PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Pink Floyd Album.....

Donziweasel
09-15-2008, 06:40 PM
With Mr. Wright passing, thought it would be cool to see eveyone's favorite Floyd album. Whether you liked them or not, they have been around for 41 years.

chappy
09-15-2008, 06:53 PM
Thanks for the poll DW, one of my all time favorite bands.

Oh yeah, Dark Side here.

zelatore
09-15-2008, 07:17 PM
I'll throw in another vote for Dark Side.

And what's this 'Whether you liked them or not' stuff? Who DOESN'T like Floyd?

(am I showing my age here?)

Donziweasel
09-15-2008, 07:42 PM
No prob Chappy. I love Floyd and always have. Boo Boo has told me many times that if they ever go back on the road, it is the one concert she wants to see.

If you have never caught them live, it is truly a treat! I highly recommend it.

One thing about Floyd I was liked, they were not a one hit per album band. Whenever you bought a Floyd album, you knew all of it would be good, not just one or two songs. Don't see that much today.

MOP
09-15-2008, 07:46 PM
Quite a few of us were around when they made Dark Side, I still have that and maybe near a 100 of other good stuff from then. I need to buy/borrow a record player and crank up some of the old tunes.

Donziweasel
09-15-2008, 07:48 PM
Phil, you were a young buck when ole Dark Side came out. What, about 33?:wink:

MOP
09-15-2008, 09:43 PM
Yup!

sweet 16 1966
09-16-2008, 06:03 AM
I heard yesterday the Dark side sold 43 million so far and still going strong. Came out in 1973? I have a copy from a friend who passed last month. -- Memories...

Rootsy
09-16-2008, 07:39 AM
difficult to vote for just one... There isn't much Pink Floyd that I don't like...

I'd say it is a tie between the Final Cut, Wish You Were Here, The Wall and Dark Side of the Moon. Might toss the division bell in there also...

McGary911
09-16-2008, 09:45 AM
I'll throw in another vote for Dark Side.

And what's this 'Whether you liked them or not' stuff? Who DOESN'T like Floyd?

(am I showing my age here?)

Guilty. For some reason I've never liked Floyd. Actually enjoyed Roger Waters' solo stuff more.

And no one can argue with Nick Mason's taste in cars........\

I voted OTHER......as in none. :eek!:

zelatore
09-16-2008, 10:11 AM
Guilty. For some reason I've never liked Floyd. Actually enjoyed Roger Waters' solo stuff more.

Jeez....Doesn't like Floyd....

He might as well go amuse himself to death....

(actually, I did like that album as well)

Forrest
09-16-2008, 05:41 PM
Don't forget Pink Floyd's great 1969 album titled, Ummagumma (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ummagumma).

Barry Eller
09-19-2008, 07:04 AM
"The Wall" is my favorite album, "Comfortably Numb" is my favorite Floyd song. "Wish You Were Here" is a close second favorite song, I play it on my 12 string guitar often.

Donziweasel
09-19-2008, 01:38 PM
Barry, if you like Comfortably numb, you need to see them play it live. It was the encore when I saw them in 1988. Best live song by any band I have ever heard.

I pic a 12 string sometimes. Might have to get together one day......

Barry Eller
09-24-2008, 07:50 PM
Barry, if you like Comfortably numb, you need to see them play it live. It was the encore when I saw them in 1988. Best live song by any band I have ever heard.
I pic a 12 string sometimes. Might have to get together one day......

I have an Ovation mid-depth acoustic/electric 12 Sstring. It's smooth...

I would like to jam with you anytime.

Ghost
05-01-2011, 10:10 AM
I appreciate this poll because it is SO COMPLETELY agonizing to try to pick a best among these. Especially when you look at what I consider the big 3 (apologies to a few, I have not spent much time with Animals, The Final Cut, etc.):
1. The Wall (26 songs)
2. Dark Side of the Moon (9 songs)
3. Wish You Were Here (5 songs)

The Wall has the most variety/amount of awesomeness, third place on consistency. WYWH has the most consistency of awesomeness, third on variety/amount. Dark Side wins overall with second place on each scale.

Okay, I have tried really hard to play the "pick one album" game here.

But how can you stand to lose ANY of:
Comfortably Numb
Mother
Hey You
Run Like Hell
Another Brick in the Wall
Speak to Me
Time
Us and Them
Brain Damage
Eclipse
Wish You Were Here
Shine on You Crazy Diamond
Welcome to the Machine
So when you think about the music you'd be WITHOUT if you were stuck on a deserted island with only one album...

you'd have to consider swimming for it.

(And Gary, don't feel bad. The ear wants what it wants. I believe I SHOULD like Steely Dan or Santana, but neither does a thing for me.)

Carl C
05-01-2011, 06:39 PM
Neither of my favorites are on the list:mad:. Ummagumma and Meddle.:band:

Tony
05-02-2011, 11:10 AM
Van Morrison joined in on one verson of "Comfortably Numb"...that was sweet!

:beer:

Forrest
05-02-2011, 03:46 PM
Neither of my favorites are on the list:mad:. Ummagumma and Meddle.:band:

I second that Carl, the sheer sonic excellence of the studio side of the Ummagumma album is simply amazing. If anyone here hasn't heard this 1969 Pink Floyd album in a while, pull it out an give it another listen. It's an unbelievable recording.

PS: I see that I'm saying the same thing twice in the same thread!

f_inscreenname
05-04-2011, 11:28 AM
Being only 42 the Wall was an early fav until the Division Bell came out.

bzsmarina
05-08-2011, 08:45 AM

roger waters is still touring over seas. he has a web site. he was pink floyd.

Donziweasel
05-08-2011, 12:37 PM
roger waters is still touring over seas. he has a web site. he was pink floyd.

I disagree. Everything up until "The Wall" was a joint colaboration. The Wall and especially The Final Cut were Waters, and we see how well The Final Cut went.

Plus, post Final Cut, such as Momentary Lapse of Reason, Division Bell, etc...was all Gilmore. Plus, Gilmore had been hugely successful without Floyd. I also think Gilmore is an amazing guitarist while Waters is at best a run of the mill bassist.

Still, it was good to see them all together agian for Geldof's Live Aid.

Buddyc
05-08-2011, 01:14 PM
+1 Ummagumma

Brad Lyon
05-08-2011, 09:00 PM
My favorite was the one with the picture of the cow on the cover. Was that Meddle?