PDA

View Full Version : Check you motor mount bracket bolts

CHACHI
09-02-2008, 09:03 AM
Three weeks ago when bringing the boat on plane it lost forward motion, engine reved and splashed back off plane. No rubber smell, rubber debris, no out drive noise , no nothin'.

Being 45 miles from home it was going to be a long tow for Phil (MOP), but after a 6 mile tug, Alex (Problem Child) pointed us to a local marina.
Short story , I made it home by 8:00, boat died at 2:30, not too bad.

Stripped the splines out of the coupler. Did you know that the coupler has grease fittings? I do know now. Lack of grease wasn't the problem. The engine went out of alignment from loose motor mount bolts. Yes the ones that hold the engine to the L bracket.

When aligning the engine, the shop noticed that they couldn't get the bolts that hold the aluminum bracket to the stringer tight. When they looked closer at the bolts, they were all too long. Too long to the extent that a lock washer was installed (to take up shank length) on the bolt before it was installed. Even with this factory mod, the bolts were still too long.

I have to think that these bolts were installed at the factory. Although I am the third owner of this boat, and I have meet the second owner and he didn't seem like the kid of guy who would just change out these bolts for the hell of it.
Come to think it I would know why you would want to with stock power and mounts.

I am listing my HIN so people with a HIN that is close can check their bolts.
I really can't believe that the factory buys on a as needed basis, they probably had dozens of boxes of these babies.

I hope I am the only one.

Hope this helps.
Ken

1999 Donzi 22C
HIN DNAC2019K899

Morgan's Cloud
09-02-2008, 11:35 AM
Ken , welcome to the very exclusive (it seems) "my coupler failed and it WASN'T the rubber thingy" club.
I've been here (and elsewhere) for a little while and without fail when people start talking about the coupler going they talk about the unmistakeable smell of burnt rubber ...
I've only ever had one coupler fail and it went by the splines like yours ... misalignment . NO RUBBER SMELL ! !
So to all others ..... No rubber smell does not mean an OK coupler ....
Steve

mrfixxall
09-02-2008, 12:44 PM
Three weeks ago when bringing the boat on plane it lost forward motion, engine reved and splashed back off plane. No rubber smell, rubber debris, no out drive noise , no nothin'.

Being 45 miles from home it was going to be a long tow for Phil (MOP), but after a 6 mile tug, Alex (Problem Child) pointed us to a local marina.
Short story , I made it home by 8:00, boat died at 2:30, not too bad.

Stripped the splines out of the coupler. Did you know that the coupler has grease fittings? I do know now. Lack of grease wasn't the problem. The engine went out of alignment from loose motor mount bolts. Yes the ones that hold the engine to the L bracket.

When aligning the engine, the shop noticed that they couldn't get the bolts that hold the aluminum bracket to the stringer tight. When they looked closer at the bolts, they were all too long. Too long to the extent that a lock washer was installed (to take up shank length) on the bolt before it was installed. Even with this factory mod, the bolts were still too long.

I have to think that these bolts were installed at the factory. Although I am the third owner of this boat, and I have meet the second owner and he didn't seem like the kid of guy who would just change out these bolts for the hell of it.
Come to think it I would know why you would want to with stock power and mounts.

I am listing my HIN so people with a HIN that is close can check their bolts.
I really can't believe that the factory buys on a as needed basis, they probably had dozens of boxes of these babies.

I hope I am the only one.

Hope this helps.
Ken

1999 Donzi 22C
HIN DNAC2019K899

if you havnt done it yet make sure they replace the yoke on the drive also:)

MOP
09-02-2008, 01:23 PM
Was wondering when the tail of you pushing the rope was going to come to light!

MOP
09-02-2008, 01:30 PM
Kenny see what happens when your nuts bottom out, you end up with loose screws!! Darn if you ran it with the hatch up you may have seen it dance, I guess the riggers were smoking something good a lunch that day!!!