PDA

View Full Version : Fun project coming up

onesubdrvr
08-29-2008, 04:15 PM
But I need some things regarding the "Classic" hulls

The 22 hull has remained pretty much unchanged since it's inception, correct? (with the exception of the BlackHawk), and has a rounded keel and the inner strakes end how far from the transom?

Decks included the Critters, and what else?

The 18 Pre (what year?) had the sharp V keel and the full length strakes. After that year, it was a rounded V and the strakes ended how far from the transom?

Is that the only 2 versions of the 18 hull?

As far as the deck, there was the tripple hatch, the X, the barrell back, what else am I forgetting?

The 16 seems to have changes a lot, but in different ways, can anyone explain?

Does anyone(s) in Florida (preferably South Florida) have the deck off of a 16, 18, and / or 22?

Thanks in advance!
Wayne

chappy
08-29-2008, 04:25 PM
The Corsican had a different deck, whatever it is, sounds like a cool project.:cool:

Donziweasel
08-29-2008, 04:29 PM
I don't think the 16 has changed much. Hook is still built into the hull. Strakes are the same I think. I guess the L seating come and goes. Engines have been smaller from the factory than in the past (350 before, now only 305 and V-6). Right hand drive, but 18 was the same. Of course there have been some mods, like rear vent in ****pit below rear seat was removed years ago. Under floor gas guage gone. Rear vent behind hatch above transom gone.

What you got cookin?

Lenny
08-29-2008, 05:37 PM
I have 2 X-18 decks still but at 3200 miles away, it is kinda hard... What ever happened to the tan/cream 18 2+3 Anniversary one that Poodle had at the N Miami store :D

onesubdrvr
08-29-2008, 06:12 PM
Got time to help me lift the X deck???? :D :D

When you're ready, I'm ready amigo,... anytime, that would be a GREAT chance for me to get what I need, and more importantly, for me to help a friend.

As far as the project, I've got a glass guy that owes me a favor (or two or three, etc.),

I'm a pretty good model builder

I'm going to recreate the Donzi Classics in Fiberglass, Remote Control ready.

As of right now, I'm planning on a 45" hull for the 22, 36" hull for the 18 and 33" hull for the 16, so the scale will be the same for all the hulls (2" = 1')

As of right this second, I have a couple of kits that I'm checking for closeness for the basic hull shape / width / length / height. If the ratios are right, I'll use them, and modify them to match the strakes, etc. and then build all the different deck options as well, but I've got to get some basic measurements to compare.

If things go as plan, my first one (a 36" 18 replica), will be ready to produce in about January.

Wayne

bobwpe
08-29-2008, 06:15 PM
Hi Wayne,

I have an 18 with the deck off in Hollywood (Fl) although I'm running out of things to do before it goes back on.

Note: Don't ever give MadPoodle a slightly blemished 18, you "saw" what he did to it. Here's a pic of the near pristine condition it was in when he got it.

Lenny
08-29-2008, 06:56 PM
I finally got the gas tank out of my 18. Just have to foam in a new one and pop it all back together

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=38239&d=1220049922

aaahhhhhhh... you might want to get some help on your next attempt...just my $02.

:D

onesubdrvr
08-29-2008, 07:04 PM
Hi Wayne,

I have an 18 with the deck off in Hollywood (Fl) although I'm running out of things to do before it goes back on.

Note: Don't ever give MadPoodle a slightly blemished 18, you "saw" what he did to it. Here's a pic of the near pristine condition it was in when he got it.

If you don't mind, maybe you could P/M me your #, and I'll give you a shout when I've got some time (if you still have the deck off, and if you have some time), so I can take some measurements.

I can't believe what the poodle did to you're 18,... can't imagine if it were a pit bull ;)

Wayne

bobwpe
08-29-2008, 07:35 PM
P.M. sent.
I thought I saved the good parts.

Lenny
08-29-2008, 07:51 PM
A Vinylester lay-up to boot... Nice :yes:

onesubdrvr
08-29-2008, 08:01 PM
P.M. sent.

Thank-you much,... I hope to be in touch soon :yes:

Wayne

BlownCrewCab
08-29-2008, 08:14 PM
Is that Bonding putty smeared (piled) all over the tops of the stringers???? If so thats the worst application of it I have ever seen. Looks like 25+lbs that isn't doing anything. WTF?

gcarter
08-29-2008, 09:33 PM
Wayne, My 22 is apart. The deck is on the hull now but I can get it off in about five minutes. Don't need any help to do it either.
The seeming only major change to the 22 hull was sometime in the '90's (before '96) when they moved the stringers and inner strakes further outboard. This wouldn't affect your models, but if the engine mounts are bolted to the inside of the stringers and have the shelves outboard of the stringers, it's the later model.
Folks that come by generally get lunch.
Tex Taz is coming on Monday. I've got big plans for his talents.....whatever they are. :doh::propeller::wink:

onesubdrvr
08-29-2008, 09:47 PM
Wayne, My 22 is apart. The deck is on the hull now but I can get it off in about five minutes. Don't need any help to do it either.
The seeming only major change to the 22 hull was sometime in the '90's (before '96) when they moved the stringers and outer strakes further outboard. This wouldn't affect your models, but if the engine mounts are bolted to the inside of the stringers and have the shelves outboard of the stringers, it's the later model.
Folks that come by generally get lunch.
Tex Taz is coming on Monday. I've got big plans for his talents.....whatever they are. :doh::propeller::wink:
George, that would be great.

I'm planning on trying to make it over Wednesday (as Wes had mentioned dinner ;)) , maybe I can make it early enough in the morning to take the dimensions I need, grab lunch with you guys, then maybe dinner.

Course, with me and the tribe being what it is, things often change ;)

Talk to you soon

Wayne

gcarter
08-30-2008, 08:56 AM
The only change on the 22 hull was the stringer location? :boggled:
Stringers AND strakes (they match). Also, I think, sometime after 2000 the "reversed" outer strake (chine) was introduced, but since the entire chine is out of the water at speed, it's doubtful it has any impact on handling. IMO, it's only for a dryer ride.
The "X" thingy is all over the place for the years mentioned. It seems to have moved up and down frequently depending on intended outcome. The higher "Xs" seem to porpoise less.:doh:

Here's a cross section of the older hull courtesy of Rick;

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32671&d=1194546320

And here's the newer hull, mid '90's onward;

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32589&d=1194379181

onesubdrvr
08-30-2008, 09:51 AM
Thanks George!!!

The change in the strakes is interesting, and the kind of thing I'm looking for.

The basic hull shape is most important, but the changing strakes / etc. will really allow me to "nail" the designs.

Thanks again
Wayne

mjw930
08-30-2008, 10:17 AM
Here's the drawing Donzi sent me for the trailer specs, it's dates 1999. I need to go measure my '87 to see if the strakes are indeed located at a different location.

gcarter
08-30-2008, 11:27 AM
Here's the drawing Donzi sent me for the trailer specs, it's dates 1999. I need to go measure my '87 to see if the strakes are indeed located at a different location.
It will, the older dimensions came off my '88.

onesubdrvr
08-30-2008, 12:19 PM

You know,.... if I could get 1 of those with a top view too, for each hull configuration, I'd have all I needed to make my hulls,...... Of course, how many different variations of the decks there are would get me,...

That is a great drawing, thanks!
Wayne

onesubdrvr
09-26-2008, 03:15 PM
Many thanks to Bob for letting me come down there and measure his hull,.....

Unfortunately, I was having too much fun shooting the breeze about boating, and didn't get to do any measureing, but WELL worth it!

Bob, I enjoyed meeting you and hanging out for the day, thanks for lunch, it's on me next time. As a side note, your 18 is moving along beautifully, and before you know it, you'll be looking for that drain plug lol.

Well Scott, you're next lol,.... when ever your ready to pull the deck on the X (as long as it's a weekend ;) ) I'm there

So, no measurements yet, but I do have a mode that's pretty close that I'm going to copy the pieces and build / modify to be right,

I'm thinking 1/4 scale (4' for the 16, etc.) Do you guys think that's a little big, or is it just right? Keeping in mind, that to power it to about 45mph a gas (26cc) engine would be used.

Thanks!
Wayne