PDA

View Full Version : 26 zx.....

Donziweasel
08-30-2008, 08:20 AM
When was the last year produced?

I am doing something different next year and was going to go Classic of some sort BUT Silverback, Last Real Texan and Hedgehog have gotten me interested in the bigger ZX's. You guys kicked ass!

Any known problems with it? Why did Donzi throw in the towel?

Nice one on ebay right now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004-Donzi-26-ZX_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ31270QQihZ015QQitemZ 250288249588QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

widowmaker
08-30-2008, 08:57 AM
That boat is about fifty or so miles from me and I'm in that area often. If you want me to check it out, I'll be glad to.

chappy
08-30-2008, 09:09 AM
I don't know much about the 26's, but I saw this 22 up close this summer, and it's real nice. Jamie at Lakeside did the 'charger in it. Very clean boat, top to bottom.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=53470

Donziweasel
08-30-2008, 09:42 AM
Widowmaker, thanks for the offer, but I have to sell my 16 first. Kinda a mess. In this economy, I will get raped on the sale. On the other hand, would get a great deal on a new boat as well. Wish I had the money to buy a new boat now, keep the 16 till the economy turns, then sell it.

Chappy, I saw that boat also. Impresive for a blown 350.

SilverBack
08-30-2008, 01:00 PM
That looks like a really nice boat I don't know if I would spend that much money on an 25, 26 or 27 ZX. I would jump up to a 27 ZR if I were going to do it all over again. I don't know how fast you want to go but it is tricky getting these smaller step hulls up much faster than 80 gets tricky. LRT, Hedge Hog and I all have different hulls. They are a lot further along with their boats than I am. If you do want to go fast and stay with a ZX...FYI....the 25 is cheaper to get into and much lighter. Good Luck!!

Donziweasel
08-30-2008, 06:29 PM
Oh, I want to go fast! I am not familar with the ZX's or ZR's. Been doing some research though. I like the idea of the twins on the 28ZX. Vortec both of them for my altitude. What are the handling characteristics of the ZX hulls over, let's say, 75 mph? What is the difference in hulls between the 2? I know both are stepped and the ZR is more of a performance hull, but why? Like I said, just trying to get an education.

Looking at all of them, man, they are expensive, even in this economy. That 26 I thought was pricey, but it seems most of them are in that proce range right now, if not more.

Silverback, you may be a little behind those guys, but when reading your thread, it seems you have had more problems. I must say, your thread has been very inspirational and educational. I hope it turns out the way you want it. You deserve it after all that hard work. Very impressive!

Hedgehog and LRT, very impressive as well.

SilverBack
08-30-2008, 08:50 PM
One place that I can tell you to go to find out what year different models were available is NADA.COM. You can also find some published dry weights. I think that I have documented my project a little more and I can tell you that Hedge Hog has had his share of hurdles to get over. I know that LRT has too but he does his own work and that helps a lot. I can tell you that I am a engineer and I think I have a pretty good mechanical mind but do not go into one of these build ups thinking it will all fall together with no problems. It will cost you a lot more than you think that it will. I got most of the last bugs out of my boat today and had a great run with it. It is now just a matter of prop testing but the boat runs great. My boat has a pad hull but no steps. It came out really great without having to change much of the setup. Most of the problems were things that should have been done in the first place. It could have been much worse. I spent much more than I thought that I would as it is any way. I think that if you really want to do this it may be cheaper to buy a boat already done. If you are dead set on doing the build up yourself then have fun. I am sure that LRT, HHOG and I will help all that we can.

The Hedgehog
08-31-2008, 12:59 PM
They are good boats. I think that Jamie at Lakeside has one of the last year models. I think it was an 07. They phased it out for the new ZR. I think that the ZR is a great looking boat but have not seen one in person. A number of the guys that have say it is pretty small.

They are heavy, roomy and strong. Before my ZX project I looked at a bunch of different boats. The ZX is where I kept coming back to each time.

You could drive mine with one hand at 80 (not that I do that). They respond well to big power.

The twin ZX's are cool boats but you will have to throw some money at them to run 85. Heck, I have thrown a bunch of money at mine though.

I could talk ZX all day long. Drop me a pm and we can talk if you want.

LKSD
08-31-2008, 11:35 PM
2006 Was the last year the 26zx was produced & yes the 27zr is the replacement. I however like the space im my 26 much better.. :) Jamie / Lakeside

smokediver
09-01-2008, 05:17 AM
I know where there is a green 27zx stepped hull for sale that is less money and has a 547 blower motor/cmi headers , xr upper - imco lower outdrive/maximus prop . on a really nice triple axle trailer ... just in case you are interested ... I have been 82 in it and there is a lot of room for improvement as he isn't running that much boost right now ...

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
09-01-2008, 08:16 AM
I owned a 26ZX for 3 years, very heavy boat, somewhere on this site is the picture of the truck scale readings. I had nothing but drive issues, too much boat IMHO for a straight stick Bravo drive.

Wish I had back at times though, it was a GREAT boat overall.

If I was to do it again, the 28 with twins would be my pic.
Bryan

The Hedgehog
09-01-2008, 10:27 AM
Yes, it is a heavy boat. You have to be kind to the drive. There is a big difference in drive life when you are airing it out in the Bay vs driving in a lake. I have driven a single engine heavy boat for years with ZERO problems. Tex has a few seasons on his with some pretty good power. Once you add some beans you need to go to an XR.