PDA

View Full Version : Tennessee Tax Problems

The Hedgehog
09-08-2008, 09:20 AM
I bought a boat in Indiana, moved to Alabama then moved to Tn. I actually paid sales tax on the full amount of the boat when I purchased it in In. My wife registered the boat in Tn and we promptly sold the boat. Now I get a letter from Tn saying that I need to show the sales tax on the boat I no longer own and bought years ago. I have contacted the county tax assessor at In and they are going into records retention to try to find record of my payment.

My question is: If In can't find the record am I screwed? I wonder how far back these go. For instance, if I bought a boat 10 years ago and did this, the records would have been destroyed by now.

I thought about digging up old bank records. All that will show is that a check has been written. I tried to ask about other options but the guy on the phone had bad English and kept telling me he needed the info from Indiana so he could close out my file.

penbroke
09-08-2008, 09:33 AM
In Vermont they will not issue a registration without the sales tax being paid. Therefore an expired registration or renewal is acceptable proof that the tax was paid.

I have a small alum boat that the registration has lapsed on several times. Every time I try to register it again they want to collect the tax again. All I need to do is show them an old registration and I am good to go. They are never able to find any old registration info on their end though. Not sure why...

Frank

Trueser
09-08-2008, 09:41 AM
All states have figured this out. They also are auditing and getting bank statements to verify what you paid is really what the dealer / old owner got paid. Best to keep everything documented.

I just received the trailer side of my 28ZX tax bill.

And we have one of the highest tax rates in the country...

Lenny
09-08-2008, 12:10 PM
Here, as I am in the middle (end now) of a full T1 audit, the banks have microfiche documentation of evry cheque written. Whether is be a deposit or a debit. They photograph all activity for future reference. Maybe they have these records that show whom it was payable to...???

The Hedgehog
09-08-2008, 12:27 PM
Here, as I am in the middle (end now) of a full T1 audit, the banks have microfiche documentation of evry cheque written. Whether is be a deposit or a debit. They photograph all activity for future reference. Maybe they have these records that show whom it was payable to...???

Mine does too. It will show the check and that it cleared. I tried to find out if that would be good enough but seemed to have some barriers with the guy on the phone.

BUIZILLA
09-08-2008, 01:23 PM
are you in White, Putnam, or Dekalb county?

The Hedgehog
09-08-2008, 02:18 PM
are you in White, Putnam, or Dekalb county?

Warren. My letter came from the State of Tn. My Rock Island lot is in VanBuren

justleft
09-08-2008, 06:35 PM
Around here they are going through all of the boat registations and making sure
you have paid personal property taxes on the boat.

I must know 10 guys that the county is trying to collect back taxes for a 10 year old jet ski
that the guy sold 8 years ago. The county is saying "OK, then prove it or pay 10 yrs of taxes w/ interest/penalty".

The Hedgehog
09-08-2008, 06:47 PM
Around here they are going through all of the boat registations and making sure
you have paid personal property taxes on the boat.

I must know 10 guys that the county is trying to collect back taxes for a 10 year old jet ski
that the guy sold 8 years ago. The county is saying "OK, then prove it or pay 10 yrs of taxes w/ interest/penalty".

Nice! I usually keep such records but I usually purge things I sell.

Donzi Vol
09-08-2008, 07:40 PM
Hedge,

I actually just went through some talks with TN county governments about this. I wasn't sure where to register this blue/white Barrel Back. Here's the deal. Anytime you register the boat, a fee must be paid. I.e. if you register it in IN, then register the next year in TN, you'll have to pay a fee both times. However sales tax should only be paid once. And that should have taken place the first time you registered the boat with the title and/or bill of sale in hand. My suggestion would be to talk to the county clerk's office (someone who speaks English), and give them all the details. Then get any of the original info you can (title, bill of sale, first registration) into their hands. They cannot argue with paperwork. Let me know how it goes. If you keep hitting walls I'll call in a favor...I've lived in TN for a while...I know how to get things done :wink:

All the best

The Hedgehog
09-08-2008, 09:02 PM
Hedge,

I actually just went through some talks with TN county governments about this. I wasn't sure where to register this blue/white Barrel Back. Here's the deal. Anytime you register the boat, a fee must be paid. I.e. if you register it in IN, then register the next year in TN, you'll have to pay a fee both times. However sales tax should only be paid once. And that should have taken place the first time you registered the boat with the title and/or bill of sale in hand. My suggestion would be to talk to the county clerk's office (someone who speaks English), and give them all the details. Then get any of the original info you can (title, bill of sale, first registration) into their hands. They cannot argue with paperwork. Let me know how it goes. If you keep hitting walls I'll call in a favor...I've lived in TN for a while...I know how to get things done :wink:

All the best

Thanks man. I really appreciate that.

I should know as soon as the driver's license office opens in Indiana tomorrow. They are closed on Monday. I did pay their high sales tax. Hell, I even paid property tax on it

Donzi Vol
09-18-2008, 11:22 PM
Hey Hedge, did you ever get this figured out?