PDA

View Full Version : New 18....

Donziweasel
09-10-2008, 10:29 AM
Sitting here in Denver, Boo Boo and I were looking at Scot's 22 pics. She surprised the hell out of me. She said "You know, our 16 is kinda small. Why don't you sell it right now and then spend the winter looking for a nice 18 or 22 without a windshield". I almost cried. Damn, I love that woman!

ky-donzi
09-10-2008, 10:40 AM
DO-IT-MAN

get a procharger too...

The Hedgehog
09-10-2008, 11:24 AM
Cool, sounds like she understands.

Another vote for what Ky-Donzi said.

BigGrizzly
09-10-2008, 12:08 PM
So I am getting my props back? Have fun, now lets see: new motor, hydraulic steering, blower, paint shorty, props, and a new color matched tow vehicle.:wink::nilly:

MOP
09-10-2008, 12:49 PM
Make the big leap 16 to 22 is massive unlike 16 to 18, true the 18 is in many respects a better boat then the 16 but still not a 22.

Donziweasel
09-10-2008, 04:07 PM
Hard call. I really like the feeling of sitting on the boat rather than in it, hence an 18. On the other hand, a bbc 22 has a lot of potential If I go 18, it will get a blower. Need to call Jamie at Lakeside.:wink:

harbormaster
09-10-2008, 04:49 PM
DW come on down and take it for a spin...(after Hurricane season)

Donziweasel
09-10-2008, 05:31 PM
Scot, would love to! If I get Boo Boo in a red bikini, think Jefe would be around?:wink: Love to do some fishing with him one day.

Seriously, Boo Boo and are driving back east next spring. Going to hit AOTH on the way. On they way back, would love to stop in, see that beautiful 22, and take a ride. Fuel and drinks are on me!:)

If you ever feel the call of the Rockie, mi casa su casa. Would love to treat ya to a Wyoming vacation at the Lazy P.

The Hedgehog
09-10-2008, 05:51 PM
Scot, would love to! If I get Boo Boo in a red bikini, think Jefe would be around?:wink: Love to do some fishing with him one day.
Seriously, Boo Boo and are driving back east next spring. Going to hit AOTH on the way. On they way back, would love to stop in, see that beautiful 22, and take a ride. Fuel and drinks are on me!:)
If you ever feel the call of the Rockie, mi casa su casa. Would love to treat ya to a Wyoming vacation at the Lazy P.

And your route will take you right through TN. Drinks and accomodations will be waiting!

Donziweasel
09-10-2008, 06:28 PM
Bill, you know damn well no road trip back east would be complete without seeing my TN brothers!:wink: Just make sure Last Real Texan knows we are coming.:wink: Should be towing an 18 with a high pitched whine with me.

I am hoping to have as my signature-

"Got Boost? Why yes, yes I do, thank you for asking Hedgehog."

Would like to run into KY-Donzi as well. Want to see his blown 18 setup.

Posted the 16 for sale and already got an offer within 20 minutes! Close, but, not quite what I would take. Maybe if Boo Boo in a bikini on the bow was not part of the deal.................

chappy
09-10-2008, 07:24 PM
Buy that 18 with the scorp on ebay and rip the windshield off.

BUIZILLA
09-10-2008, 07:36 PM
Buy that 18 with the scorp on ebay and rip the windshield off.
now here's a smart man.. :wink:

Donziweasel
09-10-2008, 08:17 PM
Lookin.......Boo Boo likes the damn windshield.:wink:

BLACKIE
09-10-2008, 08:20 PM
I've got a great BBC 18' for sale in Michigan...Check the Donzis for sale thread. I will even deliver it...within reason of course...

gcarter
09-10-2008, 08:29 PM
22:smash:

harbormaster
09-10-2008, 08:46 PM
22 definitely.. The ride is much nicer.

You sit ON an 18 and sit IN a 22. I have had both. Don't get me wrong. The 18 is a blast....For you. But Not boo boo. Unless you are putting around slowly, The 18 is a white knuckle ride for most passengers. The 22 takes waves alot smoother.

mrfixxall
09-10-2008, 08:57 PM
22 Shelby

http://www.boats.com/boats/search/boats_search.html?slim=quick&sm=3&Ntk=boatsEN&sfm=false&luom=126&currencyid=100&bn=homepage&fromLength=&toLength=&bcint=&bclint=&man=donzi&is=&Ntt=22+classic&pszipcode=ZipCode&psdistance=1

ky-donzi
09-10-2008, 09:00 PM
First of all DW if you make it to Ky let me know, we'll go for a ride.

Second I haven't riden in a 22, but I can see how it seems that you sit "on" a 18 and "in" a 22.

The lake that I boat on alot has a 18' limit.

So I'm restricted to that size,

but I kinda like the white knuckle ride, Makes for fun conversation when you take some people who have spent there whole boating life in 30 mph bayliners. They seem to have the "Kodiac Moment" stuck on there face when you return to the dock after a high speed run in some chop.

ky-donzi
09-10-2008, 09:27 PM
Oh and I will add a funny tid-bit to this... about a month ago I took my brother and cousin for a ride. Neither of them are very aquatic, my brother has maybe been on a boat 4 times in his life.... my brother was seated in the back seat and when we returned to the dock he had unsnaped the entire rear seat cushion.. He said "Da*n I was tryn to find something solid to hold on to"

I'm not tryn to say that my boats "all that" because it's Not... but for unexperenced passangers,,, they can get alittle shook up

roadtrip se
09-10-2008, 09:38 PM
This one isn't easy, not easy at all.

But having had access to two really quick Donzi Classics over the last year or so, an 18 Scorpion and a 22 500 EFI, the 22 wins hands down in the fun factor, control at speed, ride, and passenger comfort areas. Of course, neither one of these boats is a typical Classic configuration.

No comparison... but it really depends on what you are looking to do.

osur866
09-10-2008, 10:08 PM
DW, if you get half way to Ky. stop by me in Kansas City and you can drive my 18 with a few minor mods. Steve

Lenny
09-10-2008, 10:48 PM
Deneen would like a 22 AS WELL AS an 18. Me, ... no question... an 18 is the only choice and just add more power when you get bored.

I have run in a lot of large water in mine and have had no problems... the fun factor in an 18 is double that of the 22 in my opinion. :)

...go ahead... I'm ready.

osur866
09-10-2008, 10:54 PM
Ditto on the large water in an 18 throw in large and confused LOTO water, everytime I take my 70 yr old father out in a little slop down there he just smiles and says damn when they designed these they did it right :biggrin: Steve

RedDog
09-11-2008, 06:56 AM
An 18 is more fun but for the over-all boating experience I prefer my 22. I use to have an 18 with a big block that was great for the driver's smiles. Not so much for the passenger's.

Besides, the "Boss" likes the 22 much more.

Kirbyvv
09-11-2008, 07:29 AM
I'm with Lenny, 18 all the way.

Donziweasel
09-11-2008, 07:54 AM
I told Boo Boo the general consensus of this thread, that most of you say the ride is better in the 22 for the passenger. I also explained that you sit "in" a 22 and "on" a 16 or 18.

She thought for a moment and then said "I like the ride of our 16 and I like being close to the water and going fast, get the 18". I think I almost cried again.:wink:

I guess you have to understand Boo Boo. She snowmobiles with the big boys, hunts elk, etc... Don't get me wrong, she definetly has a feminine side, but she is also an adreniline junky in a way. She is tough as nails and very beautiful at the same time. Never met anyone who didn't like Boo Boo as soon as they meet her. She is also quiet and shy the first time she meets people. Tamm will have that pleasure today at lunch.

A couple of things, Blackie, love your boat. Unfortunatly, I don't think it will work for me. That nice 420 horse engine will only have about 320 hp up here. With the hours, I don't think it is a good candidate for a blower, plus room might be a factor. It deserves to go to a good home and I hope someone worthy buys it.

OSUR866, thank you very much for the offer. We might actually go that way. I would like to return the favor, as I would like to extend it to all the members here, if you ever feel the call of the Rockie's, you have freinds to stay with. I know Boo Boo wants to see friends in Little Rock as well. Any members around there? Damn, there are some good people on this board.:)

For now, it will be an 18. Haven't told Boo Boo that I plan on a 22 as well a few years down the road!

Now, someone sack up and buy my 16 so i can get on with it!:nilly::smash::eek!:

BUIZILLA
09-11-2008, 08:05 AM
buy my old Minx and stick a blower on that...

ky-donzi
09-11-2008, 08:43 AM
The Scorpin on ebay with a blower outa compensate for the high allitude.

My guess is that would be one bad mamer-jamer

mattyboy
09-11-2008, 08:53 AM
ok all you 18 guys have the line on a late model 18 classic new 450hp motor bravo and a shortie what are the real world speed estimates???
and please don't ask where or who i didn't fall off the turnip truck yesterday if it doesn't pan out I'll spill the beans

Ric
09-11-2008, 09:02 AM
If you can this is the way to go:yes:
I'm keeping our 16 and will add 22's when ever the chance comes along While in wating on a 39 Top Gun Unlimited
Just my 2cents
Thanks and God Bless!
Ric:)

ky-donzi
09-11-2008, 09:05 AM
Mattyboy

Everything matching well (prop, shorty, ect) im going to guess 79-82 mph... My 2 cents

mrfixxall
09-11-2008, 09:11 AM
ok all you 18 guys have the line on a late model 18 classic new 450hp motor bravo and a shortie what are the real world speed estimates???
and please don't ask where or who i didn't fall off the turnip truck yesterday if it doesn't pan out I'll spill the beans

Have you been poking around my garage? Its a 454cid but its not a big block,also its part bravo 1 and part bravo 3 and its well over 500hp :)

Donziweasel
09-11-2008, 09:19 AM

BBC or SBC?

BTW, Boo Boo has one stipulation, can't be red. She likes blue and teal.

If that Scorpion was just 2,000.00 cheaper.

Todd, since you have real world experience with a 18 Scorpion, how did you like it? Reliable? Good candidate for a blower? What drive did you have behind it? Don't know if I can look at the one on ebay much longer without saying, WTF!

Donziweasel
09-11-2008, 09:35 AM
Busted! Boo Boo read this thread and saw my 22 comments. She was not amused. Guess I will have to get the family boat she wants. Hmmm........26 ZX with a blower is family oriented, isn't it? Wakeboard tower? Bill, care to comment? When we visit, I am placing a lot of trust in you to convince Boo Boo how docile and family oriented a blown 600 hp ZX is!:smash: LRT, you had better back me up as well!

Don't worry, she is still all for the 18.

roadtrip se
09-11-2008, 09:47 AM
BBC or SBC?
BTW, Boo Boo has one stipulation, can't be red. She likes blue and teal.
If that Scorpion was just 2,000.00 cheaper.
Todd, since you have real world experience with a 18 Scorpion, how did you like it? Reliable? Good candidate for a blower? What drive did you have behind it? Don't know if I can look at the one on ebay much longer without saying, WTF!

I would do both. Of course, I would go with some sort of Donzi, my preference being the 22, and something bigger...

As for the Scorpion. We loved it and we ran it hard. I did spend some time tuning the boat for handling, as the tabs were hooking and causing the boat to fly and land in strange ways. The boat ran 75-ish and I think that is fast enough. It had the Bravo XZ, the XR on the ebay ad is a much better drive, as I have had both. We did replace the gear set in the XZ and ran the boat a lot of hours afterwards, which is the only reliability issue we had with it. The Bravo does make the boat butt heavy, so you have to land it carefully. We loved the torque curve on the Scorpion, very flat and predictable.

As for the ebay ad, I was kidding with Trueser the other night that the engine and the drive are worth more than what he is asking for the entire package. I suggested to Mike that he buy the boat for the engine and drive as a spare and I would take the leftovers.

The boat on ebay is a steal. If you got to do an 18, I would step up just for the engine and drive combo...

Donziweasel
09-11-2008, 09:53 AM
Screw it, I'm putting in a bid........:nilly:

Done!

chappy
09-11-2008, 10:00 AM
Screw it, I'm putting in a bid........:nilly:

Done!

HELL YEAH, me jealous.:smash:

Donziweasel
09-11-2008, 10:03 AM
Chappy, your recommendation was instrumental in the madness behind the decision. :wink:

Well, only bidder so far.

mrfixxall
09-11-2008, 10:07 AM
Chappy, your recommendation was instrumental in the madness behind the decision. :wink:
DW try to pm the guy,mabe he would be willing to work out some sort of trade + $$

Donziweasel
09-11-2008, 10:23 AM
He runs it on Tahoe, which is comparable in elevation to me. Now, about those tabs................

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w190/johnnyalltrans/5f2d_12.jpg

I am fired up!:nilly:

ky-donzi
09-11-2008, 10:36 AM
Bad A&& boat!! I would have chose it over mine if it was avaible when I bought mine.. I believe that I would fix the tabs..

mjw930
09-11-2008, 10:43 AM
He runs it on Tahoe, which is comparable in elevation to me. Now, about those tabs................
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w190/johnnyalltrans/5f2d_12.jpg
I am fired up!:nilly:

It looks like the performance shop that installed the Scorp did the tabs. That's a common practice in offshore boats that spend as much time out of the water as in. The idea is it stabilizes the boat on re-entry with a flat surface parallel to the center line. Tabs mounted to match the deadrise can pitch the boat sideways on re-entry. Tabs in that position are there to stabilize the boat at high speed in rough water, not to balance an off center load at cruise.

ky-donzi
09-11-2008, 10:45 AM
MJW

I didn't realize that... thanks. Makes sense tho

The Hedgehog
09-11-2008, 10:50 AM
It looks like the performance shop that installed the Scorp did the tabs. That's a common practice in offshore boats that spend as much time out of the water as in. The idea is it stabilizes the boat on re-entry with a flat surface parallel to the center line. Tabs mounted to match the deadrise can pitch the boat sideways on re-entry. Tabs in that position are there to stabilize the boat at high speed in rough water, not to balance an off center load at cruise.

I have seen that in some racers too. I am kicking that idea around on my 26ZX

Donziweasel
09-11-2008, 10:53 AM
If the boat is off center at cruise, will dropping one straighten it out, or is it simply for high speed stability and re-entry?

The Hedgehog
09-11-2008, 10:56 AM
Busted! Boo Boo read this thread and saw my 22 comments. She was not amused. Guess I will have to get the family boat she wants. Hmmm........26 ZX with a blower is family oriented, isn't it? Wakeboard tower? Bill, care to comment? When we visit, I am placing a lot of trust in you to convince Boo Boo how docile and family oriented a blown 600 hp ZX is!:smash: LRT, you had better back me up as well!
Don't worry, she is still all for the 18.

I got you covered. A 600 hp version would make a good family boat. Tex has spent literally days in his toting around young ones in his 27ZX. His son Carter loves to go up in the cabin and crash out. It is perfect because you don't have to go in for nap time. Plus it is great for hauling around a bunch of the kind of stuff you need for a day on the water.

We had my 26 down in Bama earlier this year. My cousin and sister's kids all jumped in the 26 when it was time for boat rides. I tried to sneak out for some high speed passes but could not keep them out of it. They were going crazy. Their smiles were priceless.

chappy
09-11-2008, 11:06 AM
Roadtrip can probably shed some light on the tab angles, may have something to do with the quirks he was speaking of.

Donziweasel
09-11-2008, 11:46 AM
Will a procharger for a 350 go on it without too many headaches? I'd like to have over 500 hp @ sea level. Would put me at around 400 up here.

roadtrip se
09-11-2008, 11:47 AM
Those tabs look like a three foot tall wing-type spoiler you see the kids gluing on their ancient ricer-mobiles. And probably, just about as useful. Of course, the used boat factory works in mysterious ways and the Scorpion and the XR more than makes up for these goofy things.

MJW hit it. You see these on the ZRCs of the world, because they need fast predictable tab input. The straight edge allows for an even and predictable attack angle to the water. And some claim, faster response, because you end up with more tab in the water at the trailing edge quicker.
A tab is a tab, so the intended purpose doesn't change, so you could try utilizing these things for balance control, but I wouldn't.

So theory aside, my real world experience proves out that the 18 doesn't need tab input at all. Maybe at the rocket speeds the Mighty Mouse ran at, but not at 70-ish. The issue I uncovered on our 18 was that the stops on the rams were too long, forcing the rams to stay extended. On the water,
the boat would loft due to water conditions and then grab one of these extended tabs and hook. I called Bennett, they sent me shorter stops, I got the tabs up and out of the water, and no more hooking.

You probably wouldn't run into this issue, because they are so high up on the transom, that they probably won't grab when you don't want them to.
But, those things are awfully long too, which brings up a whole other list of issues, if you chose to drop one in the water. Not really worth the aggravation.

I would buy the boat, tear these things off, ebay'em, and go back to a twin ram Bennett. You could spend bigger money for nicer stuff, but why bother when you won't use them that much any way.

End of commentary....

roadtrip se
09-11-2008, 11:54 AM
Will a procharger for a 350 go on it without too many headaches? I'd like to have over 500 hp @ sea level. Would put me at around 400 up here.

I know of a whipple kit. Read about a twin Eliminator cat in Powerboat a while back and I think there is a twin Scorpion boat running around a 100 on Lake Winni with these kits too.

I wouldn't want to be any where near you at seal level, should you try this on the 18...

ky-donzi
09-11-2008, 12:04 PM
I'm going to say that the procharger will go on it brackets wise no problem,,,, But the air intake is alittle different on the scop. engine. It would problably require a remote intercooler similar to the ones used on the BB chevy engines. Then duct work into the air intake of the engine. It wouldn't be a simple boat on kit... but not to difficult either... I don't think anyway.

Donziweasel
09-11-2008, 02:42 PM
I wouldn't want to be any where near you at seal level, should you try this on the 18...

Just because you have 500 hp at sea level doesn't mean you have to use it.:eek!: I wouldn't without external steering and a few other things. BUT, once set up, ????? I am not afraid of speed, but I am not stupid either. Would work myself slowly up in speed.............and Todd you might not want to be near me, but I bet you wouldn't mind a turn behind the wheel.:wink: To each his own I guess.

Plus, I would probably only be sea level at Cumberland. Be at 3000 ft at Powell.

Still high bidder.:)

BUIZILLA
09-11-2008, 02:47 PM
I wouldn't without external seating and a few other things. now there's a new fresh idea worth considering.. :angel:

Donziweasel
09-11-2008, 02:50 PM
Jim, it's the newest thing. Twin seats off the back by the drive.:smash: Ooops. Better correct that. External STEERING.

ky-donzi
09-11-2008, 02:59 PM
Ooops. Better correct that. External STEERING.

My next investment...

RedDog
09-11-2008, 04:10 PM
...The issue I uncovered on our 18 was that the stops on the rams were too long, forcing the rams to stay extended. On the water, the boat would loft due to water conditions and then grab one of these extended tabs and hook. I called Bennett, they sent me shorter stops, I got the tabs up and out of the water, and no more hooking....

Or you can open the ram cylinder, hacksaw the stop, file to remove the burrs, close it up and go...

MP had a post on this mod way back there. Seems Bennett may have had the instructions on their site as well?

BigGrizzly
09-11-2008, 04:36 PM
I have heard this story before, stop at Cumberland then follow me to see your MOM, its a though.

Donziweasel
09-11-2008, 04:39 PM
Mom was just here actually.:) Flew in for a week.

I will send the Turbo's back when I get back to Jackson. No use spending the money on them when I am selling the boat. Will just sell it with the Vengence. It ran pretty good with it. Thanks for letting me try them. You da man! PM me what I owe you for shipping.

Sounds like I will need to test a few different ones next year.

Team Jefe
09-11-2008, 06:08 PM
Man, sorry I missed this. I would have guessed you were an 18 man. I love 'em, but the water we are on can be dangerous...even for a 22.

the 18 Scorp was a blast the few time I rode it is.....of course a super hottie helms-person doesn't hurt either.

I am going toe let the RED Comment go right on by.

STILL, y'all are welcomed in SE Texas anytime

Donziweasel
09-11-2008, 06:33 PM
Jefe, she just wants to stand out with pride in her red bikini, not blend against a red boat!:biggrin:

Donziweasel
09-11-2008, 09:21 PM
J, I may not always own a 22, but I will be buried in my 18..

Does that mean Hiedi will be next to ya in the Critter?:eek!: Glad to know I will be in good company.:biggrin.: I think I made the right decision. Main thing is Boo Boo approves, we all know who makes the important decisons.:wink:

yeller
09-11-2008, 09:29 PM
Do they not also mount tabs like that on boats that have a problem with chine walking? Just what I read somewhere.

roadtrip se
09-11-2008, 10:17 PM
New XR upper and a new XR shortie. Ran the TXP to keep the load down on the drive train. Ran out awesome. Dry run with the new parts, as my 86 year old grandpa shows up on my doorstep tomorrow night, and he is insisting on a ride in the infamous Donzi.

I have had the 22 longer than any other boat I've owned. She has been a little hard on me lately. Not an 18, but a part of me for sure. Jill just looks at me and shakes her head every time I suggest selling it. Not going to happen. She would stage an intervention if I ever got too far down that road.

Good luck with your 18 search DW....

Lenny
09-11-2008, 10:31 PM
J but I will be buried in my 18..

Ditto, couldn't have said it better myself.

Only difference is Deneen knows "where" my ashes go, (definately not 188th) but otherwise the same.

BEST, MOST FUN, MOST FORGIVING, BIGGEST SMILE boat I have ever owned. (any one of them) I have been in numerous 22's. Some VERY fast, and multiple times. I need to feel the water more closely and react more often. That is what does it for me. :yes: I like to be "needed" in the boat.

I just love... sigh ... the connection to the water this boat provides as well as the ride. I would NEVER not have one...NEVER... even when I am 86... :)

osur866
09-11-2008, 10:50 PM
I've got that set-up with 320 hp and I'm at 72-73, in fresh water in the middle of the summer, so with the added 130hp I'd think KY has it right about on the money, did Don tamm's sb make around 470 hp and with the blackhawk was 86 ish i believe. Steve

Lenny
09-11-2008, 11:02 PM
did Don tamm's sb make around 470 hp and with the blackhawk was 86 ish i believe. Steve
think 90 ... :eek:

osur866
09-12-2008, 12:08 AM
Ooops. Better correct that. External STEERING.

My next investment... I'm getting my ducks in a row for this project right now. Steve

Planetwarmer
09-12-2008, 02:36 AM
My 22C has a blower. Its weird, when I flip the switch on the dash it doesn't get any faster! I don't see what all the fuss is about.:confused:

J/K if you thought I was serious. I figured I had better put this disclaimer, because there probably is more than a few people that actually think that!

Donziweasel
09-12-2008, 07:56 AM
My 22C has a blower. Its weird, when I flip the switch on the dash it doesn't get any faster! I don't see what all the fuss is about

You should have picked up at least 1/10 of a mph.:wink:

Donziweasel
09-12-2008, 08:00 AM
On a serious note, I hope members on this board have enough ettiquet to leave that particular boat alone. I am real excited about my first 18 and I hope everyone here respects each other enough to leave well enough alone.

I live in WY, have many guns and like to shoot them at things that piss me off.:wink::uzi:

Still the only bidder.

Team Jefe
09-12-2008, 08:38 AM
I never thought about the red bikini blending into the boat.....wow and all this talk about how great 18's are......and of course I have NO ettiquet.

So, I think I'll put in a bid:smash:

Just playing J. I am bored silly waiting on IKE. Good Luck Amigo...and I want a ride...if you're nice maybe Boo and I will let you come along:wink:

Donziweasel
09-12-2008, 09:10 AM
Damn, I lose my boat and my babe. Tough crowd!:wink::wink: Where's the love?

Good luck with Ike Jefe. You gonna hang with Scot during landfall? Looks like only 105 mph now, hope it stays that or lessens.

Team Jefe
09-12-2008, 10:19 AM
Scotty boy has bailed...he's headed for the Big D....or else it would have been the Other Big D for him. Miss Kim was not messing around.

Donziweasel
09-12-2008, 12:36 PM
Where are you staying? Hope out of harms way.

Quick question, I have been getting some PM's and emails about the Scorpion. All love the boat, but I have got some warnings about handling. What make a Scorpion different from, let's say, a regular 18 with a built 350 @ 380 hp and the engines are close to the same weight. Close to the same hp, same hull, somewhat same drive. Is there somethng that make the Scorpion not handle as well as a built 350 in an 18? What makes it more of a "handful"? Thanks.

The Hedgehog
09-12-2008, 02:57 PM
Where are you staying? Hope out of harms way.
Quick question, I have been getting some PM's and emails about the Scorpion. All love the boat, but I have got some warnings about handling. What make a Scorpion different from, let's say, a regular 18 with a built 350 @ 380 hp and the engines are close to the same weight. Close to the same hp, same hull, somewhat same drive. Is there somethng that make the Scorpion not handle as well as a built 350 in an 18? What makes it more of a "handful"? Thanks.

The big problem I would have with a Scorpion is that Whipple makes a cool looking kit for them. I could see that making things get a little out of control!

BigGrizzly
09-12-2008, 03:30 PM
Difference- nothing really.!

Donziweasel
09-12-2008, 04:45 PM
SO, a built 350, or even a 305, with the same hp as the Scorp (377) will handle roughly the same?

Anyone have a link to the whipple that will fit it?

The Hedgehog
09-12-2008, 05:57 PM
http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/product.asp?ProdID=1167

Donziweasel
09-12-2008, 06:01 PM
Thanks Hedgehog. Looks SWEET!:biggrin:

Donziweasel
09-12-2008, 06:04 PM
Based on Whipples numbers, minus altitude, a Whipple SC 377 Scorpion at 7000 ft should have 452 hp. That should do it.:biggrin:

How fast would that push an 18? Would think north of 78 mph.

Sea level would be 565 hp FYI.

The Hedgehog
09-12-2008, 06:07 PM
Thanks Hedgehog. Looks SWEET!:biggrin:

Somebody needs to do one of these....bad. The Pornometer would constantly read in the red on one of these bad boys!

It is a great looking kit.

There is a guy on OSO selling 2 black kits for the 377. It is probably not programmed for the scorp but I am sure that Dustin Whipple could put a cal in.

Donziweasel
09-12-2008, 06:18 PM
Bill, I solemly swear, with Boo Boo as my witness, that if I win that boat, I will put the kit on it.:eek!::propeller:

Donziweasel
09-12-2008, 06:24 PM
I also solemly swear, with Boo Boo as my witness, that I will be calling Buizilla, Grizz, Poodle, Rootsy, You, Last Real Texan, Silver back, Roadtrip, Ed, Fixall and many others every 5 minutes for help.:smash:

BigGrizzly
09-13-2008, 09:07 AM
I just red the 350 or 307 cid part of the scorpion thread. The real fact is the cubs too a scorp is 377 cid. any 305 won't be as easy, a 383 will be the ticket, anyway we will be waiting on the calls.

Donziweasel
09-13-2008, 09:42 AM
The Whipple kit is made for the Scorpion and seems to be complete, even including ECM modification. Read about the installation, seems very straight forward and designed for the shadetree mechanic. No intercooler recommended if running 6psi or lower. Price is, well, let's just say about 6months of car payments.:eek!: Even comes in Scorpion blue to make it look OEM. I'm sold.

mrfixxall
09-16-2008, 10:07 PM

Not no more! its getting closer to DOOMS DAY!

Donziweasel
09-17-2008, 08:08 AM
Saw that and I fired back. Put my max pretty high, hopefully it will hold.

MXRoadster
09-17-2008, 11:41 AM
Ok, so where in the Ebay ad does it say the boat comes with a XR drive? I only see “brand new 377 ci 377 HP Scorpion Racing Engine from Mercury Racing in 2000 with a Bravo One high performance drive”. That seems open to interpretation to me. Anyway it still is a great value at the current price I just don’t see where the XR reference is in the ad.
D.W. good luck with it, I’m not here to spoil the party I just don’t want to see anyone bidding too high IF it does not have an XR. If it does have an XR someone please educate me on how they know this. Thanks

My 22C has a blower. Its weird, when I flip the switch on the dash it doesn't get any faster! I don't see what all the fuss is about.
Now that is some funny chit

mike o
09-17-2008, 12:48 PM
well... good luck.... I sell my canoes on ebay once and awhile ...got one on there now.... And the other bidder seems to me (977 with the blue star), to be a proffesional ebayer trying to steal it. Considering its REALLY just what your looking for... color and power...everything. Id GO for it. Not many out our way, and what a great place to go and get one...:wink: (hick-up)...:wink:... resqued (SP) had his for sale here, for almost a year with no bites. He sold it on ebay first try a little while ago for 10g's.. A 94 SWEET 16, with a (4.3?)...... Michael. P.s. youll be kicking ya -self if ya dont:wink:.

mrfixxall
09-17-2008, 01:45 PM
Ok, so where in the Ebay ad does it say the boat comes with a XR drive? I only see “brand new 377 ci 377 HP Scorpion Racing Engine from Mercury Racing in 2000 with a Bravo One high performance drive”. That seems open to interpretation to me. Anyway it still is a great value at the current price I just don’t see where the XR reference is in the ad.
D.W. good luck with it, I’m not here to spoil the party I just don’t want to see anyone bidding too high IF it does not have an XR. If it does have an XR someone please educate me on how they know this. Thanks
Now that is some funny chit

Comes standard with the 1.36:1 or 1.50:1 gear ratio Bravo One drive. Bravo One XR drive also available.

From what it reads it looks like it was a option.

Donziweasel
09-18-2008, 07:34 AM
Got sniped, lost the boat. Hope is wasn't anyone on here.:mad:

chappy
09-18-2008, 07:56 AM
16,600 winning bid. Only one other guy bid, were you using the automatic bid feature, or manually putting bids in?

Donziweasel
09-18-2008, 08:01 AM
16,600 winning bid. Only one other guy bid, were you using the automatic bid feature, or manually putting bids in?

Put in 16,500.00 when it was 15,000.00 as my max. If I had sold the 16, might have gone up higher, but this is all the spare cash I had at the moment. I was working last night, so I couldn't watch the auction. I did get some questions answered by the owner before the end. Perhaps it was not that bad a loss.

Now, the search continues. Damn Chappy, thats a good looking 18 there...............................LOL

roadtrip se
09-18-2008, 09:02 AM
there will be others.

If it was somebody here that sniped you, I doubt we will hear about it any time soon.

We'll keep our eyes peeled.

Donziweasel
09-18-2008, 09:30 AM
Thanks Todd, might have been for the best anyways. Got a new plan.......

First, would like to find a mid to late 90's 18 with a 350 mag and Bravo drive. Then build a nice stoker out of it. If still not satisfied with the speed, will SC. If you are still willing to work for drive money, help me build my stroker!LOL

Problem is, there are few to no candidates out there right now. Looked everywhere from ebay to boattrader to craigslist. If anyone sees a good candidate, please let me know. Per Boo Boo, it can't be red. Well, that takes about 90% of all 18's ever produced out of the equation......:wink:

Putting the 16 on ebay this week.

gcarter
09-18-2008, 09:41 AM
Thanks Todd, might have been for the best anyways. Got a new plan.......
First, would like to find a mid to late 90's 18 with a 350 mag and Bravo drive. Then build a nice stoker out of it. If still not satisfied with the speed, will SC. If you are still willing to work for drive money, help me build my stroker!LOL
Problem is, there are few to no candidates out there right now. Looked everywhere from ebay to boattrader to craigslist. If anyone sees a good candidate, please let me know. Per Boo Boo, it can't be red. Well, that takes about 90% of all 18's ever produced out of the equation......:wink:
Putting the 16 on ebay this week.
Patience my friend, patience.

BigGrizzly
09-18-2008, 09:45 AM
DW, It was probably for the best. BTW with the market, and the time of year, something better or more affordable will come up.

undertaker
09-18-2008, 12:04 PM
Donziweasel I know it is red but looks pretty cool.....:nilly:

http://www.boattrader.com/find/listing/1988-Donzi-18---2%2B3-93649709

undertaker
09-18-2008, 12:05 PM
How about this one....:propeller::propeller:

http://www.boattrader.com/find/listing/1988-Donzi-18-CLASSIC-LIMITED-EDITION-93086840

BUIZILLA
09-18-2008, 12:07 PM
what's the rush... :propeller:

you can't use it until next May or June anyway's... :nilly:

Donziweasel
09-18-2008, 12:09 PM
There was something about that scorpion that just did not sit right with me.

Undetraker, love the red one, especailly the engine. Boo Boo has laid down the law, no red donzi. Better do as she says or it might be no Donzi at all. The LE is nice as well, but not sure I like the gray seats. Thanks for the suggestions though.

I really need to sell the 16. Will give me a little more leeway. I was going to use some stocks to buy, but got my ass kicked this week and can't afford to sell.

I have to get this new boat by mid-Feb at latest. I am scared that potential children and the Lazy P could make all my Donzi money disappear. Boo Boo has told me how she wants to decorate the Ranch and I am sure a Donzi purchase will lose out to a leather couch! Who said, "if a husband is in the forest and there is no one to hear him talk, is he still wrong?". Perhaps this one is more suited to the situation "Marriage is a compromise, there is usually one right party and the husband".

zelatore
09-18-2008, 12:47 PM
Donziweasel I know it is red but looks pretty cool.....:nilly:
http://www.boattrader.com/find/listing/1988-Donzi-18---2%2B3-93649709

A Bravo III? No shot of the drive, but I'm guessing that's a typo?

Donziweasel
09-18-2008, 03:26 PM
Well, put the 16 on ebay. Hopefully it will sell fast.

cutwater
09-18-2008, 03:37 PM
Well, put the 16 on ebay. Hopefully it will sell fast.

Aww man... it's never gonna sell that way. You gotta claim it does 89 knots!! Nobody likes a boat that only does 70 :bonk:

Hope it sells soon John!

Donziweasel
09-18-2008, 03:48 PM
Cutwater, I agree 89 knots might be a better selling point, BUT, how about this- a nice Boo Boo bikini/Donzi pic. Think that will move it fast?:)

mjw930
09-18-2008, 03:51 PM
Cutwater, I agree 89 knots might be a better selling point, BUT, how about this- a nice Boo Boo bikini/Donzi pic. Think that will move it fast?:)

That's better than 89 knots any day of the week :wink:

BTW, stay in touch with the seller and let him know you'll honor your last bid if the deal falls through. It's no uncommon for boat, car and motorcycle deals to fall apart before the deal can be closed.

Donziweasel
09-18-2008, 03:54 PM
That's better than 89 knots any day of the week :wink:
BTW, stay in touch with the seller and let him know you'll honor your last bid if the deal falls through. It's no uncommon for boat, car and motorcycle deals to fall apart before the deal can be closed.

Already did.:wink:

mike o
09-18-2008, 05:38 PM
:wink: so the ground rules are.... board members here, dont bid against each other....:wink:

chappy
09-18-2008, 07:29 PM
:wink: so the ground rules are.... board members here, dont bid against each other....:wink:

:lol9:

gold-n-rod
09-18-2008, 08:06 PM
John, you were wise in your max bid. You have no idea how much higher the "winner" went with his max bid. Hell, he could have been a shill (no, that doesn't happen on eBay, does it)?

You bid on the high end of value for a '95, even with the blue motor.

Another will come along..... trust me. As others have said, "be patient."

RedDog
09-18-2008, 09:49 PM
John, you were wise in your max bid. You have no idea how much higher the "winner" went with his max bid. Hell, he could have been a shill (no, that doesn't happen on eBay, does it)?
You bid on the high end of value for a '95, even with the blue motor.
Another will come along..... trust me. As others have said, "be patient."

As mentioned in another post -

HEY GOLDEN-N-ROD! You may criticize my President all you wish on his policies and politics. BUT, leave your juvenile crap out of your commentary, signatures, and avatars.

zelatore
09-18-2008, 10:11 PM
Wow. Where did that come from?

zelatore
09-18-2008, 10:26 PM
Oh, now I see.......

It's on every post on the board! :doh:

We get it - you like G.W. Bush!

osur866
09-18-2008, 11:57 PM
DW, sorry to see you didn't get it, keep looking one will turn up for you. Steve

roadtrip se
09-19-2008, 08:46 AM
not once but several times where a member here kept scooping up boats out from underneath others. Or at least attempting to do so. We took care of his program and we can kick it back into gear if need be.

DW will get the boat he wants. Not sure I understand the red boat thingy. The used boat factory doesn't take orders and if a red boat with a bravo comes along, I would jump on it. If it happens, we'll save a spot in red boat row for ya, DW!

mattyboy
09-19-2008, 09:00 AM
there are a ton of boats out there and yes not red ones and as soon as one is parked in my driveway I will pass along all the ones I have found but until then mum is the word

Donziweasel
09-19-2008, 09:12 AM
Randy, Steve, Todd, thanks for the support. Randy, you are right, I was at my limit. He could have gone up to 20,000.00 for all I know.

I am currently negotiating for one right now that I found obscurly online. A little over my price range, but, this mornings stock rally might take care of it.:) Plus he might be a motivated seller. Color is not red, but kind of unique. I have only seen one other this color. I like it.

Todd, the red boat thing is simple, what Boo Boo wants, Boo Boo gets.:) If she is allowing me (yes, I said "allowing") to replace the 16 with an 18, and wanted pink, I would be looking for a pink 18 (would wait till she went out of town in a few years and would paint the hell out of it).

I guess there are two ways to look at marriage. 1. Before you do anything, ask for permission. 2. Do what you want and ask for forgiveness.

"I would rather ask for forgiveness than permission"

Tried number 2 once, still not sure if I am forgiven!:smash: I'll stick with number 1 for now.

I know I should be patient, but in about 6-7 months, money might be gone.:garfield: Then instead of "I will work for drive money", I will have a sign that says "I will work for Classic 18 money and supercharger money"

Now, as for sniping boats from other members, I wouldn't do it. If someone did what I did, which was post the boat for sale, post interest, post that I have decided to make a bid, posted I had made the bid, posted I was really excited about it, posted someone has outbid me and then I outbid them, I would not do it. Obviously a member who had done that is very excited about the boat, made it clear he wanted it, had never owned one of that size, etc.... I would personally look elsewhere, BUT I know there are members who wouldn't think twice. Just bad mojo in the long run. If I showed up at a event and there it was, owned by a member on these boards, I would probably be pissed that he did not have the stones to tell me he was going to bid.

For the record, from what I gathered, I do not think it was purchased from anyone here. Boat is in California, and other than Don, I don't know anyone in the Napa Valley area from here. Plus, seems he sells a lot of Merc parts online. Might have just wanted the engine and the drive. If it was someone on the east coast, then they wanted it worse than me due to shipping would probably make up the difference in selling the stock engine and getting a fresh Scorpion. Anyway, I hope it went to a good home, it was a nice boat.

Donziweasel
09-19-2008, 09:16 AM
there are a ton of boats out there and yes not red ones and as soon as one is parked in my driveway I will pass along all the ones I have found but until then mum is the word

I agree there are lots of boats out there, but for some reason, the Classic 18 market is a little on the slim pickens' side right now. Lots of 22's and 16's. Matty, if you see something in the 18 size you don't want, I hope you will keep me in mind.:wink:

Wyoming has it's limitations on boats sold locally. As far as I can tell, there are only 2 Donzi's in the State, and the other is a F-18.

cutwater
09-19-2008, 09:23 AM
Sorry guys, I don't really understand this... If it's on eBay, it's on eBay... Anybody in the world can bid on it. Just because one member places a bid, does that mean the other 8,591 people on the board (the count as of today) are cut out??? Nothing personal - it's just reality.

It's the same as someone saying "OBO"... I've made offers on boats in the "Boats For Sale" section before and been "outbid" by other members who responded to the ad. Were my feelings hurt? No, I realized I was a frickin college student, and that they could offer the seller more money. Reality. That's what an eBay ad is. And now, I'm working my butt off to establish myself so that I can throw more money at boats... :wink:

I got screwed on a real estate deal just this week, but it had nothing to do with multiple offers... It was the way the seller handled the offers. If someone is undermining or slandering another member to a seller, or convinces the seller to break a good-faith agreement with another member, then yes that's wrong.

I'm guessing I'll get flamed for this. Again, John, I really do hope you find a great boat very soon!

zelatore
09-19-2008, 09:32 AM
I confess. I bought it.

I figured I hadn't caused enough arguments on the board in the politics section, so I looked around and found another way to irritate people. :wink:

OK, maybe not. I had seen the add before for an 18 in Napa, but I didn't even realize that was the one you were looking at. Heck, I'd have volunteered to lay eyes on it for you.

mattyboy
09-19-2008, 09:39 AM
I agree there are lots of boats out there, but for some reason, the Classic 18 market is a little on the slim pickens' side right now. Lots of 22's and 16's. Matty, if you see something in the 18 size you don't want, I hope you will keep me in mind.:wink:
Wyoming has it's limitations on boats sold locally. As far as I can tell, there are only 2 Donzi's in the State, and the other is a F-18.

I'm only looking at 18's and up and only looking at boats east of the missisippi, the teal scorp boat was not even on my radar not worth the money to get it back east, so my point DW where are you looking the pickings can be scarce on the west coast and are you willing to pay to get a boat from the east coast??

Donziweasel
09-19-2008, 09:43 AM
Cutwater, I guess I didn't state my point very well. I wouldn't mind if someone said that they were also going to bid. I just think to go and bid after another member bid stated he had bid without saying what you are up to is sneaky. Don't like sneaky.

I have never backed away from a fight, and ebay is kinda like that. If I knew another member was bidding, then hey, lets go at it. Could be kinda fun even. Plus, another advantage if I lost it was that I would know who bought it and if it and I showed up at a gathering, all would be well.

I consider many of you freinds and I would not do that to a freind. I would have the stones to tell you that I was interested in the boat and might bid as well. Then we would battle it out. Hell, could even start a poll on who you think would win, me or Zealator (just kidding Don).

In the end, it doesn't matter as I don't think it went to a board member, although I could be wrong. Don't really care at this point as the one I am negotiating on is more of what i was looking for. Got kinda caught up in the whole Scorpion thing. Plus, it was run in salt water and I want a fresh water boat and I can't buy octane high enough out here for it..

cutwater
09-19-2008, 09:47 AM
I wouldn't mind if someone said that they were also going to bid. I just think to go and bid after another member bid stated he had bid without saying what you are up to is sneaky. Don't like sneaky.

Agreed.

I have never backed away from a fight, and ebay is kinda like that. If I knew another member was bidding, then hey, lets go at it. Could be kinda fun even. Plus, another advantage if I lost it was that I would know who bought it and if it and I showed up at a gathering, all would be well.

Yeah, I think that would be better than someone from the Bayliner Registry ending up with it. Although I don't know... A Scorpion package with a wakeboarding tower... hmmm... :wink:

Donziweasel
09-19-2008, 09:59 AM
Yeah, I think that would be better than someone from the Bayliner Registry ending up with it. Although I don't know... A Scorpion package with a wakeboarding tower... hmmm...

Saw a 16 with one once, just wrong as wrong gets.:wink: I agree, would rather have a member who appreciates it end up with it. The maybe I could poach a ride someday!:)

Marlin275
09-19-2008, 10:52 AM
DW

There are a lot of unregistered people that cruise this site.
Anyone can steal your deal if you post your intentions.
There are also registered members that never post anything here.
This is the world wide web and you can't trust everybody all the time!
This is poker, keep your cards tight.

Donziweasel
09-19-2008, 11:03 AM
Marlin, I agree. That is why I am not posting where this other boat is, what color it is, or how much.

I think anyone could have figured out it was me bidding on the Scorpion by my name on ebay. Like I said, it is all good. I was at my max, and when I had received a reply from the owner about some of my questions, it wasn't really what I was looking for.

I guess I am more of a "let's throw it on the table and see who wins" kinda guy. I know others would rather sneak around. To each his own I guess.:)

roadtrip se
09-19-2008, 01:54 PM
Sorry guys, I don't really understand this... If it's on eBay, it's on eBay... Anybody in the world can bid on it. Just because one member places a bid, does that mean the other 8,591 people on the board (the count as of today) are cut out??? Nothing personal - it's just reality.
It's the same as someone saying "OBO"... I've made offers on boats in the "Boats For Sale" section before and been "outbid" by other members who responded to the ad. Were my feelings hurt? No, I realized I was a frickin college student, and that they could offer the seller more money. Reality. That's what an eBay ad is. And now, I'm working my butt off to establish myself so that I can throw more money at boats... :wink:
I got screwed on a real estate deal just this week, but it had nothing to do with multiple offers... It was the way the seller handled the offers. If someone is undermining or slandering another member to a seller, or convinces the seller to break a good-faith agreement with another member, then yes that's wrong.
I'm guessing I'll get flamed for this. Again, John, I really do hope you find a great boat very soon!

I grew up in the car business. After college, I went back to it, first part time to pay the bills, and then full time eventually, because it REALLY paid the bills. I was on an open sales floor for awhile in Dayton, where the sales people took the sales calls, answered questions, and tried to schedule appointments. I worked the phones pretty hard, because I realized a warm scheduled lead was better than a cold, just-looking, walk-in lead. Some guys never wanted to work that hard.

Instead, one of my appointments would come in and ask for me, and one particular sales person would say I wasn't working and ask if they could help and take my appointment and sell a car to my appointment. The dealer didn't care as long as the customer bought a car.

I caught on to this and started wearing specific colors on certain days, so my appointments would come in and ask for the guy in the blue pepsi pants on Wednesdays. I also handed out cards with my picture on them for be-backs. And I made sure to use the same trick of "skating' the other sales person's appointments for a solid month after I found out he was doing it to me.

Amazing how after this went on for thrity days how things changed. He ended up bringing me my appointments to me and I did the same for him, after this little war and we became good friends.

No, you can't lock in an ebay sale here, but honor and friendship says, you should probably back away from it if someone has identified it as a target. Of course, if you want to be dubious on your intent, it will usually catch up with you in a creative fashion here.... trust me.

zelatore
09-19-2008, 02:41 PM
Funny, I think I worked with that same guy when I was in yacht sales....

cutwater
09-21-2008, 02:52 PM
RTSE, I'm not sure why your experience with underhanded dealings was a response to my post. I was pretty sure I condemned that behavior, but I'll restate my post just so we're clear that I stand firmly against this:

If someone is undermining or slandering another member to a seller, or convinces the seller to break a good-faith agreement with another member, then yes that's wrong.

Just wanted to be clear. So moving on...

No, you can't lock in an ebay sale here, but honor and friendship says, you should probably back away from it if someone has identified it as a target. Of course, if you want to be dubious on your intent, it will usually catch up with you in a creative fashion here.... trust me.

I'm not suggesting to "be dubious"... If I was ever going to bid on something that someone on the board had a hand in, I would let that person know.

In actuality I really agree with Marlin275 - If something piqued my interest I would probably never even tell the WORLD WIDE WEB that I was going to be bidding... My point is, I could never ask the 8,590 other people on this board to curb all interest in a boat just because I placed a bid on eBay. I would consider that a "dubious" abuse of my status as a member of this forum :wink:.

Conquistador_del_mar
09-21-2008, 06:11 PM
Marlin, I agree. That is why I am not posting where this other boat is, what color it is, or how much.

I think anyone could have figured out it was me bidding on the Scorpion by my name on ebay. Like I said, it is all good. I was at my max, and when I had received a reply from the owner about some of my questions, it wasn't really what I was looking for.

I guess I am more of a "let's throw it on the table and see who wins" kinda guy. I know others would rather sneak around. To each his own I guess.:)

John,
If you decide to bid on another boat (or anything else) on ebay, you might try what I have learned from buying a couple thousand things over the past years. If I really want a higher priced item, I bid with less than 4 seconds left in the auction. That leaves no one enough time to outbid my highest bid after seeing that they are not winning the auction. I am an arrowhead collector, and I have seen auctions with as many as 5 bids placed in the last 5 seconds! The only negative to this type bidding is that I have to babysit the auction until the very end - not for everyone but it saves me money. On things that are not so important, I bid ahead of time. There is supposed to be a site for "snipe" bidding, but I have never used it. Just thought I would pass this along. Bill

Conquistador_del_mar
09-21-2008, 06:29 PM
John,
If you decide to bid on another boat (or anything else) on ebay, you might try what I have learned from buying a couple thousand things over the past years. If I really want a higher priced item, I bid with less than 4 seconds left in the auction. That leaves no one enough time to outbid my highest bid after seeing that they are not winning the auction. I am an arrowhead collector, and I have seen auctions with as many as 5 bids placed in the last 5 seconds! The only negative to this type bidding is that I have to babysit the auction until the very end - not for everyone but it saves me money. On things that are not so important, I bid ahead of time. There is supposed to be a site for "snipe" bidding, but I have never used it. Just thought I would pass this along. Bill

Check out how much time I left on this boat tonight - 3 seconds. I now have my project boat - yippee! The seller has agreed to meet me half way in Missouri. Bill
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320299640881

samjannarone
09-21-2008, 07:34 PM
Conquistador,

Cool ebay trick, definitely going to try it out. Thanks for the tip.

Sam

Donziweasel
09-21-2008, 07:45 PM
Conquistador, great advice and nice new project! I am jealous.:)

For the Scorpion, I was at my max and I had to work that night, so I couldn't follow the auction.

Also, thanks to those members who have PM'd me some good leads on 18's. Looking at about 4-5 candidates right now.

Criterea is, no red (per Boo Boo), has to have a Bravo (going to be SCing it), and a 1990's boat. Man, it is really hard to find one that matches all three. You would think it would be easy. I have a few that are there, just doing some negotiating. Remember the car dealer thread? Kinda going through the same thing with a few dealers. Starting to irritate me. One is telling me this is the greatest boat ever built and knows nothing about it or Donzi's. Asked what make of drive, he said he thought it was a sterndrive. Asked what make again and he said he thought is was a "Mercrusing" or something. It was a painful experience to say the least.

The search for the perfect Donzi 18 for me continues.............4 days left on the sale of my 16 on ebay.

mjw930
09-21-2008, 08:28 PM
John,

Bill,

Basically you are manually sniping. Why go through all the work, just subscribe to a sniping service? For those who don't know, Sniping is placing a bid within seconds remaining with the hope of wining the item before anyone else can react (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auction_sniping). I've been using www.phantombidder.com for a couple years and I usually win items I really want at a price that's usually under my max bid.

mike o
09-21-2008, 09:23 PM
RTSE, I'm not sure why your experience with underhanded dealings was a response to my post. I was pretty sure I condemned that behavior, but I'll restate my post just so we're clear that I stand firmly against this:

Just wanted to be clear. So moving on...

I'm not suggesting to "be dubious"... If I was ever going to bid on something that someone on the board had a hand in, I would let that person know.

In actuality I really agree with Marlin275 - If something piqued my interest I would probably never even tell the WORLD WIDE WEB that I was going to be bidding... My point is, I could never ask the 8,590 other people on this board to curb all interest in a boat just because I placed a bid on eBay. I would consider that a "dubious" abuse of my status as a member of this forum :wink:........ Im on this team :wink:.

Conquistador_del_mar
09-22-2008, 12:21 AM
Conquistador, great advice and nice new project! I am jealous.:)

For the Scorpion, I was at my max and I had to work that night, so I couldn't follow the auction.

Also, thanks to those members who have PM'd me some good leads on 18's. Looking at about 4-5 candidates right now.

Criterea is, no red (per Boo Boo), has to have a Bravo (going to be SCing it), and a 1990's boat. Man, it is really hard to find one that matches all three. You would think it would be easy. I have a few that are there, just doing some negotiating. Remember the car dealer thread? Kinda going through the same thing with a few dealers. Starting to irritate me. One is telling me this is the greatest boat ever built and knows nothing about it or Donzi's. Asked what make of drive, he said he thought it was a sterndrive. Asked what make again and he said he thought is was a "Mercrusing" or something. It was a painful experience to say the least.

The search for the perfect Donzi 18 for me continues.............4 days left on the sale of my 16 on ebay.

I have my work cut out for me with the Magnum, but I enjoy a good challenge. Yep, having to be there to bid in the last few seconds can many times be a problem. I have had to bid ahead of time on many auctions, and I have had glitches in the last few seconds - both have cost me winning the auctions, but overall it works for me. I hope you both sell your boat and find the one you really want - just keep looking and it will show itself. Bill

Bill,

Basically you are manually sniping. Why go through all the work, just subscribe to a sniping service? For those who don't know, Sniping is placing a bid within seconds remaining with the hope of wining the item before anyone else can react (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auction_sniping). I've been using www.phantombidder.com (http://www.phantombidder.com) for a couple years and I usually win items I really want at a price that's usually under my max bid.

Interestingly, one of the only things the Phantombidder can not do is ebay motors where the boats are located. Have you had perfect success using that service in terms of it always bidding properly? I will probably get in on it if they provide great service since I rarely would need it for ebay motors anyway. Thanks for the site, Bill

mjw930
09-22-2008, 08:36 AM
Interestingly, one of the only things the Phantombidder can not do is ebay motors where the boats are located. Have you had perfect success using that service in terms of it always bidding properly? I will probably get in on it if they provide great service since I rarely would need it for ebay motors anyway. Thanks for the site, Bill

Hmm, I've never tried it with a large ticket item but I'm pretty sure I've won some smaller items that just happen to be in ebay motors, Here's what they say about ebay motors.

Does PhantomBidder work with eBay Motors?
Yes, PhantomBidder works with all eBay Motors listings. And unlike other sniping services, PhantomBidder knows which site is appropriate so you don't have to configure it yourself.

I haven't had it miss a bid in a long time. I did have some issues a couple years back when they were experiencing huge growth but it's been good the last 24 months or so.