PDA

View Full Version : My neighbor gets a new roof.

justleft
09-03-2008, 01:34 PM
I just had to share this. I would have never believed it if I hadn't seen it.

First a little about the next door neighbor. In his 40's, drummer for a living (lousy), country mostly but changes bands often.
He has no mailbox or address on his house so the musician buds keep coming to our door. Keeps calling
animal control and claiming our 2 outdoor cats are eating his garden (even after I showed him the rabbit crap).
He is anal about mowing his yard and won't put the riding lawn mower away until it runs out of gas. So he rides
around for hrs burning off the gas. But, he has not done anything to the house in the 12 yrs we have been here.
So the wood plank siding is rotting along with all of the other wood. The roof is missing 1/4 of it's shingles.
There are holes where animals have chewed through, screens torn and flapping, etc, etc. (We don't get along)

When his well pump failed his daddy (in his 70's) had city water put in. Then his heatpump (AC) got so loud that I couldn't
sleep and I helped it die a dignified death. His daddy had a new one put in.

About a month ago this crew shows up and nails tarps over his roof (green and blue). We had a bet on the block
as to how long they would be there. (I guessed 6 months) Well, dad shows up and has a few contractors over for bids.

Yesterday 14 (<edit>; hispanic speaking men) show up. A few were walking down the street looking in mail boxes and I ran one off
after he opened the door of my work truck. (There is something very convincing about a pump 12 gauge !! They haven't been in my yard since !)

They strip the roof of shingles and tar paper (or felt, whatever it is called now) including all of the metal flashing
where the dormers meet the roof and around the chimney. This was tucked up behind the planks.
They removed the attic vents and cut off the plumbing vent pipes flush with the roof !!!

They only brought 1 sheet of MDF with them so they didn't replace any of the rotted sheeting only cut small patches.
The tar paper they used was as thick as toilet paper and laying it flat or not tearing was not a worry.
The shingles are black (not a smart move for attic temps in Charlotte) and also about as thick as toilet paper.
They just shingled over the vents and put in a molded pumping vent somewhere near where the old one was.
I figured they did not have a 3" for the main stack vent because they just shingled over it. !!!!
Now get this, they built up 3 layers of shingles cut to about 4" wide along the peak of the roof and then added a top layer
of shingles cut to about 5" wide to make it look like there are peak vents !!!! Totally faked !!!!

Where flashing used to be they nailed folded shingles and gooped on tar.

I'm guessing dad went for the low bid.

Guess what, it looks like crap and I bet it won't last 5 yrs.

cutwater
09-03-2008, 01:56 PM
Then his heatpump (AC) got so loud that I couldn't
sleep and I helped it die a dignified death

Funny story, but you better hope this guy's not a Donzi.net member!

I had a "contractor" try to do this type of shoddy work before, had to give him the boot...

DonziJon
09-03-2008, 02:22 PM
Is it possable........ he's "fixing it up" to SELL? If he's a cheapskate, why would he go to the trouble and expence to install Phony ridge vents? We must have Hope. :crossfing: John

maddad
09-03-2008, 02:40 PM
Some say they're here to do the work we don't want to do. That sounds like something that just shouldn't be done.

justleft
09-03-2008, 02:40 PM
Ok, when your AC is louder then band practice, the AC doesn't have much time left. I just can't stand to hear a machine suffer.

He won't sell. Where else could the band practice ?

We are hoping he will dump the place. We would knock it down and make an acre of back yard. :)