PDA

View Full Version : VOLVO 280 Steering Rebuild ??? HOW and WHAT ?

Lenny
09-04-2008, 11:29 AM
Folks, I have the Latham steering rams and such and Poodles (LATHAMS) Volvo twin ram bracket (mounted) on my 280 (X-18) I am in the process of replacing all the crappy steering stuff and will be running the full twin Hydraulic helm and 9" rams.

My problem is, before I do all this I would like to "tighten" up the steering on the drive so that all the left to right slop is gone and it is in like new condition in regards to the tightness of the drive. Then I will add the hydraulics to it and complete the process.

So, my question is, what (other than the inboard tiller arm) makes up the steering on an old 280 and what is replacable, what kit is required, what needs replacing in order to make this like new again? Where do I get it?

Are new forks required? stuff like that...

Thanks in advance, Lenny

BigGrizzly
09-04-2008, 12:07 PM
Lenny, In the tiller arm there is also plastic bushings then in the Helmet there is a screw in sleaves one on the top and two in the yoke. Now with the hydraulic the helmet is rendered useless. Now the shaft, also known as fram there are bushings. If the unit can be jiggled or moved on the vertical pivot they need to be replaced. With twin hydraulic rams anything attached to the tiller doesn't matter except the vertival shaft that the upper lower unit is attached to.

maddad
09-04-2008, 01:02 PM
Lenny, once you hold the drive by the upper housing, through the bearing cap, you get rid of the worst part of Volvo steering. The steering helmet and steering yoke flex enough to let the drive move about 1.5 inches side to side. The steering fork lets the drive rotate left and right on bearings aligned by the water tube guide sleeve. Those bearings are either good and greased or bad, making it hard to turn the drive with the steering unhooked. The drive pivots up and down on the pivot pins that on the steering fork, ride in plastic bushings. I guess if a drive was used long enough with bad or no bushings, it could wear to the point of needing steering fork replacement. A few thin shims where the pivot pins pass from the steering fork to the transom shield will get rid of the tiny bit of play there.
Hope this helps, I'm following this with great interest.
Those bushings, by the way, are available and Volvo says to change them any time the drive is r and r'd.(Clymer manual)

HallJ
09-04-2008, 04:15 PM
Where do you guys recommend getting Volvo AQ parts?
I see that GLM has a selection. Just wondering where else.

Thanks,

Jeff

maddad
09-05-2008, 12:59 PM
I'm on Long Island and use All Island Marine. (516) 764-3300
http://www.aimpowercenter.com

Kirbyvv
09-05-2008, 02:09 PM
I've bought volvo stuff from Doug Russell Marine: http://www.dougrussell.com/partscatalog/volvo_omc/index.cfm?fuseaction=group&type=volvo&group

BigGrizzly
09-05-2008, 05:31 PM
All island marine is one of the largest Volvo dealers on the country a Honda dealer in good standing and the have some of the best techs I have seen. Its a fanily owned buisness.

maddad
09-06-2008, 11:40 AM
All island marine is one of the largest Volvo dealers on the country a Honda dealer in good standing and the have some of the best techs I have seen. Its a fanily owned buisness.
I agree, plus they bought and stored a HUGE inventory of old parts when they were last available. Add to that it was Phil, MOP, who turned me on to them(he does know everything, right?) and it's pretty much case closed when it comes to OLD stuff.

MOP
09-06-2008, 05:32 PM
Point made just because I am old don't throw me away:wrench:

Add this one to the list, they seem to have quite a bit with fast delivery!
http://www.hlsm.com/