PDA

View Full Version : I've been out

zelatore
09-12-2008, 09:40 PM
I've been out of the office most of the week so I haven't been here to stir up trouble on the political side.

I know you all miss me....:propeller:

Here's what I've been up to this week-

72 feet
Cat C32's; 1400 hp ea
28 knots at 80% load
31 knots at 100% load
Gyro stabalized

It can be yours for about $4 mil.

Donziweasel
09-12-2008, 10:04 PM
Can we trade places for a week Don?:biggrin.::yes:

zelatore
09-13-2008, 12:28 AM
Part II

zelatore
09-13-2008, 12:35 AM
Don't worry, just because the big parts are put together and it runs there's still plenty of work to do. I've probably got a week's worth of debugging ahead of me followed by wrestling with suppliers for whatever parts I need.

George - you might recognize the yard; it's the same place I went by when you were out.

Tony
09-13-2008, 09:11 AM
The prop reminds me of what my old Volvo 200 used to spin.
I wonder how much that bad boy costs?

:beer:

McGary911
09-13-2008, 09:16 AM
It's official Don. Your job is way cool.

Wish you were on the board when I used to visit my sis in San Fran. I would have figured out how to mooch a ride somehow ;)

BigGrizzly
09-13-2008, 10:32 AM
How much for two:smash:

gcarter
09-13-2008, 10:39 AM
Indeed that's impressive.
So a "720" is a 72?
Does the interior come out also, or does it stay in place? Is there a lot of connections to make, or has some commitment been made to modularize it.

zelatore
09-13-2008, 06:05 PM
Yeah, 720 for 72 feet. That's LOA though, so actual deck length is a little less. Not like I've put a tape on it, but previously this model was called a 70. Typical marketing stuff. At least they didn't add a beak.

The interior is pretty much assembled. A lot of trim to install that covers the access points for securing the parts together, but the furniture and wood work are basically done. Good thing as we'd never be able to dublicate the finish work in the field. As for connections - there are plenty of those. I'd guess a couple hundred at least for AC, DC, plumbing, drainage, aircon, A/V, nav, etc. Everything is pretty well labeled though. They make all their wiring harnesses in-house, right down to the molded connectors so that helps. On this one we had some confusion on the A/V coax as they pulled cables for a sat TV system but we didn't order it from the factory (no doubt I'll install one when it sells though - very common upgrade)

It took a lot of tweaking and fine adjustments to get each part to settle in place on it's mating surface. I had 3 guys on hand, plus three from the factory's set-up team who came out since this was our first version of this model, plus manpower from the yard we were working in who helped with communicating with the lift operator. Figure a guy on each corner of the boat handling lines to keep it lined up in the ways (4) , a radio man (1) to talk to the operator (1), a guy on each corner watching that things lined up (4) and a couple guys (2) running around inside and out pulling cables and generally looking for tight spots. This one was particularly difficult to line up, so figure about 2 hours in the lift for each section x all that manpower. It's not cheap.

We've still got a lot of work to do, but it's not stuff the public sees right off. For example, even though the Gyro system is mounted in the boat, none of the plumbing or wiring is done. Since I haven't installed this brand before, that will take a little time to figure out.

At least this one was ordered with a factory installed watermaker. Good move-I hate installing them after the fact and this boat will definatly want one. The only thing worse is adding a waste treatment system. That's never fun!

gcarter
09-13-2008, 06:45 PM
The only thing worse is adding a waste treatment system. That's never fun!

Yeah, particularly a few years out. Or a broken Raritan.

samjannarone
09-14-2008, 12:30 PM
Will work on this boat for food...or water...or nothing. Cool job, I want one like it.........please