PDA

View Full Version : 18 w/ 377 Scorpion.....

Donziweasel
09-08-2008, 03:00 PM
Someone needs to grab this one.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1995-Donzi-Classic-18-with-377HP-Scopion-Racing-Engine_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ63685QQihZ006QQi temZ160280885712QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

I even like the color. One thing, look how the trim tabs were mounted, straight horizantally instead of following the transom.

chappy
09-08-2008, 03:10 PM
I remember this boat being discussed here before, the tabs were a conversation topic. Can't remember if it was ebay or not though......

Donziweasel
09-08-2008, 03:35 PM
Just looked at the whole ad. Scorp transplanted. How do you get corrosion on just the steering wheel? Hmmm.......damn them tabs look strange.:confused:

chappy
09-08-2008, 03:36 PM
How busy has your summer really been John?:)

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=53460&highlight=18+scorpion

Donziweasel
09-08-2008, 06:14 PM
WAY too busy!:wink: lol

fogducker III
10-14-2008, 08:19 PM
Hello Gentlemen, and Ladies, just signed up after browsing the site for a while, nice job Scott.

I see some of you were watching "my" boat on Ebay, yup, I bought it and had it shipped here to Vancouver Island. So far, VERY happy with it.

I got it for a good price, it was in better shape than advertised, no, the trailer is not over-kill and no, the trim tabs are not mounted wrong, they are just perfect. They do not grab in hard turns at high speed and do their job. They are actually Dana tabs and I recommend them if anybody is looking. The Scorpion is excellent and as stated in another post, runs fine on 91 octane, no need for 93 and even Mercury only suggest 92........

I have only been out in the boat a couple of times (I have another boat, a Cruisers Inc 21 with a 383 that my other half thinks is fast enough) and not pushed it yet, but last Sat while along side a friend in his 22C (496) GPS at 75+, lots left and different props to play with, running a 20p Quicksilver but might change up or even down if needed to a Mirage 19P or 23P...? Scott told me Grizzly is the man to ask about props?

Anyhow, great site and good to see so many people interested in fast boating, all the best and see you out on the water! :boat:

kramsay1234
10-14-2008, 09:11 PM
Nice boat by the way - good motor for it.

For curiousity, how much did it cost you to ship it to Vancouver and who did it? What fees did you have to pay?

You need some prop help for sure. Should be turning a 23p at a minimum on there I would think.

Donziweasel
10-14-2008, 10:17 PM
I see some of you were watching "my" boat on Ebay, yup, I bought it and had it shipped here to Vancouver Island. So far, VERY happy with it.

Then why are you selling it?

http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/7164389

Also, why are you trying to sell it for 9,000.00 more than you bought it for?

Heard you took one over the bow and your girlfreind had had enough.

Don't know who you are, but if you were reading this forum, you would know I was the one you outbid. To come on my thread and post what you posted is pretty rude chief.

chappy
10-14-2008, 10:33 PM
Hello Gentlemen, and Ladies, just signed up after browsing the site for a while, nice job Scott.

I got it for a good price, it was in better shape than advertised, no, the trailer is not over-kill and no, the trim tabs are not mounted wrong, they are just perfect. They do not grab in hard turns at high speed and do their job. They are actually Dana tabs and I recommend them if anybody is looking. The Scorpion is excellent and as stated in another post, runs fine on 91 octane, no need for 93 and even Mercury only suggest 92........

I have only been out in the boat a couple of times (I have another boat, a Cruisers Inc 21 with a 383 that my other half thinks is fast enough) and not pushed it yet, but last Sat while along side a friend in his 22C (496) GPS at 75+, lots left and different props to play with, running a 20p Quicksilver but might change up or even down if needed to a Mirage 19P or 23P...? Scott told me Grizzly is the man to ask about props?

Anyhow, great site and good to see so many people interested in fast boating, all the best and see you out on the water! :boat:

I'm not sure I'm following your logic here, what was your tach and speed at wot? That will tell you up or down in prop. Unless you're looking to do a lot of skiing, maybe?

Lenny
10-14-2008, 11:34 PM
I gotta ask... who are you?
Call me. I know you are about 15 miles from me.
And I also know, we should have "passed" each other in the last few weekends. We launch at the same Marina (s)
Lenny
250-361-8234

Mr X
10-15-2008, 06:19 AM
I gotta ask... is this Frank, Don or Rod?
I need to know. Call me. I have 5 here. No, none are Scorpions. And I know you are about 15 miles from me.
And I also know, we should have "passed" each other in the last few weekends. We launch at the same Marina (s)
Lenny
250-361-8234
:D

Lenny,
didnt you have a Scorpion in one of your boats??

Lenny
10-15-2008, 08:36 AM
Lenny,

No Ted, I sold the "motor on a crate" about 5 years ago locally. I needed the money for "something" . Oh yeah, I was getting divorced.

fogducker III
10-15-2008, 09:01 AM
First off, I apologize if I upset you.......

Secondly, yes the boat is for sale, if it doesn't sell for what I want I will keep it, I like it but the girlfriend is a little scared in it. Yes we took a wave over the bow, so what? Boating up here is on the ocean, there are waves......

Thirdly, the purchase price, plus shipping, duty/taxes and a couple of other small items PLUS the exchange rate adds up quickly and I can assure you that even if I sell it for the asking price I certainly would not see $9000...! and if I decide to sell my boat what businesses is it of yours?

Not sure what you mean by my post being rude?

Then why are you selling it?

http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/7164389

Also, why are you trying to sell it for 9,000.00 more than you bought it for?

Heard you took one over the bow and your girlfreind had had enough.

Don't know who you are, but if you were reading this forum, you would know I was the one you outbid. To come on my thread and post what you posted is pretty rude chief.

fogducker III
10-15-2008, 09:02 AM
Hi Lenny, yes I know who you are, I talked to you about one of your boats a couple of months back, I will give you a call and we can do a run. Jeremy.

I gotta ask... is this Frank, Don or Rod?

I need to know. Call me. I have 5 here. No, none are Scorpions. And I know you are about 15 miles from me.

Lenny

250-361-8234

fogducker III
10-15-2008, 09:20 AM
Thanks, I like the boat so far. I arranged the shipping through Uship, an online "auction" for shippers to offer their services, good site but you have to shop around and ask questions. Shipping cost me about $1400US to Blaine WA from Napa. Border taxes were about $1600US. There were my costs to get to Blaine and pick it up, another approx. $400 and there is an inspection system through the government for the trailer when it is imported which is another $200. So despite what Donziweasel thinks, I spent a decent amount to get the boat here and despite getting it for a fair price, I would not make my retirement fund selling it........

I will try and sort out the prop issue over the next few days if the weather cooperates.............

Nice boat by the way - good motor for it.

For curiousity, how much did it cost you to ship it to Vancouver and who did it? What fees did you have to pay?

You need some prop help for sure. Should be turning a 23p at a minimum on there I would think.

cutwater
10-15-2008, 09:44 AM
Thanks, I like the boat so far. I arranged the shipping through Uship, an online "auction" for shippers to offer their services, good site but you have to shop around and ask questions. Shipping cost me about $1400US to Blaine WA from Napa. Border taxes were about $1600US. There were my costs to get to Blaine and pick it up, another approx. $400 and there is an inspection system through the government for the trailer when it is imported which is another $200. So despite what Donziweasel thinks, I spent a decent amount to get the boat here and despite getting it for a fair price, I would not make my retirement fund selling it........

$24,900 CD ~= $21,460 US.
Minus $3,600 US for shipping, inspections, taxes, etc = $17,860 US. Purchased for $16,600 US.

Starting price is only about $1k more than he has in it. I wouldn't consider that extortion, seeing as anyone north of the border would have had to pay the same fees.

BTW, welcome to the board!

glashole
10-15-2008, 11:35 AM
generally as a rule Donzi's tend to sell for a little more money north of the border as well

Donziweasel
10-15-2008, 01:12 PM
and if I decide to sell my boat what businesses is it of yours?

None, but I find it funny that you come here telling everyone how great the boat is, but put it up for sale 2 weeks after you bought it. You went to a lot of work to get it there. Interesting.

I wouldn't consider that extortion

I never said it was, just asked why it was listed for more than 9000.00 than he bought it.

Not sure what you mean by my post being rude?

You figure it out. Sounds like you are rubbing it in my face chief. SInce you said you had been reading this forum for a while, I am sure you read this thread since it pertains to your boat.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=54062

Enjoy your boat.

boxy
10-15-2008, 02:16 PM
Lenny,

No that was a Texas Millipeede.
From what I remember it was about the size of a small poodle .... :D :D

fogducker III
10-15-2008, 02:19 PM
Actually that was a post I never saw nor read...

I believe we got off on the wrong foot Donziweasel, mainly because you were stoked on the 18 and I ended up out bidding you and then I posted here not really knowing the history and you take it as an insult, again I apologize if it seemed like that but there was no intention on my part to rub anybody's face in anything.

I wanted a Donzi, I bid on a few and finally won the present one.

I got it home and first time out got my girlfriend, myself and the boat wet with a rogue set of waves, we both thought we had the wrong boat, I put it up for sale locally and then took it out again, found the sweet spot and now not sure if I want to sell it, mainly because I kinda have a back-up boat which is very comfortable and plenty fast enough for the girlfriend.

My point is, I did not buy the boat, nor post here or place it for sale to piss anybody off, I am just a middle age guy trying to make ends meet by working my ass off and use boating as an outlet.

I hope none of this will sour my being on this site because I find it interesting, informative and entertaining!

If ANYBODY from this site is ever up in this neck of the woods, drop me a line and I will do my best to show you exactly what West Coast BC boating is all about.

All the best, Jeremy.

PS. Donziweasel, I hope you won't get mad if I steal your idea about the Whipple??

None, but I find it funny that you come here telling everyone how great the boat is, but put it up for sale 2 weeks after you bought it. You went to a lot of work to get it there. Interesting.

I never said it was, just asked why it was listed for more than 9000.00 than he bought it.

You figure it out. Sounds like you are rubbing it in my face chief. SInce you said you had been reading this forum for a while, I am sure you read this thread since it pertains to your boat.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=54062

Enjoy your boat.

jl1962
10-15-2008, 03:27 PM
Jeremy -

Welcome to the Board. We are all one big happy family ;)....Seriously - we all have one thing in common and it is thicker than water, politics (I think) and/or exchange rates. Congrats on the boat.

Peace/Out
JL

Donziweasel
10-15-2008, 05:04 PM
again I apologize if it seemed like that but there was no intention on my part to rub anybody's face in anything.

If you are sincere and no malice was intended, then apology accepted. I lost the boat, but it might have been a blessing because right now I can not get anything near what I need to sell my 16 in this economy. Will have to wait.

Donziweasel, I hope you won't get mad if I steal your idea about the Whipple??

Jeremy, before you go slapping a whipple on that boat, I would take some time to learn how to drive it at the current speeds it is capable of. The only reason I wanted to SC it was to compensate for the loss of power at my altitude (7000 ft = 21% power loss). I would talk to Todd (Roadtrip SE) before making the modification. Driving an 18 with over 500+ hp is not something for a novice and you could be injured or worse real easily.

We are all one big happy family

Sometimes.:wink:

fogducker III
10-15-2008, 05:40 PM
I never apologize unless it is sincere, the girlfriend would beat my ass...!

I agree with the Whipple upgrade, being at sea level with that set-up would make for a very interesting ride, and as you stated, could be dangerous.

I plan on doing a few more "winter" runs and then put her to sleep for a couple of months and give her a good cleaning, service and upgrade a couple of things.

Just a side note, do you know where one can get replacment engine hatch hinges? The ones on are pitted pretty bad, I found out that apparently the pitting to the steering wheel and some other chrome parts was caused by certain dusts at the vineyard where it was stored, hops dust and other stuff used in wine making supposedly can cause corrosion...? Not sure but sounds possible/ Anyhow, having a problem finding a set and the local chrome plating place wants an arm and a leg to re do them!

If you are sincere and no malice was intended, then apology accepted. I lost the boat, but it might have been a blessing because right now I can not get anything near what I need to sell my 16 in this economy. Will have to wait.

Jeremy, before you go slapping a whipple on that boat, I would take some time to learn how to drive it at the current speeds it is capable of. The only reason I wanted to SC it was to compensate for the loss of power at my altitude (7000 ft = 21% power loss). I would talk to Todd (Roadtrip SE) before making the modification. Driving an 18 with over 500+ hp is not something for a novice and you could be injured or worse real easily.

Sometimes.:wink:

Donziweasel
10-15-2008, 05:49 PM
The only thing I know that causes that type of corrosion is caustic chemicals and salt water. For hinges, ask Madpoodle, he will know where to get them.

If you are looking for more performance, there are easier and more cost effective ways to get it than a SC. Work on getting it propped out first. What RPM's and speed were you running ar WOT?

Welcome to the boards and congratulations on your purchase.

Lenny
10-15-2008, 07:45 PM
I got it home and first time out got my girlfriend, myself and the boat wet with a rogue set of waves, we both thought we had the wrong boat, I put it up for sale locally
Believe me, I have NEVER stuffed any of these boats, and as you know, surfing the waves from the BC Ferries and in the Georgia Strait is an art. Hence my quest for more bow lift in the 18LE (black one) with the SS shortie. You need to be able to "hop" to the back of the next wave when surfing the tall close ones or you will have a VERY bad day.
It has never been a problem. I will admit, about four years ago I went out to accomplish this sole purpose one afternoon and did all the "stupid" surfing/following sea things I could with the X-18 till I knew what it would do and how to keep it "up" :D
You will figure this out in no time, but believe me, it is a throttle thing and a prop that will give you bow lift.
We should go out. Van Isle Marina anyone ?
Don Tamm can attest to the size of the waves here if you are desperate to find some good ones. ;)

Mr X
10-15-2008, 07:50 PM
Whipple no longer makes one for that engine.

fogducker III
10-15-2008, 11:09 PM
Hi again Lenny, don't get me wrong, I have been boating on the West Coast here for over 30 years, I was out off the spit and three fish boats went by, I was not paying attention and we were IDLING and went up on the first wave and THROUGH the second and third before I could throttle up..............girlfriend was not impressed! Earlier and later in the day I could tell she was not overly convince about the speed thing. The "wave" thing was not a speed involved item........

I have been in almost all the local Poker Runs for the last 6 or 7 years so kinda got an idea about he boating thing.............

See you at the indian boat ramp one day.......

Believe me, I have NEVER stuffed any of these boats, and as you know, surfing the waves from the BC Ferries and in the Georgia Strait is an art. Hence my quest for more bow lift in the 18LE (black one) with the SS shortie. You need to be able to "hop" to the back of the next wave when surfing the tall close ones or you will have a VERY bad day.
It has never been a problem. I will admit, about four years ago I went out to accomplish this sole purpose one afternoon and did all the "stupid" surfing/following sea things I could with the X-18 till I knew what it would do and how to keep it "up" :D
You will figure this out in no time, but believe me, it is a throttle thing and a prop that will give you bow lift.
We should go out. Van Isle Marina anyone ?
Don Tamm can attest to the size of the waves here if you are desperate to find some good ones. ;)

fogducker III
10-15-2008, 11:14 PM
Shame, I was looking at the link Donziweasel posted and the unit Whipple showed looked good, any idea why and when they stopped? Most likely lack of sales I guess...???

Whipple no longer makes one for that engine.

Lenny
10-15-2008, 11:58 PM
OK, got it. You know the waters here and know how NOT to DIE.

Good :)

Having not met you I did not know whom I was talking to, (nor do I now) but I think you have a sense of how to stay well here. :)

On a side note, the 377 in the 18, Bravo and right prop should yield about 72-76-ish. Ted would know. I do not, but I am thinking about that.

You do not need much more IMO in the 18. The boats are a handful at that speed in ocean waters.

:) Take Care

fogducker III
10-16-2008, 08:43 AM
The prop that is on there now is a Quicksilver 21p but for some reason it has been re-worked to a 20p ?? (I am not really a fan of the Quicksilver line)

In the boat was a Mirage 19p. It seems at wot the engine is running high 4000's rpm, perhaps 4800-4900rpm....it is really hard to see the tach clearly where it is positioned, that is one of the first things I will be doing is replacing gauges and re-positioning them so the important ones are in view!

I talked to Don at the local prop shop and he feels that motor should turn 5200-5400rom wot? So if that is the case he suggests coming down in pitch and perhaps even try a four blade prop? Suggestions...........???

BUIZILLA
10-16-2008, 08:55 AM
somethings not right here...

do you have a 1.32 ratio drive?

fogducker III
10-16-2008, 09:07 AM
Yes it is the 1:32 gears (I thought they were 1:36 but I see the 1:32 makes more sense)

So what does that mean?

Donziweasel
10-16-2008, 09:12 AM
4800 w/ 1.32 and 20 pitch? Hmmmmm.........

Jeremy, start a new thread in performance section, you will get more advice, some good and some bad. LOL

fogducker III
10-16-2008, 09:48 AM
Will do, thanks.

Lenny
10-16-2008, 04:26 PM
4800 and a 20" at 1:32 has a theoretical top end of 69 mph. That with NO slip. Not likely.
Even with a 19 at 5200 you are not going anywhere. (70 at NO slip)