PDA

View Full Version : Shift Cable

kramsay1234
09-07-2008, 11:24 PM
Since I am no mechanic, maybe someone with some experience on this can help me out. My shift is very stiff and it's not in the cables coming off the controls. Both of those cables (shift and throttle) are free as we took them off independently and tried them, but the short cable inside the bilge that goes down to the transmission is very stiff, or at least something in there is stiff.

When I go to put the boat in gear it is hard to get it to shift. And when going from reverse to forward when docking, sometimes its a pain to get it back into forward gear. Once running and only going from forward to neutral, its not a problem.

So question - is there an adjustment somewhere to the transmission or a way to smooth this thing up? Sometimes I am into the throttle before the the thing shifts into gear and of course the clunk from the r's being up is not what I am looking for. Thanks for anyone that can give me some guidance on adjusting this.

glashole
09-08-2008, 06:14 AM
need a new cable chum

this is best done by someone who has done this before as it can be a real pain

MOP
09-08-2008, 07:40 AM
Shea hit it, it is the cable that goes from the converter to the gimble.

kramsay1234
09-08-2008, 08:56 AM
...what I thought. Looks too tough to get to so it will likely go in for this. Wondering if the manifold needs to come off on the one side and if so whether I should take that opportunity to get some stainless marine or something on there...???

mrfixxall
09-08-2008, 09:32 AM
...what I thought. Looks too tough to get to so it will likely go in for this. Wondering if the manifold needs to come off on the one side and if so whether I should take that opportunity to get some stainless marine or something on there...???

the first thing i would do is pull the drive (has to come off to do the cable) then test to see if it shifts any easier..also check where the cable attaches to on the exhaust riser and make sure someone dodnt over tighten the stud that the cable attaches to.

kramsay1234
09-08-2008, 09:42 AM
Thanks. That gives me a starting point. My cousin and I can pull the drive and check that out. Will see where that takes me...