PDA

View Full Version : tug!

zelatore
09-03-2008, 07:12 PM
Over the holiday weekend we cruised up the Petaluma River with our Carver group. Along the way, I happened to pass this little guy under construction.

I know a few of you have a background (George at least) in this sort of thing. I just thought it was funny looking being as tall as it was long. Note the cort nozzle w/integrated rudder. Should be highly maneverable.

gcarter
09-03-2008, 07:38 PM
Yep, those little push boats are cute, almost cartoonish....but quite affective!
Don, maybe you'll recognise this;
http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=38324&d=1220488661

And if you're interested, it had two of the 14 cylinder engines.....yep, a total of 14,000 HP.
No Kort nozzles though...it went too fast. W/the barge attached, it cruised at 14 Kts.

BUIZILLA
09-03-2008, 07:40 PM
interesting that the props turn inwards for an inboard application...

gcarter
09-03-2008, 07:44 PM
Jim, I'd forgotten that, and I don't remember why, but it was extensively tank tested.

zelatore
09-03-2008, 08:00 PM
I do believe we've got one of those over in Richmond....

Looks odd to see it without the barge.

The sled it's built on is an interesting rig. Looks like you'd have to launch her pretty deep then pull her backward off the rig.

I may have to print that pic out and put it up on my wall. Directly accross from my office are some old slipways. At least a dozen times a year I get asked what 'those big concrete pads' are for.

gcarter
09-03-2008, 08:23 PM
I do believe we've got one of those over in Richmond....
Looks odd to see it without the barge.
The sled it's built on is an interesting rig. Looks like you'd have to launch her pretty deep then pull her backward off the rig.
I may have to print that pic out and put it up on my wall. Directly accross from my office are some old slipways. At least a dozen times a year I get asked what 'those big concrete pads' are for.
Yeah, it was a barge that was critical for the launch. It was sunk in place and the tug moved off it. Afterwards, it was refloated by blowing the water out.
BTW, this took place in Galveston in about 1974.