PDA

View Full Version : 18 or 22?

TexasChopper
09-12-2008, 03:56 PM
It's almost time to become a 1st time boat owner and I had decided a 22 Classic is the what I would like. I was scanning ebay this afternoon and came across the Black 08 18 Classic that is listed, and really caught my eye. I am not interested in purchasing that boat, this is going to be a late winter, early spring thing, I am just curious for those that have/had them both is there a tremendous difference between the two other then the 4 feet? We live on a small/medium lake in N. Ga that I have yet to see very rough. I am looking for something we can drive into a cove to hang out on, maybe drive down to the local resturant and that is about it. As far as speed, I would love to 75-80, but if I could only go 60-65 that would ok as well. So..... are the two night and day?

Thanks

Seth

chappy
09-12-2008, 04:02 PM
Hey Seth,

Welcome to the board. Instead of waiting for others to respond, try the search feature at the top of the page. There is a wealth of information on this topic, and it will serve you better to search and read, if you wait for responses, you may miss some great information that's already been typed in. Good luck, and nice choice for a boat.:yes:

Last Tango
09-12-2008, 04:21 PM
Chappy is absolutely correct on this. We have beaten this topic to death over and over through the years, but it is fair to say that, yes, they are different as night and day, and yes the gang will be split down the middle as to which will serve your needs better in the short run and the long run.
The "average" Classic 18 has a 350 Mag engine with 250-300 HP depending on age. The "average" Classic 22 will be found with a 454 or 496 depending on age, and anywhere from 300 to 400+ hp depending on age. The BEST thing to do is ride in each one and then make your choice as to what you want to hunt for. Until you ride in each, you will be left just as clueless by the discussions as before. There are many board members here who live in your neck of the woods and would be happy to give you a ride in their boat.

RedDog
09-12-2008, 07:21 PM
if you can make it up to Knoxville we can ride you in a 18 Classic, 20 Minx, and 22 Classic. While looks are similar, the rides are totally different

Donzi Vol
09-12-2008, 09:58 PM
Yeah...what they all said! You really do need to get in both. Personally, I love an 18 Classic. However, when I'm driving/riding in a 22, I love a 22. They are totally different, and it really just depends on how you want to feel as you're cruising down the lake. Somewhere, sometime on this board one of the members made the comment that riding in an 18 is like riding on TOP of the boat, and riding in a 22 is like riding IN the boat. I thought that was a great illustration. Either way, you can't go wrong. And WELCOME to the board!!!

p.s. I've got one of the 18's in Knoxville and would be happy to take you for a ride in the coming weeks.

yeller
09-12-2008, 11:11 PM
We live on a small/medium lake in N. Ga that I have yet to see very rough.I'd definately go with an 18. Based on your above comment, I'd consider a 16 or 18, not an 18 or 22. I went from a 16 to a 22 and if I boated in calmer waters, I'd take the 16 any day of the week. My 16 topped out at about 60mph and my 22 will go 80+, but there is just no comparison on the fun scale. The 16 (and I imagine the 18) wins hands down......EASILY! :yes:

mrfixxall
09-13-2008, 12:14 AM
It's almost time to become a 1st time boat owner and I had decided a 22 Classic is the what I would like. I was scanning ebay this afternoon and came across the Black 08 18 Classic that is listed, and really caught my eye. I am not interested in purchasing that boat, this is going to be a late winter, early spring thing, I am just curious for those that have/had them both is there a tremendous difference between the two other then the 4 feet? We live on a small/medium lake in N. Ga that I have yet to see very rough. I am looking for something we can drive into a cove to hang out on, maybe drive down to the local resturant and that is about it. As far as speed, I would love to 75-80, but if I could only go 60-65 that would ok as well. So..... are the two night and day?
Thanks
Seth
If you want to go those speeds then you may if you have the xtra cash look at a 22 shelby or a good used modifyed 22..A 18 you have to work at those speeds but a 22 has more comfort at 80 mph..

TexasChopper
09-13-2008, 08:32 AM
riding in an 18 is like riding on TOP of the boat, and riding in a 22 is like riding IN the boat. I thought that was a great illustration.

Yes that is a good way to give a description between the two. Thanks for the input, and thanks to everyone who has offered a ride.

Around Feb/March I am going to get serious about finding something.

Dr. Dan
09-13-2008, 09:07 AM
:smash:I would suggest you attend some Events...go to the Destin Florida Event... see and talk live to real owners and fake ones. Come out to Lake Cumberland next May... there will be alot of rides available there.

:wink: The analogy is accurate with riding ON TOP of the WATER, not on top of the Boat for an 18. Hands down the 18 is the most preferred Classic Hull, your search will bear this out.

The 22's are more fickle...and only true "Professional Race Boat Drivers" like we saw a few weeks ago in Lake George should ever attempt to actually drive their boats hard! Don't believe me just ask that Crew...they were a tight knit group...I understand they even shared the same room without a Bath Fan? :screwy:

Take your time... there are plenty out there to be had.

Doc of Nubulous Content :popcorn:

BigGrizzly
09-13-2008, 11:12 AM
I have both, I won't give up either. Follow Doc's advice. They are two different animals. My wife calls the 18 my corvette and the 22 a suv.

TexasChopper
09-14-2008, 03:46 PM
I have both. My wife calls the 18 my corvette and the 22 a suv.

Thanks for that reply....

I have Corvette's and want more...I think the 18 just took the lead:yes:

What's happening on Lake Cumberland in May? Donzi owners deal? L. Cumberland is not too far from us.

BigGrizzly
09-14-2008, 05:30 PM
Cumberland is a great event called Awakening Of The Horses. Lots of stuff goes on, But I will let the organizers tell you about it Your on Road Trip, Jerry, Byron and Bolts. I did the revers alphabet order just because my Mom use to hate it.