PDA

View Full Version : bravo prop on an 18

smokediver
08-27-2008, 08:21 PM
has anyone ran a bravo1 prop on an 18 ?... I think I am going to run one for grins on Saturday ...

BlownCrewCab
08-27-2008, 08:53 PM
I Ran a 24" B1 on my 18' with a 2" high X Dim, I Did it for the slow speed benefits, Pulling tubes and stuff. a 23" Mirage was 5+ MPH faster.

osur866
08-27-2008, 10:05 PM
I've run 4 different ones on my 18. I'm also running a -2" imco shorty there a little slower than a 3 blade but in my case they give me back the good tight turns I had before the shorty that I lost with the 3 blade. If it where me and i was still running the standard length lower I'd be running either a mirage + or the TXP 3 blades. my .02 Steve PS- I've had about 14 different props on my 18 :doh: but you won't know til you try! There's one I'm pretty happy with!

ky-donzi
08-27-2008, 11:18 PM
Got a 28p bravoI on mine right now,,, Extremely staible

ajochum
08-28-2008, 08:25 AM
This is an area that i have wondered about. Imagine prop has a lot to do with tweaking better speeds. I have a stainless 21 degree prop - three blade.

Some of you mention 24 inch - do you really mean degrees, or am I incorrect - thought it was the pitch.

Couple of guys have recommended the Mirage. What pitch is best for my 18' 350/260? Is three blade the only option or are others out there?

From what I'm reading, there are tradeoffs - handling vs. speed, probably torque vs. speed, etc. Suspect some of you have several depending on what you are trying to accomplish that day.

Recommendations appreciated.

DonziJon
08-28-2008, 08:40 AM
This is an area that i have wondered about. Imagine prop has a lot to do with tweaking better speeds. I have a stainless 21 degree prop - three blade.

Some of you mention 24 inch - do you really mean degrees, or am I incorrect - thought it was the pitch.

Couple of guys have recommended the Mirage. What pitch is best for my 18' 350/260? Is three blade the only option or are others out there?

From what I'm reading, there are tradeoffs - handling vs. speed, probably torque vs. speed, etc. Suspect some of you have several depending on what you are trying to accomplish that day.

Recommendations appreciated.

Pitch is referred to in INCHES. Theoretically, one revolution of the prop will advance the boat 23" through the water....with a 23" pitch prop. John

ky-donzi
08-28-2008, 08:59 AM
ajochum
check this out

http://www.go-fast.com/Prop_Slip_Calculator.htm

I'm going to guess that a 23 mirage would be nice for you, but there are guy here that know way more than I do on that topic.

BlownCrewCab
08-28-2008, 09:34 AM
That website should say "Gear ratio, Divided by 1056" Not X, if you multiply it will be wrong, Their calculator is correct, but the text window at the top is not.

BigGrizzly
08-28-2008, 09:53 AM
Generally a 4 blade is slower then a 3 blade, a 5 blade is slower then a 4 blade. This is assuming the props are of the same maker. on standard drive heights B1s are notoriously less pitch then stated. Everything is a combination of events. Ajochum you have asked about the prop for your boat before, the answer is the same. I avoided making a statement because I sell and test props. With a 260 HP on that boat. I would use a turbo 1 or TXP 23 on that boat, providing it is a Mercruiser Alpha drive. If it is a Volvo My props are hands down the winner. The engine you have is not super powerful Like Smokes and some others so their props won't work for you. Most people haven't tried a lot of different props on their boats. I show up at events with over 500 pounds of props and very few ever try them. Lake George was the first event where more then one person tested. Cumberland does too, but not as much as you would think. At Lake George 5 people tested and all found better props from me. At this point only two companies are designing new and better props for the small boat market of under 24 feet with performance engines, they are Precision and Solas. The rest are selling the old stuff or re naming it with a tweek for a bass boat. I am talking STOCK out of the box props. Labbing is not stock by any means, it is actually a redesign of a prop you already have ande doesn't work the way you want. I will probably cut back on the amount of props I bring to an event, it is a wast of my time and fuel hauling. needless to say packing and unpacking. After the Owners Rally I will only bring what is asked for, prior to the event. OSUR866 learned a ton at Cumberland, aqnd I really don't think it is over yet.

The Hedgehog
08-28-2008, 04:47 PM
I ran one for a pretty good while on my 18 because I happened to have one around while I was looking for the right prop.

Try it for grins but I am very confident it is not the prop for that boat. I ended up with a Turbo 23. It is superior on that boat in both speed and handling. The Bravo I is slower and will suck the stern down if you trim it up.

I also tried the M+. Not bad but IMHO it did not hold a candle to the Turbo. I keep a M+ as a spare.