PDA

View Full Version : Intermitent Engine Problem and Iginition System ?

jvcobra
09-15-2008, 12:44 PM
I was out cruising in the 22 at about 3000 rpm on Saturday for about 15 minutes and then my engine just quit, like someone pulled the kill switch. After fooling around with it for a few minutes I was able to fire it back up and get underway. A few minutes later it quit again but fired back up and I was able to make it home. Thinking it might have been the kill switch I completely by-passed it and went for another run. This time it died twice and cut out a few times while underway without completely shutting down.

I'm thinking it must be some kind of ignition problem but I'm a little puzzled by the existing set up. The boat is an 87 but the engine is a modified 454 with supercharger. The previous owner has an MSD box and coil that is fired from a Mercury Quicksilver (15247A) ignition module with some kind of transformer attached to it.

My questions are:

Anyone know how to test the existing ignition module?

If the ignition module turns out to be the problem would I be better off buying a new MSD Billet distributor with the magnetic pickup? I'm confused why someone would spend $20k on this motor and not go this route in the first place.

Should I look anywhere else for the problem? (Fuel pump, etc)

Thanks for the help,
Joe

mrfixxall
09-15-2008, 12:53 PM
I was out cruising in the 22 at about 3000 rpm on Saturday for about 15 minutes and then my engine just quit, like someone pulled the kill switch. After fooling around with it for a few minutes I was able to fire it back up and get underway. A few minutes later it quit again but fired back up and I was able to make it home. Thinking it might have been the kill switch I completely by-passed it and went for another run. This time it died twice and cut out a few times while underway without completely shutting down.

I'm thinking it must be some kind of ignition problem but I'm a little puzzled by the existing set up. The boat is an 87 but the engine is a modified 454 with supercharger. The previous owner has an MSD box and coil that is fired from a Mercury Quicksilver (15247A) ignition module with some kind of transformer attached to it.

My questions are:

Anyone know how to test the existing ignition module?

If the ignition module turns out to be the problem would I be better off buying a new MSD Billet distributor with the magnetic pickup? I'm confused why someone would spend $20k on this motor and not go this route in the first place.

Should I look anywhere else for the problem? (Fuel pump, etc)

Thanks for the help,
Joe

Check all the connections,,i would bring a test light with you and ck the ignition switch first to make sure your getting power..

check the magnetic pickup coil in the dist,if it looks old and rusty get rid of it,theirs a updated one for it thats more anti corosion proof for about 52 bucks

Also is it a efi? check the fuel pump reley,might be over heating and may be melting the wire loom its plugged into from a loose connection..

Brian41
09-15-2008, 01:00 PM
I have had several marine ignition switches cause the same problems you are having over the years.

mrfixxall
09-15-2008, 01:06 PM
i see the boat forsale in the donzi section..that msd box may be a timing retard module for the super charger..

Some of those cobra drives had ignition interupts switches on them,could be one of those?

MOP
09-15-2008, 02:20 PM
Besides the above it could be as simple as the coil starting to break down, next time it quits put your hand on the coil. Fairly warm is fine but hot is NG!! It may or may not show signs of oil seeping out around the top.

Phil

jvcobra
09-15-2008, 04:00 PM
Thanks for the replies, I will definately add ignition switch to the list. As a matter of fact when I tried to re-fire the first time it didn't even turn over. I assumed that it was just still in gear even though I thought it was in neutral. This is a carb setup not efi.

Thanks for the help.

Joe

RedDog
09-15-2008, 06:38 PM
I vote for the ignition switch. Cheap to replace. Happened to me on my former OMC '90 18 Classic

TBroccoli
09-16-2008, 11:03 AM
Check the wire connections on the dash to the key. I hit a wave so hard a while back it knocked one of the wires under the dash loose. The engine shut right down. The wire was not completely off and would let me re-start but if I hit a wave it would come loose enough to shut down again.

jvcobra
09-19-2008, 10:32 AM
Just to put some closure on this, I was able to check things out last night. Some of you guys were spot on with the ignition switch. It wasn't the switch itself but the wire coming off the breaker that goes to the switch. The spade connector was loose and losing contact when I hit waves, etc. Glad I posted this or I would still be in the engine compartment.

Thanks,
Joe

zelatore
09-19-2008, 12:02 PM
Sweet. Good to know the board still has a use other than political rants!

(not that I claim any particular innocence)

Ghost
09-19-2008, 06:01 PM
Sweet. Good to know the board still has a use other than political rants!

(not that I claim any particular innocence)

Agreed. And I'm as guilty as anyone--time of the season...