PDA

View Full Version : Need advice......

Donziweasel
09-05-2008, 10:11 AM
Many of you may remember that I am having serious issues with my nieghbor next to the Lazy P. Well, is has continued. Nothing major in the last month, but almost got in a fist fight with the man 2 months ago.

Here is my issue. Teton County requires a site inspection by and independent surveor once construction has begun to make sure the buildings are located where we said they would be and where the permit says they would be. We did this and everything lined up perfect.

My nieghbor called the surveyor this morning requesting a copy of it. he said it was because of something he wanted to do on his lot, which the surveor said did not make sense. My question is, what would he want it for and what possible mischief could he make for me with it?

Trueser
09-05-2008, 10:26 AM
Many of you may remember that I am having serious issues with my nieghbor next to the Lazy P. Well, is has continued. Nothing major in the last month, but almost got in a fist fight with the man 2 months ago.
Here is my issue. Teton County requires a site inspection by and independent surveor once construction has begun to make sure the buildings are located where we said they would be and where the permit says they would be. We did this and everything lined up perfect.
My nieghbor called the surveyor this morning requesting a copy of it. he said it was because of something he wanted to do on his lot, which the surveor said did not make sense. My question is, what would he want it for and what possible mischief could he make for me with it?

I would make sure that they do not give it to him. Unless he pays for one himself.

penbroke
09-05-2008, 10:30 AM
I would expect that if you paid for the survey that the results belong to you and he is not entitled to see them. He likely is entitled to see whatever report was filed with the county...from the county.

If he wants to have his property surveyed he should hire his own surveyor to do it.

Frank
Good fences make for good neighbors.

Donziweasel
09-05-2008, 10:30 AM
I wouldn't give it to him under any circumstances whatsoever. This guy has given me more headaches than I thought possible. He has actually tainted the whole construction experience for me and Boo Boo, which is difficult enough as it is. I even thought of throwing in the towel a few times because I did not want to leive next to him for the next 20-30 years.

handfulz28
09-05-2008, 10:33 AM
Is that survey supposed to be filed with all the building permit info? Or is it just a stamp/sign off that everything matches up? If the survey has to be filed, it may become available by public records search. Not that anyone needs to actually share that with the nutjob next door...

If the survey itself doesn't get filed/recorded, the neighbor has no right to it and the surveyor doesn't need to say anything other than "pay for your own."

Good luck.

Kirbyvv
09-05-2008, 11:31 AM
We do alot of surveys in my business. All the info above is correct. Unless it becomes part of the public records, your neighbor has no rights to it. Sounds to me like he's looking for something for free or some way to cause problems for you. If it's public record the surveyor still is not required to give him a copy, he has to get it from the local recorders office or where ever they hold the public records in your area.

DonziJon
09-05-2008, 02:39 PM
Back in the day, when I used to work for an engineering office with various "other" departments, ..Sometimes during a slack period, we found it amusing to venture Into...OR Near another departments territory with two of our guys.....We called it "Going on Safari". One with a Clipboard, and the other with a Tape Rule. We would measure stuff. Desk sizes, cubicle wall sizes, etc. During this safari we would keep our mouths SHUT. Or if really pressed, we would say we weren't at liberty to say what it was all about.

SO: DW: Maybe you need to provide your neighbor with a Distraction. Nothing illegal of course. John

gold-n-rod
09-05-2008, 05:12 PM
Back in the day, when I used to work for an engineering office with various "other" departments, ..Sometimes during a slack period, we found it amusing to venture Into...OR Near another departments territory with two of our guys.....We called it "Going on Safari". One with a Clipboard, and the other with a Tape Rule. We would measure stuff. Desk sizes, cubicle wall sizes, etc. During this safari we would keep our mouths SHUT. Or if really pressed, we would say we weren't at liberty to say what it was all about.
SO: DW: Maybe you need to provide your neighbor with a Distraction. Nothing illegal of course. John

That's awesome. Get a couple of buddies together with a pickup truck, a transit (you could make one with a tripod and an old electronic device), some chains, a 200' rule, paper rolled up to look like big maps, a couple of clipboards, a camera...... oh, and don't forget the hardhats (OSHA, you know).

Hang out in front, side and back of his yard, but ABSOLUTELY stay off his property. Have them take lots of notes, nod in a concerned manner a lot, frown and shake their heads.

If he comes out to inquire, have them tell him they are not allowed to answer any questions. :smash:

A most excellent idea, John!!!!!!!!!

Donziweasel
09-05-2008, 05:25 PM
I told the surveyor at first, hell no. Then I thought about it an told him to get a very clear reason from the individual we have named "numb nuts" or "the Mighty D" (his name is Dennis) why he wanted it and that if it is a valid reason I might release it. Don't get me wrong, if I was on a sinking ship and the only way to escape death was to give it to him, I would seriously consider not giving him crap. That is how much I dislike this guy. Anyway, the surveyor said that Numbnuts thought that all four houses had been surveyed and he wanted just the one that pertained to his property. He is planning an addition. Problem is-I think he is at his allotted sq footage. The suyveyor swore up and down that although the Mighty D might be slightly retarded, he ment nothing malicious from it. Just wanted something for free. I still don't think everything is on the up and up, but for now........

If you would like I can relate my adventures with the Mighty D since last Nov. It ought to be good for a laugh. Makes having a 400 pound kitty look like nothin'! To be honest Lenny, I would trade you any day, kitty man for Mighty D.:wink:

The Hedgehog
09-05-2008, 06:22 PM
Sounds like he might be a strong canidate for the Douchebag of the year award. A foundation survey is your property like these guys said. The only person that should request this is the bank or possibly a municipality.

This is way out of line. It would be sort of like him calling the appraiser and asking for a copy of your appraisal.

I like Gond-n-rod's idea. That is pretty funny.

Whatever you do, make sure that this clown is not around when Tex and I come to town.:hangum:

chappy
09-05-2008, 07:23 PM
Whatever you do, make sure that this clown is not around when Tex and I come to town.:hangum:

Maybe you two could be the pretend surveyors.:propeller:

boxy
09-05-2008, 07:55 PM
Maybe you two could be the pretend surveyors.:propeller:

Or the "HedgeHog" and his chief camera man on a video location scouting trip...... :smash:

The Hedgehog
09-06-2008, 12:19 PM
Or the "HedgeHog" and his chief camera man on a video location scouting trip...... :smash:

I am sure the ranch is a suitable location for a film. That is a good thing.