PDA

View Full Version : Shipping payment question.

yeller
08-28-2008, 12:12 PM
I have Osborne Inboard Transport lined up to ship something for me, but he is asking for 50% deposit before booking. He comes recommended, but in this economy, businesses are closing down left and right. His concern is he goes to get the item and it's not there, so he has a wasted trip. I'm concerned about losing my deposit and then having to find another shipper.

The shipment is going FL to WA and the shipper is in KY. I'm in Canada. Does anyone know if (and how) I can set up the deposit 'in trust'. Not sure if he'll go for it, but I'd like to know if it's an option before I present it to him.

chappy
08-28-2008, 12:44 PM
escrow.com

I've used this site before, when I had similar fears. Funds aren't released until both parties are satisfied.

Tidbart
08-28-2008, 12:50 PM
Maybe this will help ease your mind.

http://www.uship.com/profile/osbornetransport/page3

You said a mouthful.."He comes recommended, but in this economy, businesses are closing down left and right."

I would be satisfied with proof of insurance/bonding. Another question, are you paying by cash or credit card?

I have no experience with this company, just giving my $.02 worth.

Bob

Lenny
08-28-2008, 01:23 PM
I have Osborne Inboard Transport lined up to ship something for me, but he is asking for 50% deposit before booking. He comes recommended, but in this economy, businesses are closing down left and right. His concern is he goes to get the item and it's not there, so he has a wasted trip. I'm concerned about losing my deposit and then having to find another shipper.
The shipment is going FL to WA and the shipper is in KY. I'm in Canada. Does anyone know if (and how) I can set up the deposit 'in trust'. Not sure if he'll go for it, but I'd like to know if it's an option before I present it to him.

Yeller, does his trailer have room for an 18 on a tandem and if so, how much? I have gotten quotes from him before for this same transport and it was about $4500. :eek:

calll me if you like 250-361-8234

Lenny :)

ky-donzi
08-28-2008, 02:16 PM
Yeller

Where is the shipper located at? Just currious

Trueser
08-28-2008, 02:37 PM
http://osborneinboardtransport.com/home website is down,,,

Kyle did a great job on both boats. I still would use him to ship something for me.

justleft
08-28-2008, 02:59 PM
50% seems real high to me.

Check his insurance and bounding.

I used whellin2go (uShip) to haul my 22c last year. He was 10% down through PayPal.

I just had an F-250 shipped from Tx and that hauler wanted 100% down but held in
escrow.

good luck

yeller
08-28-2008, 09:08 PM
I'll check into escrow.com. Thanks.

Tidbart, I found that Uship link, but it made me worried. If you click on your link it doesn't show the negative feedback he got lately. If you click on "feedback left by osborne" and then click on "feedback left for osborne" the last two comments come up. Both were complaints of a no-show. That and the fact his website is down has me wondering if he's reliable.

yeller
08-28-2008, 10:20 PM
Yeller
Where is the shipper located at? Just curriousIn KY.

Another question, are you paying by cash or credit card?Hadn't thought of that. Are you suggesting I may be able to reverse the charges if using a CC.

A possible way of protection my sister mentioned was to get him to request I mail him the payment. Once someone requests using mail, if they don't deliver, it becomes a federal offence of mail fraud. She said someone stiffed on a product once and she called US Postal about it and they help retrieve the money.

Trueser
08-28-2008, 10:32 PM
Yeller, I have met this man and would pay him 100% upfront. He does exactly what he says. I saved a ton of money using him. And will use him again. I will give him a call and see whats going on.

RedDog
08-28-2008, 10:51 PM
Yeller, I have met this man and would pay him 100% upfront. He does exactly what he says. I saved a ton of money using him. And will use him again. I will give him a call and see whats going on.

That's a great recommendation and suggestion - a call from a previous client can put minds at ease

yeller
08-28-2008, 11:57 PM

That's a great recommendation and suggestion - a call from a previous client can put minds at easeThat is why I still would like to use him. I trust Trueser's recommendation.....but I still see all these red flags that say back away.
1) Website offline
2) Last 2 Uship comments were complaints of a no-show
3) I offered to send the deposit to the business that has my goods and he can phone them to make sure they have the money when he arrives for pickup...but he said no.

I only purchased the item based on the price Osborne gave me for shipping, so I want him to do it. Because I don't know Osborne, the above would normally be strike 3 your out, .....but....he comes so highly recommended by Trueser.

I'm not complaining about the money. All I want is some type of protection, that's it.

I'm going to contact him with some more options, but if we can't come to an agreement, I may be able to work something out with Lenny.

Trueser
09-02-2008, 04:16 PM
They are still in business and doing well. There website is down because the provider has problems. I spoke with Kyle and he still moves boats everyday. They also still have the proper DOT paperwork and Insurance.

I used these guys for both of my boats and they did a fantastic job. I will use them again for sure.

Uship is a nightmare. Good luck

yeller
09-04-2008, 03:31 PM
Trueser, based on your recommendation, I'd decided to go ahead with Kyle after talking to him again. I just sent him an email which was sent back undeliverable, so I called him but his phone isn't accepting messages either.

There's just too many reasons to not use him now. He won't let me send the deposit to the point of pick up, his website is down, his email is down, his phone is down.

Really wish I could have worked something out with him as his price was definately good. Lenny's willing to pick it up for me, but it might be too wide to fit in the truck. If I have to pay $4000+ for shipping it's just not worth it. Hopefully I can work something out soon.

Lenny
09-04-2008, 05:07 PM
Trueser, based on your recommendation, I'd decided to go ahead with Kyle after talking to him again. I just sent him an email which was sent back undeliverable, so I called him but his phone isn't accepting messages either.
There's just too many reasons to not use him now. He won't let me send the deposit to the point of pick up, his website is down, his email is down, his phone is down.
Really wish I could have worked something out with him as his price was definately good. Lenny's willing to pick it up for me, but it might be too wide to fit in the truck. If I have to pay $4000+ for shipping it's just not worth it. Hopefully I can work something out soon.

I have your dimensions. They will fit inside the Budget 5 ton. There are a lot of options. Like before, let me know. I might be able to do this sooner than Nov10-ish if need REALLY be.

250-361-8234