PDA

View Full Version : Noise testing

erikshube
09-08-2008, 01:34 PM
I was at lake george this past weekend and got a ticket for my exhaust being too loud. It measured 92.8 decibels w/a legal limit of 90. They tested my boat on their docks on Green Island right next to a building (which was on my starboard). They told me the echo does not affect the reading as long as there was nothing directly behind my boat. I find this hard to believe. What does everyone think?
It was an excellent way to end my weekend after finding "The Fields" are not an underwater meadow of plant life, but actually an underwater field of very hard unforgivable rocks. It took out my skeg and prop. Can anyone recommend a good welder in CT to fix my skeg?

RedDog
09-08-2008, 02:12 PM
I would think any prop shop or marine dealer could weld on a new skeg.

Kirbyvv
09-08-2008, 04:17 PM
There was a long post with lots of discussion about noise testing on Lake George after the dust-off. Do a search for it. Much controversy of the testing methods.
Watch out for the "killing" field!!!!

slapshot11
09-08-2008, 07:54 PM
I hit something while boating on Lake George this past June. The skeg was mostly gone. I took it to Performance Marine on Lake George and they had a new one welded back on for me in no time. Ask for either Jason or Rick. They do great work.

Donziweasel
09-08-2008, 08:02 PM
You are about the third report of noise violations here from Lake George this summer. Sounds like they are really cracking down. I take there is no speed limit on the lake? Just curious.

erikshube
09-09-2008, 01:18 PM
I found the testing standards for the SAE J2005. It states "4.1 Measurement Site—A suitable site is a body of water free of large obstructions or reflective surfaces such as
buildings, boats other than those involved in this procedure, large embankments or breakwaters, etc. for a
minimum distance of 8 m (25 ft) from the boat being measured. The boat being tested shall either be moored
to a dock or lashed to another boat. If moored to a dock, the dock shall be of open construction so that it
presents a minimum of reflecting surfaces."

The dock i was tested on had a boat then a building to my starboard. The building was closer than 25' from my boat. I'm fighting this one.

For anyone that did not follow the previous thread on noise, i recommend checking it out and knowing the rules and procedures. It prob would have saved me if i knew about it. http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=53565&highlight=lake+george+noise

mattyboy
09-09-2008, 04:09 PM
just be careful, i believe that the lake george park commision might have more stringent specs than the state of new york i would check the regs for the LGPC I spoke to one patrol officer he said that really any boat that has silence choice is illegal as it is considered a bypass of the muffler so thru prop is muffled and thru hull is a bypass of the muffler system but they don't seem to enforce that as they want you to use silernt choice they have targeted the smaller classics and if you go into their strong holds like lgpc islands and the village or run loud close to shore they are gonna get you

mattyboy
09-09-2008, 04:31 PM
sorry reading the lgpc regs their standards are laxed and not as specific as the state laws now the key was what did the ticket say for the violation was it from a state law or a comission reg if you read their reg it says within 50 feet no minimums or maximums on distance in their minds sae 2005 doesn't exist

Donziweasel
09-09-2008, 06:09 PM
How strict are they on the speed limit? Just curious. One of my home lakes has one, but I don't think anyone has ever been stopped because of it. One reason is that the altitude hurts boats so much that it is hard to break it!:wink:

Never been to LG, but I want to one day. Sounds really cool. I like the camping on the islands, alot like my home lakes.

Are most people being targeted for noise because they are running close to shore and around other boaters, or anywhere anytime?

Sometimes Law Enforcement doesn't know there own rules. Example, I had heard in Idaho near the Wy border that at a certain lake the cops stop boats at the put in and check everything. I printed off the Idaho rules and Regulations before I went this year. Officer stopped me and said that I had to have a Idaho registration. My boat is obviously registered in WY. I always considered registration like a liscence plate on your car, lets you operate on any lake in the lower 48. Anyway, I looked at my regs and it states -

SL 4. Vessel Registration
An Idaho Certificate of Registration and a validation sticker are needed to legally operate a
boat or Personal Watercraft on Idaho waters. The only exceptions are:
• Manually propelled boats (for example, canoes, rafts and kayaks);
• Float tubes (with or without a motor) of single tube construction;
• Sailboards;
• Boats properly registered in another state and operated on Idaho waters for 60 or
fewer consecutive days; and
• USCG-documented boats.

My boat was properly registered in WY and I do not boat in Idaho for 60 consecutive days. I told him this, he said it was the law. I showed him the law and he said "what is in your cooler". I told him it was none of his business. He said it was law he could look at it. I started pulling out the laws again and he walked off. I then heard him approach another boater with WY reg also and he said that he needed and Idaho reg..........

Point is, don't take everything law enforcement tell you at face value. Most are well trained and out to protect us, but it doesn't mean they can't make mistakes. Plus, you may one day get an officer who is an exception to the rule and not a good officer, whether uniformed, corrupt or just plain stupid. Learn your laws and rights.

Kirbyvv
09-10-2008, 07:45 AM
The Lake George speed limit is 45 mph, but I was told "unofficially" by a patrol officer that they won't stop anyone unless they are going over 60. They also only have one patrol boat with radar on the entire 32 mile lake.
It seems to me that they are getting more touchy on noise. I've been hearing about alot of people who have been stopped for noise. I got stopped this year, but showed my passing pink slip from a few years ago, 87 dbl, so he says, just don't run near shore because I sounded louder than 87 dbl. He wasn't about to dispute the test as he was the one who tested my boat before.