PDA

View Full Version : trim motor ?

smokediver
09-03-2008, 02:20 PM
My power trim quit working .. Stock Merc set-up ... I have 13 volts at the selenoid and 13 at the blue wire going to the motor ... I just get a click sound kinda like a starter , just a click and then nothing ... I have been noticing that the motor was running kinda slow and had a different sound ... Does my motor need replacing ? thanks in advance ...

Conquistador_del_mar
09-03-2008, 02:32 PM
My power trim quit working .. Stock Merc set-up ... I have 13 volts at the selenoid and 13 at the blue wire going to the motor ... I just get a click sound kinda like a starter , just a click and then nothing ... I have been noticing that the motor was running kinda slow and had a different sound ... Does my motor need replacing ? thanks in advance ...

Jump a wire over the posts of that solenoid to see if the motor then runs. If it does, then the solenoid is bad - if not, the motor is bad. You also need to make sure the ground to the motor is good. Off and running, Bill

DonziJon
09-03-2008, 03:24 PM
Could also be Rotten Wiring running from the Trim Limit Switch on the left side of the drive through the transom. In older boats..say mid-late eighties, water (particularly salt water) wicks up into the wire and actually rots the copper core in the wire running from the Limit Switch ("Hockey Puck") through the transom.

When this happens the trim circuit "Thinks" the drive is full up and will not lift the drive when you use the throttle trim switch. You may however be able to lift the drive with the trailer switch... this doesn't work well while under load however.

This wire is a PITA to replace. However, you can "Fool" the circuit. Go inside the engine room on the port side down near the oil filter (350) and unwrap the wiring harness to expose all the wires. Reach aft along the harness and find three single wire conductors bundled together. TWO of the conductors will run into a Single PLUG.. the other conductor will go into another plug. These 2+1 conductors will plug into TWO inline plugs that lead to the transom assembly where they exit the boat to the drive.

PULL (disconnect) the plugs from the two conductors going out through the transom ass'y. NOW: take the 2+1 conductors and "snip" the plugs OFF. You want to twist all three wires together. We are talking about the wiring Harness side. Forget the two wires exiting the transom..they are junk. (The TWO Harness wires together are BOTH Blue/White. The single wire is Purple/White.)

NOW try the trim switch on the throttle to see if the drive lifts up. If it does, your good to go.

WARNING: You have now fooled the circuit into thinking that the drive is NOT FULLY UP.... so NOW.. when you lift the drive with the trim switch on the throttle, the LIMIT Switch (hockey puck)
is inoperative and you MUST actually WATCH the drive as you lift it.. OR you can Jam the drive up into the Gimbal Ring.

This whole thing is a little inconvenient to live with but you can learn. I have been using this for over three years without a problem. Just keep an eye on the drive when you want to lift it up FULLY for trailering. None of this affects the trim GUAGE on the dash. It will still work normally. It's just not as accurate as your eyeball. John

smokediver
09-03-2008, 04:54 PM
thanks for that ! i remember that happened on my 1998 boat .. this one is n 03 but i will check that out ... funny but originally the trim wouldnt work but when i depressed the button the whol way it worked ... and now none of it works .. i did jump a wire from the power side of the selenoid to the blue wire on the trim motor but got nothing ...

smokediver
09-04-2008, 03:52 PM
update ! I smacked the housing with a rubber mallett a few times and it works !:smash: brushes must have been sticking

Pismo
09-04-2008, 04:25 PM
update ! I smacked the housing with a rubber mallett a few times and it works !:smash: brushes must have been sticking

That may buy you a few seasons.....Need a new one eventually.