PDA

View Full Version : Bilge Pump was Still Running

justleft
08-28-2008, 04:32 PM
A friend older bass boat sunk at the dock sometime over the last few days.
We have had 16" of rain but the sun is out now.

It was suspended off of the port dock lines and hanging under water on it's side.
We slung straps under and racheted it to the surface. As we got it up the
bilge pump hose was floating on the surface pumping water !!!!

Looks like the hose got brittle and broke off of the thru-hull.

Had no idea that things would run that long underwater (fresh).

mphatc
08-28-2008, 08:43 PM
This is a good post justleft! I have seen many a boat sink at the dock because of a bilge pump failure or some small over looked lack of maintenance.

With all the rain forecast for the country during hurricane season, it's a good time to check this stuff.
Last fall my Boston Whaler filled up at the dock , because half a dozen leaves clogged the ****pit drain . . which reminds me to create a large strainer to avoid that this year!

Thank you,
Mario

BlownCrewCab
08-29-2008, 06:46 AM
I bought a 16 donzi once for $800, it was floating straight up and down, just 6" of the bow showing. when I got it out I hooked up the bilge pump and it worked fine, it just wasn't hooked up and too much rain made it sink.:propeller:

Morgan's Cloud
08-29-2008, 06:54 AM
A reminder to all yes .

If you have those pathetic 'marelon' (fancy name for plastic) through hulls , change them to s/s or chromed bronze . Don't let bilge hoses get brittle with age either . Cracks can easilly hide in the ridged type of tubing.

By it's very nature a submersible pump should always work no matter how long it's been underwater , as long as it has juice .......