PDA

View Full Version : Ike, and the JimG's

JimG
09-16-2008, 06:24 AM
Friends,
We stayed...and got clobbered! Next one, we're OUT OF HERE!

Our 36 Pace is fine. Our marina is the only one that didn't get damaged. Thousands of boats sunk. Donzi is A-OK, it was in my pole barn along with the Porsche, Miata, Mercedes and my cat Phoebe... STRONG BUILDING! (Plug for Joe Drywater Pole Barns!)

House got a little damage, little barn got destroyed, well pump house destroyed and took out the well tank. Fences down, most of my trees smashed. It was a hellish experience.

But, we got off easy compared to a lot of folks. You will be hearing a body count soon. You'll be shocked. We are hearing some bad things about the recovery effort. Lots of bodies...

We're running on two generators, so we are doing pretty good. Should be able to hold out for a couple of more days. I'm getting a little worried about my old 1966 Massey tractor. It's running my main generator, and is using a lot of oil. I'm on the hunt for a 8-10k generator, but there are none to be had. I'm hoping for power to come back soon, it's on all around us.

Thanks for thinking of us!

Jim & Janet

onesubdrvr
09-16-2008, 06:31 AM
Jim,

Most importantly, you and Janet are OK.

Best wishes to you guys, and I'll keep my fingers crossed for you to get power back soon.

Wayne

Craig S
09-16-2008, 09:01 AM
Glad to hear it!

mrfixxall
09-16-2008, 10:50 AM
Friends,
We stayed...and got clobbered! Next one, we're OUT OF HERE!
Our 36 Pace is fine. Our marina is the only one that didn't get damaged. Thousands of boats sunk. Donzi is A-OK, it was in my pole barn along with the Porsche, Miata, Mercedes and my cat Phoebe... STRONG BUILDING! (Plug for Joe Drywater Pole Barns!)
House got a little damage, little barn got destroyed, well pump house destroyed and took out the well tank. Fences down, most of my trees smashed. It was a hellish experience.
But, we got off easy compared to a lot of folks. You will be hearing a body count soon. You'll be shocked. We are hearing some bad things about the recovery effort. Lots of bodies...
We're running on two generators, so we are doing pretty good. Should be able to hold out for a couple of more days. I'm getting a little worried about my old 1966 Massey tractor. It's running my main generator, and is using a lot of oil. I'm on the hunt for a 8-10k generator, but there are none to be had. I'm hoping for power to come back soon, it's on all around us.
Thanks for thinking of us!
Jim & Janet

Shut down the ole massy and give her some mobile1 oil she wil like it also get out the old house fan and set it next to the motor,she will like the extra cooling as well hope she survives and good luck to ya!

gcarter
09-16-2008, 10:59 AM
So does the massey have a Perkins Diesel?
Just curious.

Rootsy
09-16-2008, 12:57 PM
Glad to hear you guys are OK, was wondering where you were. Hopefully, the rumors you are hearing turn out to be false like the ones we heard after Andrew.
50Wt oil is the ticket.. :)
Be safe, if you guys need anything let us know and we'll see what we can do. FedEx is my friend :)

What? you don't want to dump a synthetic in it and have it run out of the leather seals and cork gaskets instead of going out the exhaust pipe?

BTW, All of my farm machinery runs straight non detergent 40Wt.

JimG
09-16-2008, 02:59 PM
That old dude has run it's whole life, 42years and 3800 hours on Delo 40. Won't be changing anything, thanks! It's is a Perkins 3cyl. Runs like a champ!

If it dies, maybe FEMA will buy me a new tractor? Kidding, of course!

gcarter
09-16-2008, 03:40 PM
As damage reports continue to come in, it is apparent the coastal areas were severly impacted. Google Earth (http://google-latlong.blogspot.com/2008/09/aftermath-of-hurricane-ike.html) has an overlay to see the damage in the area, including Louisiana..
Quite sobering. As much as I like technology, I'm glad we didn't have this in place for Andrew...
These first two are supposed to be actual photo's from Seaview I think.. The third is a before/after from Crystal Beach... :( :(
I've seen several versions of the picture of Boliver w/that one house still standing......that would probably be a great reccomendation for that builder. If I were him, I'd put that on ALL my literature.

BigGrizzly
09-16-2008, 03:53 PM
Jim welcome to the hold out club, never again I did it a long time ago, a stupid move on my part.

JimG
09-16-2008, 04:31 PM
Randy, never again for me. I don't care if it's a 1, 2, 3 whatheheckever if it starts with an "H", I'M GONE! I'll put it this way, we had lifejackets close at hand. How crazy is that!

mrfixxall
09-16-2008, 05:30 PM
I've seen several versions of the picture of Boliver w/that one house still standing......that would probably be a great reccomendation for that builder. If I were him, I'd put that on ALL my literature.

mop i was thinking the same thing!! if i were to build a house their i want that builder to do it:)

fegettes
09-17-2008, 12:46 PM
Jim, I believe I my house is right down the road from you. I am off of Hughes Road. I was lucky. A friend went by my house Sunday and surveyed the outside. He said the mail box was knocked off of the post and a few limbs were down from the tree in front of my house. In the back yard I have a huge oak tree that hovers over my storage building and a 12' X 26' glass room attached to the back side of my house. And there was no damage in the back yard. I did get a call last night from my brother in law. He went to check on his boat that he keeps in the same storage where I keep my boats. As he drove to the storage, he saw the Blackhawk sitting out in the open. It had been in stall #4 and the first 7 or 8 stalls were completely gone. The Donzi Sport was secure. I work out of town and rarely get back home, so I am unable to prepare for impending castatrophes as they are predicted. Again, I was lucky.

I hope you get power back soon. I am sure it must be miserable.

Steve

harbormaster
09-17-2008, 09:26 PM
Actually as far as the weather after IKE goes we were blessed. We had an immediate cold front com in and it has been 55-65 at night with little humidity. Days have been about 80. It could have been very bad for the folks without power.