PDA

View Full Version : Leopa fall poker run

hot shot
09-06-2008, 09:02 PM
i JUST GOT BACK FROM THE LEOPA FALL POKER RUN I'VE RUN THIS IS MY THIRD YEAR AND IT IS A LST FOR 50 DOLLARS AND WITH THE HELP OF SOME GREAT SPONSORS FOR 50 DOLLARS YOU GET 2 LUNCHS, 2 DINNERS, LIVE BAND, FREE OVERNIGHT DOCKAGE AND LIVE ENTERTAINMENT.. THE WINNING HAND PAYED 1700.00 I TOOK 4TH FOR 50 BUCKS.... BUT THE REASON FOR THIS THREAD IS BECAUSE A THROTTLE MAN WAS EJECTED FROM HIS BOAT AND IS IN PRETTY BAD SHAPE... HE IS EXPRECTED TO MAKE IT RECIEVES BROKEN EYE SOCKIT ,BROKEN CHEEK, BROKEN PELVIS AMD TORE ALL THE LIGIMENTS AND MUSSELS AS WEKK AND TORE ALL THE SHIN OFF ONE SIDE SAND WAS KNOCKED OUT FOR A WHILE... HE HAD BEEN TRANSPORTED TO BEAUMONT HOSTITAL ( PROBABLE THE BEST IN THIS AREA ) AND A TEM OF SERGONS WERE WAITING FOR HIS ARRIVAL . I THINK WE COULD ALL BE A LITTLE SAFER AND WHEN THINGS LIKE THIS HAPPEN IT JUST MAKES YOU THING HOW FAST THINGS CAN HAPPEN... I GUESS THE BOAT HARD ON ONE SIDE ANS HE JAMED THE THROTTLES AND IT DID THE DAME ON THE OTHER SIDE AND NAILED THEM AGAIN AND OUT HE WHEN I HEARD SEAT AND ALL.SO ROAD TRIP KEEP ON HARPING ABOUT SAFETY... DANGER IS RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER.. I THINK HIS NAME IS ED SLESSHER ( NOT POSITIVE BUT IS ONE OF TH FOUNDING MENBERS OR LEOPA BACK IN 88 I THINK... I'MM SURE THERE BE MORE INFO ON OSO... LETS SAY A PRAYER FOR HIM AND HIS FAMILY

hot shot
09-06-2008, 09:04 PM
Wow i can't believe my spelling is so bad sorry

roadtrip se
09-06-2008, 10:32 PM
Jill and I were talking about the mess that the Lake Cumberland Poker Run was today and then your call came in. Sorry man.

Awful.

You have my word that I don't care how unpopular I become over harping about safety, we will do what we can to make sure we take all precautions at our runs. Life is too short.

Keep us posted on how your guy comes through...

hot shot
09-08-2008, 10:48 PM
Todd one of the many safety features of the hot shot special edition donzi's is a full rear view mirror with a camera option for a rear and side view of whats going on around you and so i will share more of what i am doing for safety which is the # 1 reason for chasing my dream of building the safest and best looking 22's in the world.... alot of stuff i have to keep quiet about right not ... but i'll have a VERY PLEASENT SAFER SUPRISE COMMING... its not gonna be cheep but neither are funerals.. I LOVE YA MAN.. I think we will debut the hot shot # 001 at the miami boat show and rock some peoples world... thank you and god bless Mick

mrfixxall
09-09-2008, 09:14 AM
Was it the gut and girl in the baja that rolled and ended up upside down on land?

roadtrip se
09-10-2008, 09:16 AM
Was it the gut and girl in the baja that rolled and ended up upside down on land?

and had somebody go in the water this weekend. Mick sent me an update yesterday and the guy is recovering, but he is a mess and will have a long recovery.

The accident you are referencing happened a week or two before the Lake Cumberland Poker Run. The driver ran his Baja up on an island at night, flipped, and died instantly at Lake Cumberland.

Madcow
09-10-2008, 10:27 AM
Guys name is John Shessler. Expected to make a full recovery, but going to be sore for a while. Both him and the driver have tons of expierence. Not doing anything reckless or stupid, just one of those things that happen with fast boats sometimes.

Dr. Dan
09-10-2008, 11:22 AM
:smash:Well - not to HiJack :hijack: the thread...but I can't agree more with everyone starting to get in the Habit of wearing a Lifevest. They don't have to be a Life Line...but a Ribbon Vest has been proven to not provide any impact protection in several of these incidents over the past few years.

I made it a priority this year and I ordered 2 Custom Life Lines for Liz and I....fact is I admit to being remiss in not wearing them as often as I should.

Last weekend I wore it once... should wore it everytime out. Gonna force myself to do it.... The reality is that most of us are doing over 70 mph and then some....so to argue with an Event Coordinator or take a casual view of this easy Safety Habit...well its gonna be at your own risk.

I also think that there comes a time when Enough is Enough when it comes to Speed...I admit to be a primary instigator here and elsewhere on provoking the Increase of Speed and pushing the Hulls Limits. You can have Steering, you can have Vests...but when Schtick Happens...you are reacting at that point...you are not in control...you are on a ride. Most of us have slammed and bounced wrong...its a very unsettling feeling. Fact is the Engineering and Balance in most of the Classic Designs is incredible and lend themselves to making us all look like "Professional Boat Racers" - :salute:

All kidding aside... I am going to volunteer to "Stand Down" and stay where I am at...speed wise. I mean 80mph is plenty fast enough... I will never be the fastest and if I had a Family...I think I would rather have a calmer and more sedate boat. So to those of you chasing me, Todd, Byron or Catch 22 & Griz...you win... I don't care anymore...I saw stuff last weekend that was ridiculous...and could have been real bad if someone got hurt...not to mention the damage to a nice boat...I am not gonna name names, this is not a blame game. I have done reckless stuff myself...the difference is I admit it, ...I accept responsibility for it and I am not tooooo proud to admit my limitations and sincere desire to bring my passengers home safe...as well as my 15 year old boat.

So with all this said.... I love the friends I have made here...I care about you all and even more so to the ones I am personally close to. Egos aside... I would hate to see one of us or our Families or Friends hurt.

So here is my challenge to everyone .... Start Wearing your vest...its ironic no one will hesitate to put a $400 Shifter on their Boat, or a Set of Bling Battery Boxes...but yet a real set of $300 Vests are suddenly too expensive to justify the investment? :tase:

I say really? Are they? So whoever runs the Events for next Season...make it mandatory to wear Vests, and no alchohol until we're back at the Docks or you get asked to leave the group...you are on your own!

I run in 2 to 3 Big Boy Runs a year and they all are very very serious about this...No Vest on Everyone and you are out....recently they have even demanded no alchohol consumption by even passengers or guest...for their own safety during the run.

Think about it...its only 2 to 3 hours when we run as a group...even Shea can behave for a few hours..(*well maybe)? :alky: Its tough to do...and everyone has their opinions...but its just not worth it... be safe and come back alive.:spongebob:

:screwy:Ok so here's the deal...we have all Winter to invest and save for some Real Vests before next years Event Schedule starts....how about we all try to pony up and be real men and get our crews outfitted for next year?

Ski vests at a Minimum.... better vests for the idiots like me driving the boats...

I will offer a Safety Discount at any Event I sponser to any full crew that not only has and wears their vests during the Event...I will discount $25/vest up to $100 on any orders of equal or greater value. This will be a one time Gig.

:clap:That basically means a crew of 4 at Kentucky will have a $100 Safety Coupon if they execute this Safety Habit. Gotta wear your Tether...gotta Wear the Vests. Sorry for the rant... I hate hearing about this stuff... its gonna happen...least we can do is attempt to encourage everyones well being.

Be Well & Boat Safe :spongebob:

Doc of Incentives & Prolonged Lifelong Boating :wavey:

Think about it...if ya like it...I will do it.

mrfixxall
09-10-2008, 11:33 AM
and had somebody go in the water this weekend. Mick sent me an update yesterday and the guy is recovering, but he is a mess and will have a long recovery.
The accident you are referencing happened a week or two before the Lake Cumberland Poker Run. The driver ran his Baja up on an island at night, flipped, and died instantly at Lake Cumberland.

Thats the one! they had a video on a baja web site of them turning the boat over with what it looked to me two other smaller boats..

roadtrip se
09-10-2008, 12:33 PM
I had been re-thinking my "refresh" of the 500 after the second dose of drive issues with the 22 this season. Besides costing me a significant amount of jing to go with all new drive components, the boat just doesn't need it. It runs great as it is set up now and has for a long time.

So, I second your stand down on the speed wars. Let the trash talk continue, but only as attempted humor and general abuse of those in the family that deserve it on a regular basis.

The rash of accidents over the past few weeks just confirmed my resolve to run in these things in a safe and sober manner. No exceptions.

Those of you thinking about investing in good life vests have the entire off season to make it happen and now you have a built-in discount on hardware from Danny, when you show up sporting the safety goods! Great idea.

So, if I am putting the proverbial knife into the speed wars, does this mean I have to join the bling-it-out, all things red are good crowd? Man, this could get ugly....

BUIZILLA
09-10-2008, 12:55 PM
for the record....

I 100% support Dan's and Todd's emotions.... I firmly believe *we* should be pioneer's with this, and set the example for boating groups elsewhere.

:pimp:

Trueser
09-10-2008, 01:22 PM
I agree and by spring I will have the correct jackets.

Very well said Dan and Todd.