PDA

View Full Version : New EPA Rule 70% Reduction Emissions WaterCraft

TheFees
09-04-2008, 05:11 PM
The ink is still fresh off of the press at MSNBC.com

Cleaner mower, speedboat engines ordered

EPA says health benefits from rule outweigh costs by at least 8 to 1

http://msnbcmedia1.msn.com/i/msnbc/Components/Sources/Art/APTRANS.gif updated 49 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - Gasoline-powered lawnmowers that are a big cause of summertime air pollution will have to be dramatically cleaner under rules issued Thursday by the Environmental Protection Agency.
The long-awaited regulation requires a 35 percent reduction in emissions from new lawn and garden equipment beginning in 2011. Big emission reductions are also required for speedboats and other recreational watercraft, beginning in 2010.
"The emissions of these sources are huge, accounting for about a quarter of smog-forming emissions and carbon monoxide from the motor vehicle sector," Bill Becker, executive director of the National Association of Clean Air Agencies, said in a statement. "When fully implemented, this rule will be the air pollution equivalent of removing one out of every five cars and trucks on the road."
EPA estimated the cost of implementing the reductions at $236 million a year, which will likely make its way to consumers in the form of more expensive lawnmowers and other machines.
Environmentalists welcomed the regulation, which applies to lawn care engines under 25 horsepower and to a full range of gas-powered personal watercraft. The rule requires a 70 percent reduction in emissions from recreational watercraft.

Hold onto your old Donzi's guys, or hurry up and buy a new one, here come the smog boats. More expensive, 50 gallons a minute and sloooooowweerrrrr. :hangum:

Here is the entire article. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26547706/wid=18298287

TheFees
09-15-2008, 09:20 PM
I just thought of something.

When they create emmission standards how will they enforce them?
Will the 2010 model year need to pass emmissions testing?
How would they conduct emmissions testing?
Will older boats need to pass an emmissions test to weed out those with excessive emmissions levels?
What will they have to do to the motors to get them to meet such stringent standards?
What other challenges/problems do you see in trying to implement the new regulations?

BigGrizzly
09-16-2008, 10:12 AM
I can answer that. Honda has been involved for years as a government bench marl. This isn't new, and was prompted in part by California air research board. In fact this isn't new. Outboards have been regulated at least 2006 as well as lawnmowers. In fact as of 2000 no outboard could be sold new in the USA unless it passed the regulations. In fact a Canadian Honda could not be imported into the US because of it. I know of at least one circumstance where a pair of Honda BF130 was stopped by Customs and impounded for more then a year and ultimately returned to Canada. All general purpose engines already have to conform. Working for the cleanest general purpose engine manufacturer it is going to be tough. When the Government says reduce by 20% it means everybody, even the cleanest ones, ie the bench mark. over 6 years ago I told you guys it was going to happen. @ stroke weed whackers in LA county Ca are banned. After living in La for 10 years I actually did notice a difference in air quality in that short period of time. Right wrong or indifferent it is helping. I am not a Gore supporter!!!!

handfulz28
09-16-2008, 12:07 PM
Computer controlled, fuel injected and catalytic converters for our lawn equipment and recreational vehicles. :eek!:

How do those little Honda generators do it?

BigGrizzly
09-16-2008, 12:17 PM
I did n't know you were familiar with the ecm and cats on them I wasn't sure the had released the bigger ones yet. The ECM was the easy part. we hade the prototyps for years. I think that the GP engine released last year was a hit. I know I was impressed. As for the ECM/ inverter ones they are great too. It is really neet how they have come this far so soon.