear to have any holes or cracks was SOAKING WET. The boat sat in a yard in Oregon for 20+ years, and in my garage for about 1 year, and all of the core in the deck had to be removed.
Original Holman Moody Engine is back from the re builder, I am cleaning and painting all of the original marine hardware, and hull paint should go on this week. Next week, I get to start rebuilding!!

If you guys are interested, I will post some additional photos.

Again, Great site!!

Garry
1967 Ski Sporter V-drive
Seattle, WA

Mach 5
10-06-2008, 12:50 PM
...That great Jig they used to get the deck back to original, perfect shape is available if anyone out there is in process. I am sure it can be dis-assembled and shipped!
Garry
1967 Ski Sporter V-drive
Seattle, WA

cutwater
10-06-2008, 01:04 PM
...That great Jig they used to get the deck back to original, perfect shape is available if anyone out there is in process. I am sure it can be dis-assembled and shipped!
Garry
1967 Ski Sporter V-drive
Seattle, WA

Hey Garry, great project. Keep the pictures coming. I am interested in the jig if they are finished with it. Send me a PM with your number.

-- John

Conquistador_del_mar
10-06-2008, 01:05 PM
I finally found this site, and had the pleasure of joining! a HUGE bank of information here! Wow!
Yes, that is my 1967 Ski Sporter 16'..
The glass work was just too much for me to accomplish in my garage, so I handed it over to CSR Marine here in Seattle. They specialize in Carbon Fiber racing sailboats, and a couple of the guys in the yard have worked on the Oracle America's Cup boats.
Luckily, the owner of the shop, and the guys working on it dig the boat, and want to see it done right.
Interestingly, EVERY bit of wood core on the deck, even stuff that did not appear to have any holes or cracks was SOAKING WET. The boat sat in a yard in Oregon for 20+ years, and in my garage for about 1 year, and all of the core in the deck had to be removed.
Original Holman Moody Engine is back from the re builder, I am cleaning and painting all of the original marine hardware, and hull paint should go on this week. Next week, I get to start rebuilding!!

If you guys are interested, I will post some additional photos.

Again, Great site!!

Garry
1967 Ski Sporter V-drive
Seattle, WA

Alright, Garry - great to see you joined the site!! Yes, there is lots of great information here. Got to run catch some friends for lunch - later. Bill