PDA

View Full Version : Gotta love yur "neighbours"

Lenny
09-04-2008, 10:51 AM
:rolleyes:

Ya know, I was talking to Don Tamm when he was here about this. Anyways, now it is here. This fella is about 3 doors away from me. There is not a single person around in the entire District (1200 homes on acreages) that is amused. But, he likes making noise and being the center of attention. Sooo,... here is a comparison of what he has done and a relationship to how things would parrallel to you folks in the USA.

The "Highlands" is a mountain community on about 1000 hectres or something. Properties range from about 2 acres to about 200 depending on where.

The "Province" of British Columbia, (equate that term to the "State of Florida") has no Provincial (State) Laws (yet) against exotic animals. The Highlands (equate that to "County") now does and PRIOR to this big cat arriving. This fella did get a permit to construct the large chain link pen. No mention of what was going into it though. When they found out (the HIGHLANDS) they quickly enacted a by-law to restrict exotic animals, such as tigers, hippos, alligators, you name it.

Anyways, this fella basically told Council to stuff it and the cat is coming. I have a number of neighbours with small (kindergarten and such) children and they are now (just back into school) all in clear sight of the thing at their rural bus stop. :rolleyes: This is brutal.
The Big Cat zoo in Colorado, just around Denver has volunteered to take this thing and look after it on their 1500 acre reserve whereas it can hang out with 180 other big cats. It would cost $3000 to have her caged and shipped. The District (Highlands) has volunteerd the money to help her out EVEN THOUGH THIS CAT WAS NOT EVEN HERE WHEN THEY ANNOUNCED the money offering. My neighbour says "no way". He will try and legally fight his(our) local Council and keep it. Now, to top this all off, he has a number of writs against his land for illegal suites, illegal non-permitted buildings, by-law infractions, commercial business use of home/buildings/property. Non permitted blasting, tree cutting, clearing. Storage of about 20 "old" parts cars in the bushes, two 40' trailers buried underground..

What would you do?

http://www.canada.com/victoriatimescolonist/news/story.html?id=b2efec57-bf74-4bdb-a1ef-6bcf69586c8d

BUIZILLA
09-04-2008, 11:18 AM
What would you do? tap into his water supply and inject 2% antifreeze.... gotta keep the pipe's from freezing...

glashole
09-04-2008, 11:48 AM
where did he get the cat from? :confused: I haven't seen any on ebay at all

can you have him call me that sounds pretty cool

what type of fence is required for one

BlownCrewCab
09-04-2008, 11:51 AM
Do you have homeowners insurance up there? I'm sure the cost of having such a threat would be allot. Or you and your other neighbors could push him into the pen, It would look like an accident:wink:

BUIZILLA
09-04-2008, 12:04 PM
where does it say I want to kill the CAT ?

chappy
09-04-2008, 12:06 PM
where does it say I want to kill the CAT ?

:rofl:

mrfixxall
09-04-2008, 01:26 PM
Tigers are on the endangered species list so killing it wont do you any good but get you jail time..trust me a friend of mine did it and payed the price and a hefty 10000 fine with a 1 year house arrest..let the law take care of it..

google kapp & David woldman of ,lombard il killing a half breed tiger..had it stuffed and had to get rid of it by cutting it up and dumped the body parts at the local dump..http://www.animallaw.info/cases/causfd2005wl1994104.htm

Tigers are known to avoid humans,they prefer somthing much bigger like zbras or horses..

gold-n-rod
09-04-2008, 01:55 PM
Tigers are known to avoid humans,they prefer somthing much bigger like zbras or horses..

So the little kids going to kindergarten don't have to worry, but the fat gal up the street ought to be worried??? :wink:

SideshowRob
09-04-2008, 03:21 PM
You know with the proper safety measures in place, the animal could be of educational and entertainment value to the community (not to mention more respected and appreciated). The owner on the other hand should be caged and shipped somewhere. I'm certain there would be no problem raising the money to have him "relocated".
Do you ever wonder why we need a license to drive? Or get married? I mean complete disregard for public safety and the environment seems to be a personal choice not requiring a permit, or even a note from your mom.

roadtrip se
09-04-2008, 03:37 PM
we like cats. Got two monsters that have the run of the house, but they prefer IAMs over zebras or fat girls. They do like fresh water.

As for dealing with a mess like this, having been through a couple of HA debacles in the past twenty years, I would get a specialized attorney hired, not a big game hunter, and in action. Chances are the $3K you had budgeted to transfer the animal to a better location will more than cover rattling this guy's chain and waking him up a bit. But, be prepared to go to court. My experience says a judge would make mincemeat of something like this...

Donziweasel
09-04-2008, 06:19 PM
Sigfreid and Roy, San Francisco Zoo, cat needs to go! Damn things are dangerous as hell and wild animals. I don't care how domesticated it was. As Roy how domesticated and well behaved his Tiger was. They are designed to kill, period! This is not a good "neighborhood" pet.

Formula Jr
09-04-2008, 07:34 PM
I thought we were all about less government regulation here......

:yes:

roadtrip se
09-04-2008, 07:57 PM
I thought we were all about less government regulation here......
:yes:

All about life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

But, when somebody's "pet" can eat me or my children, the ability to enjoy the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness kind of gets impacted just a little without some government intervention.

A bunch of us are also about the right to bear arms which would greatly simplify the solution to this problem, but the kitty shouldn't suffer due to the owner's bad decision making.

Formula Jr
09-04-2008, 10:25 PM
Can....Could....May....?

:)

Sorry, its penny for a pound if you wish to talk about liberty.

You, have precious little of that left and its all just do to room and population And as everyone has stated, we want these things in place. since there is less room.

We don't want people living next to us with guns.
Cause we don't know who they are? "My god....they could have an automatic machine gun or one of those repeating shot gun thingys. "

We don't want them to have exotic animals, cause that also poses a threat.

This person , that takes this cat and makes it captive is a total as& hole,... don't get my intent wrong. Just the thought of containing an animal like this, is the act of a total as& hole. But Isn't it his right?

To do that? And to have cars parked all over, and everything else that might annoy people?

The right always says we should be free to do what ever we want.

Damn restrictions and all that, and some suggested solutions are vigilante.

This is not rule of law. It seems that vigilantism is always the solution now when we pretend that we have freedoms.

osur866
09-04-2008, 10:42 PM
Befriend the guy, take him to the local pub get him drunk, have a few of your buddies tranqulize the cat cage him up and send him to Colorado, the cat gets a new home and when the they guy sobers up and sees the cat is gone ask him if he has an umberalla policy to cover any damage the cat has done to your property! Steve

roadtrip se
09-04-2008, 10:50 PM
QUOTE=Formula Jr;465323]Can....Could....May....?
:)
Sorry, its penny for a pound if you wish to talk about liberty.[/QUOTE]

but if you want to say a lot with a few words...

How about "should of, could of, and would of", as excuses if no one gets organized and the pet tigger has someone's kid for breakfast at the bus stop.

Pretty simple. Not really a discussion about government regulation or liberty for that matter. Our system in the US does have checks and balances to take care of circumstances like this one without regulating ourselves into a coma and giving up liberties. Not sure about CA.

Now, if you want to argue the merits of this further at a philosophical level, we should probably take it to the political forum and stop tormenting Lenny.... I do think I will wait until he gives the all clear before I pay him a visit...and I thought we had critter and pest issues in Michigan.

Tell you what Steve, you volunteer to be the one to check if the kitty has gone to sleepy time after the tranquilizer hits, okay?

osur866
09-04-2008, 11:04 PM
We feed him a BIG dinner before we tranq. him he be good and sleepy :wink: Steve

Donziweasel
09-05-2008, 08:19 AM
I can't believe we are debating this guys rights to having the kitty. I also have rights, the right to not get eaten by a large predator. Trust me, I value this right very much!

In the last year or two there have been two reports of tigers attacking humans, one fatal, one nearly fatal. Both were in the hands of professionals. One figured out how to get out of a cage in a Zoo, the other almost killed a man in front of an audience.

One mistake, just one small mistake, and this kitty gets out, and......, or perhaps a kid goes to see kitty when owner is out. Sticks fingers through cage, and.......or maybe kid decided kitty needs some fresh air and the cage lock was not locked........

I mean, come on. This is not a nieghborhood pet. This one is a no brainer. Buy it a 40 pound ball of yarn, a 10 pound bag of catnip, and send him to Colorado.

Rootsy
09-05-2008, 09:28 AM
Dude,

un-permitted tree cutting and clearing? Remind me not to move to Canada.

So was this fellow and his 40 cars there before the rest of ya????

BUIZILLA
09-05-2008, 09:49 AM
your Council is very obviously ineffective and this guy knows it

good luck

wrussellw
09-05-2008, 10:21 AM
Turn PETA on to him. Tell them he is being mean to the tiger

roadtrip se
09-05-2008, 11:23 AM
I think we all agree that Tigger must go.

Now, the WAY he goes is definitely a topic for opinion and discourse, as well as a review and education on how the system works.

I do think the vigilante approach was just an attempt at humor, Owen.

I will say this. Owen's post's are obviously thought out and make you think as a result. I may not agree with his view, but some synapses were invloved. Quite contrary to some of the **** storms I have found or placed myself in around here lately.

Side note Owen. I saw a very cool Formula Jr on the showroom floor at the factory this week. It brought back memories of meeting you and seeing your boat at one of the early AOTH's. I do believe that the Junior's design queues are being utilized as inspiration for the Formula designs today, especially the rear of the boat. Very cool.

Lenny
09-05-2008, 07:25 PM
What is especially "nice" now that she is here, is the ROARING like I am watching Lion King with my kids, ...but at 2-5 am... :rolleyes:

Kinda funny actually.

We just sit up and wonder where the Hell do we live ???

I almost wonder if this is retaliation for me coming home at 10pm in the LE or X and flushing the salt out of it for 10-15 :confused: :D :D :D

http://www.bclocalnews.com/vancouver_island_south/goldstreamgazette/news/27837009.html

Dude,
un-permitted tree cutting and clearing? Remind me not to move to Canada.
So was this fellow and his 40 cars there before the rest of ya????

Jamie, I live in the forest. I have as many trees as Alaska. First growth as well. We all do. That is not the issue, The issue is clearing your land so that you can store dozens and dozens of 50's Fords for parts cars for your business that resides in illegal buildings and such. Thank God I can't see his place, but my other neighbours are not as lucky. He already has a writ against his land that requires the buildings to be torn down at point of sale and they cannot be included in his "equity" for money/tax purposes. We own our trees here Jamie, as we do the land and no one tells us how to manage our land. But "By-Laws" try to keep us all somewhat "sane" ... :D

boxy
09-05-2008, 07:51 PM
Taken from another article.....
"Through research Bennett says he is ready to care for the tiger, but some professionals question whather he is certified to do so.

“He’s taking on a big responsibility,” said Helen Schwantje, provincial wildlife veterinarian for B.C. Ministry of Environment. “(Tigers) can live up to 20 years, as long as a domestic cat.”

It’s a responsibility Bennett is up for.

“I’ve lived at this house for the past 19 years,” he said, “and I am going to die here.” "

Sooner than he thinks, if that tiger slips in his kitchen door one evening..... :D

Lenny, contact Pam Anderson, I'm sure she would love to come back to BC for an animal cause, maybe you could mix in a boat ride too.... :D

Lenny
09-05-2008, 10:43 PM
Lenny, contact Pam Anderson, I'm sure she would love to come back to BC for an animal cause, maybe you could mix in a boat ride too.... :D

Pam already has a place here, as well as being born just north of here... :D

But a boat ride on a BUMPY ROUGH DAY is a GREAT idea. I will wait till it gets colder so the visual is better when I snap pics from the dash cam on the LE of her in her bikini.. :)

Always thinking eh Steve, :D

;)

Formula Jr
09-07-2008, 01:00 AM
The laws have already been passed about the exotics in the area. If nothing happens then you file an action to a local court. In the US it would be a mandamus (sp) act. - people are not doing their duty. Not sure what that is in Canada or if you have such a fall back. Any way, the community is small, and local judges are "elected" I guess in Canada? Tigger is going to go away any way.. even with slight pressure. Its reasonable to relocate this cat to a better place. Any one can point out that the containment area is too freaked small for an animal use to, and genetically built, to roam 25 miles in one day.

I was gonna say something about how tigers make the late night, low throat calls..... they just do that. and will every night at almost exactly the same time.....

Lenny
09-09-2008, 10:40 AM
All we need today is a Judge to put his name on the Injunction and it will be all done. Then, failure to comply will be "Contempt" of Court and a felony charge which will limit his passage to the USA and places. This would GREATLY hamper his business dealings in the future and restrict any future growth in his occupation.

We'll see.

http://www.canada.com/victoriatimescolonist/story.html?id=46f60861-73f5-4d21-ae4e-f3862cd3677b

Here is where she will be going once the Community raises the money (done) Don Tamm can go see her :)

http://www.bigcatsofserenitysprings.org/

Lenny
09-11-2008, 11:36 AM
http://www.canada.com/victoriatimescolonist/news/capital_van_isl/story.html?id=3b5fd9bf-ce6c-4719-a4ac-52144cdf9d21

Ron Cheeke is a buddy of mine that I took to AOTH this year. Unfortunately the tiger owner will not accept his offer and insists the TIGER stays and is proceeding to Court...

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=38492&d=1221148153

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=38493&d=1221150291

ky-donzi
09-11-2008, 11:59 AM
I would write a letter stating your concern including possible horrible outcomes.

State in the letter that you think this is a bad idea, and how that you've tried to keep this from happening.

Then also state that the letter is a certified letter and is being mailed to the counsel, all local athourities, and who ever else that might care.

Now what you have done is made everyone aware of the danger, and they all have recieved it in a cert. letter.
AT this point if a official doesn't do something all hell will break loose, espeically if someone gets hurt

Lenny
09-21-2008, 11:36 PM
Update... still a bad situation. "Homies" getting involved.

Word is that there will be a blockade of the property when the Feds come in to remove her with the gang from OASES (Colorado folks) , This is getting ugly.

B.C. Supreme Court ruling should be on Wednesday or Thursday this week. 22-26).

Ron and I set up a website to increase public awareness, gain insight, provide some, and market trinkets for sale with ALL the proceeds going to this trek for Suzy. I am out about a grand so far, Ron about 5G. All the News spins of this is that we are "profitting from her demise" ... To top this off, Ron has offered and committed to pay for the ENTIRE transport $$$$ ordeal for SUZY to Colorado. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The truth is, and believe me this is the truth, we get NOTHING from this, we are buying the shirts at wholesale, out of our Bank Accounts, marking them up $5, and ALL of the money goes into the Trust set up for SUZY when in Colorado. The purchase price of all these goodies to re-market comes from our personal Bank accounts and is a "Gift" once sold.

To top it all off, Ron's pub had his 25-30G sign destroyed the night we put the website up on the readerboard. :( Boulders and green paint all over the LCD display... done... :( Was about 4 months old to boot.

Hopefully we will see a happy ending to this. There are SOOO many people that want this Cat to stay 4 houses away from me it is unreal. As well, there are SOOO many people that want it gone, it is unreal.

This is our website for education purposes for those that haven't followed her.

www.suzythetiger.org

...and some News

http://www.atv.ca/victoria/news_61758.aspx

http://channels.barriedirect.info/websites/Goldstream_Gazette_The/

Currently Bennett is asking for donations to help cover the cost of his legal fees to keep Suzy on his property.

What a nightmare... :(

zelatore
09-22-2008, 12:13 AM
Holly crap - I just read on your save suzy site that the fence is open-topped and only
9' high.

From the SF Chronicle regarding the escape of the tiger back around Christmas:

"The animal, a 4-year-old tiger named Tatiana, did not leave the grotto through its only door, zookeepers said. The grotto is surrounded by a 15-foot-wide moat and a 20-foot-high wall."

So, if the SF Bengal tiger could clear a 15' moat and 20' wall....

But I'm sure the owner feels HIS tiger would never hurt anybody. That's exactly what every concerned person facing a barking dog hears from it's owner just before Fido goes for their neck.

And I'd rather take my chances with a pit bull than a freakin' tiger.

BUIZILLA
09-22-2008, 07:54 AM
Hopefully we will see a happy ending to this. There are SOOO many people that want this Cat to stay 4 houses away from me it is unreal. As well, there are SOOO many people that want it gone, it is unreal.
chances are the people that live the farthest away want it to stay :nilly:

mike o
09-22-2008, 11:48 AM
Just a matter of time before a CAT-tast-tro-phy happens.