PDA

View Full Version : Wookin Por Nub!

Dr. Dan
09-13-2008, 08:44 AM
:smash: Well...I am considering adding to the Fleet... I am looking at older Cigs and Formulas...and I think I am leaning towards older late 80's SR1's - anyone know what a 31' 1989 SR1 weighs? Or a 28SS Cig? I was looking at an older 35' Cig and the guy told me dry it was 10,800 lbs... thats insane...he said it was a Pig to move.

Not looking for speed...we're looking for a small portable condo on the water...nothing fancy but its gotta be straight, clean and stock power or new power. Probably less than $50,000.

I have heard good things about the late 80's Formulas, we want to be able to spend more time on the Chesapeake and overnite on occasion. What can anyone tell me about the Formulas... again I'm not looking for a 80mph Supercharged Fast Tech or used Top Gun...those boats are too big and more than I am after at this time. ( I am keeping the 22 Classic BTW).

Just looking for real life feedback...not conjecture!

Thanks In Advance...:doh:

Doc of the Bay :angel:

Trueser
09-13-2008, 08:58 AM
Dan,
I looked all of those also. The weights are killer. The 35 cig with trailer can weigh 14000 or more. Even the 28zx is at the upper limit of my 3/4 Yukon. Do you plan on tailoring it?

I like the 292 and possibly the 311.

Be careful some of the older formulas you may run into stringer/transom problems.

If you’re thinking on the 28ss I would also look at the 28ZX.

Mike

Dr. Dan
09-13-2008, 09:17 AM
:wink: Not planning on Trailering it much...just an hour or so to the Bay. I am looking for older Classic Cruiser or Offshore lines...nothing against the newer styles available but its not what I am after. In an ideal world I would stick some EFI 496 or 502's in it some day... but for now I am in search of the right Hull and in the right Condition.:doh:

I may not even pull the Trigger...but if it gets too big to Trailer I am not interested in it. I know that drill and its a nightmare and costly scenerio...just like anything... if I go newer...well than the choice is really quite broad. Most Donzis are not even candidates however...for what I want, they all have the wrong look IMO. for what I am looking for.

Heck I might even go for an older Express... in which case Towing is not at all likely.

Doc of Searched Vessels :cool:

Air 22
09-13-2008, 08:44 PM
Something along these lines?:) It even has similar color tones....:doh::cool:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Boats_Power-Motorboats__F-271-SRI-FORMULA-BOAT_W0QQitemZ300257389470QQddnZBoatsQQadnZPowerQ2 0Q26Q20MotorboatsQQddiZ2831QQadiZ2795QQcmdZViewIte m?hash=item300257389470&_trkparms=72%3A727%7C39%3A1%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

handfulz28
09-13-2008, 09:32 PM
Something like this? 1991 Formula 311 Sr-1, 8000lbs dry. I pulled it on an aluminum triple with my '01 Yukon XL with 8.1L 4wd with 3.73 gears. Pulled great.

The boat is a tank. I had almost 1200hrs on stock 454MAGs (365hp) and with 23p Mirages saw low-60s on smooth water and wind. She'd go 40mph (at 3200rpm) through 3-4s with little excitement. Any faster and you just have to work the throttles.

The SR-1s of this vintage ran from '86-91, although the SR-1 class ran until 1995. The hull was designed for TRS drives, so most of the ''86-89 boats will be so equipped. Mine was a Bravo boat and from everything I read, the only tangible difference is my Bravo boat had tons of room to work in front of the motors whereas the TRS boats weren't so roomy.

The other models you'll probably find are the 272 and 292. Besides length and cabin differences, the only difference is in the hull where these 2 had a hook built in. The 292 is a BBC only model that was only produced for 2-3 years. The 272 was offered in SBC and BBC.

Something to note when crossing over from the '86-91 to the '92-95 boats: the "early" years' lengths/model designations were without the Silent Thunder swim platform whereas the later years' lengths included the swim platform. So the 271 linked is actually about a 25' boat. There's also a later model "292", which would compare lengthwise to the "early" 272.

Other than the fact they are 20 year old boats, and most will need a good survey and some TLC, they are incredible values. I sold mine a few months ago and I miss it like hell. There might be a couple deals to be had, and some other owners must be including a couple of gold bars in their asking price. But ask any thing you want and I'll do my best to share what I've learned.

Michael

ITTLFLI
09-13-2008, 09:45 PM
I like the late 80's early 90's Formulas! Dad had one back when I was in high school! Cool great riding boat.

One of my buddys has a 88(or so) 357. BAD ASS boat! Can pile the hole crew in and go! Waves?...who said waves! Here's a pic of the x latched to it. The truck handled it great!

Air 22
09-13-2008, 09:50 PM
http://www.ablboats.com/details.php?id=83186:wink:

handfulz28
09-13-2008, 10:33 PM
Prices are all over the place...
http://www.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/mash.cgi?cat=cpboat&itm=formula&state=&fil=311&ys=&ye=

http://www.boattrader.com/search-results/NewOrUsed-any/Type-any/Zip-10101/Radius-any/Make-formula/Length-31,33/Year-1986,1991/More-all/Sort%2DPrice:DESC/

Dr. Dan
09-14-2008, 01:14 AM
:smash: Michael (handfulz) Thanks - a few questions...
1.) Fuel Tank Capacity? 150 gallons?
2.) Fresh Water Tank Capacity?
3.) 420 Mercs - I was told these were great motors - roller rockers and a stout internal package.
4.) So if a 8.1 L - Yukon XL can pull one than my Harley PSD F-250 should handle it without worries I would imagine?

I have found that the super clean ones are in the $30 to upper $40's - everything in the $20's has been a bit nasty looking. Man this was definitely the cut off for the Teal and South Beach Color Era? I can't believe they used to keep all the dashes Black? What were they thinking?

These sizes are nice... looking to overnite if I want to and head down the Bay and not worry as much about the water - like I have to in the 22 Classic.

I understand the Borg Warner TRS' are real good drives - smooth operations and great handling around the docks?

Thanks For the input Mike I appreciate your experience with these.

Doc of Dastardly Formulas :doh:

handfulz28
09-14-2008, 11:05 AM
:smash: Michael (handfulz) Thanks - a few questions...
Correct, but there's probably 10gals you'll never get to 1.) Fuel Tank Capacity? 150 gallons?
14gals 2.) Fresh Water Tank Capacity?
Great motors, be cautious of original Gil/Merc exhaust 3.) 420 Mercs - I was told these were great motors - roller rockers and a stout internal package.
Agreed 4.) So if a 8.1 L - Yukon XL can pull one than my Harley PSD F-250 should handle it without worries I would imagine?

I have found that the super clean ones are in the $30 to upper $40's - everything in the $20's has been a bit nasty looking. Man this was definitely the cut off for the Teal and South Beach Color Era? I can't believe they used to keep all the dashes Black? What were they thinking?

These sizes are nice... looking to overnite if I want to and head down the Bay and not worry as much about the water - like I have to in the 22 Classic.

I understand the Borg Warner TRS' are real good drives - smooth operations and great handling around the docks?

Thanks For the input Mike I appreciate your experience with these.

Doc of Dastardly Formulas :doh:

As for prices, you never know. They could ask $40k for something that would take $10k in "TLC" to make really nice. Or you could find something in the $20k range that doesn't need anything to get out and enjoy but it might be underpowered, have high hours, or needs cosmetic TLC.

The blue and red hullsides are the best looking boats.

Dr. Dan
09-14-2008, 12:57 PM
:smash:Mike (Handfulz) check your Private Mail....

Thanks

Doc :wink:

mrfixxall
09-14-2008, 03:06 PM
Hey doc.i have a friend who has a 1997 formula 312 fast tech.twin 454 efi with bravos.the boat comes with a pair of bravo 1 four blades and a pair of mercury 5 blade propellers which are on the boats now.iat the beginning of summer i sold him brand new emi thunder exhaust with ss risers.also has all new livorsi guages with gps speedo..ill get some pics and post them..The boat and trailer needs nothing and is turn key fresh water boat and stored inside a heated warehouse..
he will take $55,000 for it and the 3 axle trailer (has 0 miles on new tires)

Pm me if your interested..

glashole
09-15-2008, 07:18 AM
Danny

probably not what you are after but there was a real nice 2004 29 fastec up here that I was looking at , under 50 hours
twin 350's with bravos on a trailer

they wanted 70 for it and i opted to go for a cruiser instead, but still kind of wish i had gone this way, real nice boat

I made a deal to include the taxes at that

good luck on your search

Shea

BUIZILLA
09-15-2008, 11:23 AM

:angel: :cool:

chappy
09-16-2008, 11:55 AM
:hijack:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_upXE3IGY4&feature=related

The origin of the good Doctor's thread title. Funny stuff.

Dr. Dan
09-16-2008, 07:13 PM
:hijack:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_upXE3IGY4&feature=related

The origin of the good Doctor's thread title. Funny stuff.

I don't care who ya are Dat Dar Is Som Phunny Stuff Right Thar? :eek!: I always to try to bring out the subtle humor that is our life...and the times we live in.

Thanks Chappy... that is hysterical.

Doc of High Speed Jet Piloted Coleman Coolers... more later. :smash:

need for speed
09-16-2008, 07:21 PM
I love those older Formula's THEY STILL LOOK SO GOOOD!:wink:

gold-n-rod
09-16-2008, 07:51 PM
Abother favorite, Mr. Robinson's neighborhood!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1vVCXXLGbY&feature=related

Great stuff! :wink: