PDA

View Full Version : Quick Coast Guard question....

Donziweasel
08-27-2008, 06:37 PM
Just wondering what the Coast Guard cutter Dallas is doing in the Black Sea delivering supplies to Georgia? I thought the Coast Guard was supposed to be restricted to US waters. Don't get me wrong, I am very glad they are delivering supplies to Georgia after the conflict, but was wondering if this is part of the Coast Guards mission. The Black Sea is a hell of a long way from the US. Thought it would be either military or commercial ships.

Mr.X?

Air 22
08-27-2008, 07:39 PM
Just wondering what the Coast Guard cutter Dallas is doing in the Black Sea delivering supplies to Georgia? I thought the Coast Guard was supposed to be restricted to US waters. Don't get me wrong, I am very glad they are delivering supplies to Georgia after the conflict, but was wondering if this is part of the Coast Guards mission. The Black Sea is a hell of a long way from the US. Thought it would be either military or commercial ships.
Mr.X?

I was assigned to the Cutter Dallas WHEC 716...here's what I can tell you..

DEFENSE OPERATIONS

For more than 210 years, the Coast Guard has served the nation as one of the five armed forces. Throughout its distinguished history, the Coast Guard has enjoyed a unique relationship with the Navy. By statute, the Coast Guard is an armed force, operating in the joint arena at any time and functioning as a specialized service under the Navy in time of war or when directed by the President. It also has command responsibilities for the U.S. Maritime Defense Zone, countering potential threats to American's coasts, ports, and inland waterways through numerous port-security, harbor-defense, and coastal-warfare operations and exercises.

Dallas has performed countless operations in support of National Defense both off the shores of domestic and foreign soil. Beginning with the Vietnam War where Dallas engaged in over 161 Naval gunfire support missions she has played an integral part of National Security at home and abroad. Dallas frequently deploys with US Naval and foreign naval units in support of this mission. Recent deployments have been to the Mediterranean where Dallas trains with the US Sixth Fleet and foreign naval and coast guard units in support of multi-national exercises to increase cooperation between the US and foreign countries.

Hope this ans your question..:wink:

Donziweasel
08-27-2008, 07:43 PM
Thanks Air, never knew the Coast Guard was involved in humanitarian missions abroad. You were on that Cutter? Sounds like she has had a long and distinguished career.

BUIZILLA
08-27-2008, 07:50 PM
I have 2 jobs in the shop right now from a CG base in Bahrain...

Air 22
08-27-2008, 07:51 PM
Thanks Air, never knew the Coast Guard was involved in humanitarian missions abroad. You were on that Cutter? Sounds like she has had a long and distinguished career.
Yes..I'm proud to say I was on her during the 1st Gulf War..:salute:
She is a great ship!
USCGC Dallas (WHEC-716)
Career
Builder: Avondale Shipyards
Commissioned: 11 March 1968
Homeport: Charleston, South Carolina
Motto: Semper Nostra Optima
(Always Our Best)
Fate: Active
General characteristics
Displacement: 3,250 tons
Length: 378 feet
Beam: 43 feet
Draught: 15 feet
Propulsion: Two diesel engines and two gas turbine engines
Speed: 29 knots (54 km/h)
Range: 14,000 miles
Endurance: 45 days
Complement: 167 personnel
Sensors and
processing systems: AN/SPS-40 air-search radar
Armament: One Otobreda 76 mm gun, replacing the 5" gun, and one Phalanx missile system

Donziweasel
08-27-2008, 08:11 PM
Buiz, I am going to bet they aint Series 60's.:smash: Damn, Coast Guard has a base over there?

Air, she is fast for a 1968. How long were you on her? Did she come with the gas turbines or were they a retro fit? Where was she (and you) stationed during the Gulf War? From Charleston SC, where I went to College. We actually would go to the Coast Guard base there and buy booze much cheaper than at a liqour store. Trying to remember if I ever saw her there.

I am sure you are proud of her as she is going into a **** storm over there and could be subject to Russian interference.

BTW, I know what Phalanx gun is, what is a Phalanx missile?

Air 22
08-27-2008, 08:22 PM
Buiz, I am going to bet they aint Series 60's.:smash: Damn, Coast Guard has a base over there?
Air, she is fast for a 1968. How long were you on her? Did she come with the gas turbines or were they a retro fit? Where was she (and you) stationed during the Gulf War? From Charleston SC, where I went to College. We actually would go to the Coast Guard base there and buy booze much cheaper than at a liqour store. Trying to remember if I ever saw her there.
BTW, I know what Phalanx gun is, what is a Phalanx missile?

I was on her when home port was Gov"s Island in NY Harbor...my separation was in 1993..she went to Charleston, SC in 1996..Gas Tubines came on her..

Originally commissioned in 1967 at Avondale Shipyard in New Orleans, Dallas is the sixth cutter to bear the name Alexander J. Dallas, the Secretary of the Treasury under President James Madison (1814-1816). Dallas was first home ported at the former Coast Guard base on Governor’s Island, New York. She was relocated to her current homeport of Charleston, South Carolina on September 14, 1996.

In her early years, Dallas collected valuable meteorological and oceanographic data on “ocean state” as part of the Gate Project and assisted commercial aircraft crossing the Atlantic Ocean.

During seven combat patrols off the coast of Vietnam, Dallas compiled an impressive list of accomplishments, including161 Naval gunfire support missions involving 7,665 rounds of 5-inch ammunition. This resulted in 58 sampans destroyed and 29 supply routes, bases, camps, or rest areas damaged or destroyed. Her 5-inch guns made her incredibly valuable to the naval missions in the area.

In 1980, Dallas was the command ship for the historic Mariel Boatlift, during which 125,000 Cuban refugees set sail for the shores of Florida. At the time, it was the largest humanitarian operation ever undertaken by the Coast Guard. In 1983, Dallas earned a Coast Guard Unit Commendation for achievements that included the seizure of seven vessels smuggling over 103,000 lbs. Of marijuana and the interdiction of 90 illegal Haitian migrants. In 1986, Dallas served as the on-scene command for the search and rescue operation following the Space Shuttle Challenger disaster. For her service during this operation, Dallas received the Coast Guard’s Meritorious Unit Commendation.

In the late 1980’s, Dallas underwent a fleet rehabilitation and modernization (FRAM). During this period, Dallas’ living quarters, electronics, sensors, and weapons systems were thoroughly upgraded to ensure her continued service beyond the year 2000. Dallas was recommissioned in 1990.

During the Haitian migrant crisis of 1991-92, Dallas performed as the flagship of a flotilla of over twenty-seven Coast Guard cutters that rescued 35,000 migrants from hundreds of overcrowded, unseaworthy vessels. Dallas received a Humanitarian Service Medal and another Coast Guard Unit Commendation for her monumental effort in establishing an operation task organization that serves as the model for today’s Coast Guard multi-unit operation

In response to the renewed threats of a mass exodus from Haiti, Operation Able Manner began in January 1993, with large numbers of Coast Guard an Navy ships and aircraft deploying to the Caribbean. Dallas assumed command of this flotilla on three separate patrols in 1993, earning her yet another Coast Guard Unit Commendation.

Dallas spent the summer of 1994 representing the Coast Guard at the 50th Normandy D-Day invasion anniversary. During these festivities, Dallas sailed with the reenactment fleet to commemorate the event. Soon after, Dallas was called upon to be the flagship for the Operation Able Vigil in response to another mass exodus from Cuba. Able Vigil was the largest Coast Guard commanded, multi-service operation since the 1940’s.

During the summer of 1995, Dallas was selected to operate with the U.S. Sixth Fleet in the Mediterranean Sea. Among her many assignments, Dallas worked with the USS Theodore Roosevelt Battle Group in support of Operation Deny Flight off the coast of the former Yugoslavia. Dallas’crew conducted nation-building training and professional exchange in various countries in the Mediterranean, Adriatic, and Black Seas. Dallas worked with the navies, coast guards, and maritime agencies of Turkey, Romania, Bulgaria, Tunisia, Slovenia, Albania, and Italy. This marked the first time that a U.S. Coast Guard cutter operated with the U.S. Sixth fleet and entered the Black Sea. Dallas earned the Armed Forces Service Medal for her contributions to Operation Deny Flight, Maritime Monitor, and Sharp Guard.

During 1997 and 1998, Dallas served as the flag ship for Operations Frontier Shield and Frontier Lance, the most effective and largest interagency, international counter-narcotic operations in the Caribbean.

In the summer of 1999, Dallas was again assigned to the U.S. Sixth fleet in the Mediterranea and Black Seas to support allied forces during the conflict in Kosovo. During her transit, the conflict was resolved, but Dallas was tasked to remain in theater and conduct training and professional exchanges with US Naval units and foreign naval forces. Dallas became the first Coast Guard cutter to enter the ports of Haifa, Isreal and Antalya, Turkey and executed training exercises with the Ukrainian Navy, Turkish Coast Guard, Geogian Navy, and the armed forces of Malta.

During the entire 1990-2000 decade Dallas held Commander Atlantic Area’s Operational Readiness Award for sustained excellence in all Naval warfare mission areas.

Following the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001 on New York and Washington, Dallas was deployed as part of Operation Noble Eagle off the coast of the southeaster United States. Her mission was to interrogate and board vessels entering US waterways. This marked a change in the Coast Guard’s operations as homeland security blanketed Dallas’ primary mission of drug interdiction.

During the summer of 2002, Dallas entered a new era in maritime drug interdiction. Deployed alongside the USCGC Gallatin, the only other 378’ cutter on the east coast, Dallas took part in Operation New Frontier. Operation New Frontier utilizes armed helicopters from the Helicopter Interdiction Tactical Squadron (HITRON) in attempt to stop small high-speed vessel (“go-fasts”) before they can reach their destination.

Dallas’ awards include: three Humanitarian Service Medals, two Joint Meritorious Unit Commendations, three Coast Guard Unit Commendations, two Coast Guard Meritorious Unit Commendations, a Navy Meritorious Unit Commendation, Armed Forces Service Medal, numerous Coast Guard Special Operations service ribbons, the Republic of Vietnam Gallantry Cross Unit Citation, the Republic of Vietnam Civil Actions Unit Citation, and the Republic of Vietnam Campaign Medal.

Today, Dallas continues as the most capable cutter platform on the east coast. As always Dallas will continue to act as a multi-mission ship in support of Coast Guard activities worldwide. Homeland Security, Maritime Law Enforcement, Search and Rescue, Defense Operations, and Migrant Interdiction will continue to be the main focus of Dallas as she approaches the end of her service life. The Coast Guard’s Deepwater initiative plans on decommissioning Hamilton class cutters during the next decade. Until that time Dallas will continue to serve the nations’ interests both close to home and foreign shores.

Dallas has participated in numerous Search and Rescue cases throughout her thirty-seven year history. One of the most notible cases was the Shuttle Challenger disaster of 1986 in which Dallas was called upon to act as onscene commander for dozens of Coast Guard and Naval vessels and aircraft. Based on Dallas' operational capabilities she is frequently called upon to take charge of high profile cases.

Dallas has performed countless operations in support of National Defense both off the shores of domestic and foreign soil. Beginning with the Vietnam War where Dallas engaged in over 161 Naval gunfire support missions she has played an integral part of National Security at home and abroad. Dallas frequently deploys with US Naval and foreign naval units in support of this mission. Recent deployments have been to the Mediterranean where Dallas trains with the US Sixth Fleet and foreign naval and coast guard units in support of multi-national excercises to increase cooperation between the US and foreign countries.

Migrant Interdiction has been a large part of Dallas' history. She has assumed command of multiple task units during mass illegal immigrant migrations during her history.

I was on the Gallatin before the Dallas for the cross-deck. In the late 1980s, the Dallas underwent a fleet rehabilitation and modernization (FRAM) program in the Portland, Maine, yards of the Bath Iron Works. During that period, her living quarters, electronics, sensors, and weapons systems were upgraded to allow continued service beyond the year 2000. The Dallas was recommissioned by the "Cross-decked" crew from the Gallatin on December 20, 1989

Air 22
08-27-2008, 08:29 PM
"I am sure you are proud of her as she is going into a **** storm over the

BTW, I know what Phalanx gun is, what is a Phalanx missile?"

Sorry..typo...it was supposed to be Phalanx missile system:smash:

Donziweasel
08-27-2008, 08:44 PM
She's almost 40 and has obvioulsy had a damn good career. Combat, humanitarian missions, costal patrol, etc.... I think if I had ever been in the CG, I would have liked to be assigned to her.

Still, what is a Phalanx Missile System? Fires many radar guided missles fast like the Phalanx Cannon?

Air 22
08-27-2008, 08:54 PM
She's almost 40 and has obvioulsy had a damn good career. Combat, humanitarian missions, costal patrol, etc.... I think if I had ever been in the CG, I would have liked to be assigned to her.
Still, what is a Phalanx Missile System? Fires many radar guided missles fast like the Phalanx Cannon?

YES..
The MK 15 Phalanx Close-In Weapons System (CIWS - pronounced "sea-whiz") is a fast-reaction, rapid-fire 20-millimeter gun system that provides US Navy ships with a terminal defense against anti-ship missiles that have penetrated other fleet defenses. Designed to engage anti-ship cruise missiles and fixed-wing aircraft at short range, Phalanx automatically engages functions usually performed by separate, independent systems such as search, detection, threat evaluation, acquisition, track, firing, target destruction, kill assessment and cease fire. Phalanx underwent operational tests and evaluation onboard USS Bigelow in 1977, and exceeded maintenance and reliability specifications. Phalanx production started in 1978 with orders for 23 USN and 14 Foreign Military Sales (FMS) systems.

Phalanx is a point-defense, total-weapon system consisting of two 20mm gun mounts that provide a terminal defense against incoming air targets. CIWS, without assistance from other shipboard systems, will automatically engage incoming anti-ship missiles and high-speed, low-level aircraft that have penetrated the ship primary defense envelope. As a unitized system, CIWS automatically performs search, detecting, tracking, threat evaluation, firing, and kill assessments of targets while providing for manual override. Each gun mount houses a fire control assembly and a gun subsystem. The fire control assembly is composed of a search radar for surveillance and detection of hostile targets and a track radar for aiming the gun while tracking a target. The unique closed-loop fire control system that tracks both the incoming target and the stream of outgoing projectiles gives CIWS the capability to correct its aim to hit fast-moving targets, including ASMs. The intent is to destroy the warhead on incoming missile. As a secondary measure, should it fail to hit the warhead, CIWS's rate of fire is intended to blow holes in the missile body, causing it to break up in air.

The gun subsystem employs a gatling gun consisting of a rotating cluster of six barrels. The gatling gun fires a 20mm subcaliber sabot projectile using a heavy-metal (either tungsten or depleted uranium) 15mm penetrator surrounded by a plastic sabot and a light-weight metal pusher. The gatling gun fires 20mm ammunition at either 3,000 or 4,500 rounds-per-minute with a burst length of continuous, 60, or 100 rounds.

As a defensive weapon, the Close In Weapons System (CIWS) has special significance for Navy ships and their crews. Battle tested by the British during the Falkand War in the early 1980's, CIWS proved remarkably effective. Navy ship crews routinely test and operate CIWS to ensure the system is working correctly. While most testing involves tracking and firing at a simulated target, the real excitement starts when the fire control teams can fire at a real target.

CIWS has been a mainstay self defense system aboard nearly every class of ship since the late 70’s. It was originally designed to defeat low altitude antiship cruise missiles (ASCMs). As antiship cruise missiles became more complex in maneuvers and ability to be detected, and warfare areas moved from open ocean to littoral environments, CIWS has evolved to meet the threat.

Block 0 incorporated on-mount search and track radars, the M61A1 gatling gun capable of firing at a rate of 3,000 rounds per minute, and a 980-round magazine.

Block 1 incorporated a new search antenna to detect high altitude missiles, improved search sensitivity, increased the ammunition available for firing by 50 percent, a pneumatic gun drive which increased the firing rate to 4500 rounds per minute, and started using tungsten ammunition in place of depleted uranium. Block I improvements provide increased elevation coverage, larger magazine space for increased round capacity, a variable and higher gun fire rate, and improved radar and processing capabilities.

Block 1 baseline 0 upgrades included a larger magazine (1,500 rounds), a multiple pulse repetition frequency search radar, an expanded radar search envelope to counter diving targets as well as reliability and maintainability improvements.

Block 1 baseline 1 replaced the hydraulic gun drive with a pneumatic (air-driven) gun drive system that increased the rate of fire to 4,500 rounds per minute. Search radar sensitivity was also improved in the baseline 1 upgrade.

Block I baseline 2 introduced further reliability upgrades and a muzzle restraint to decrease dispersion. Installed on multiple non-Aegis and Aegis ships, neither the original Phalanx Block 0 nor the subsequent Block 1 baseline 0, 1, or 2 upgrades are integrated with a ship self-defense system. A January 1992 Chief of Naval Operations decision requires replacement of Phalanx with the new ESSM system in new construction DDG ships. Though it initially appeared that DDG-79 would be the first new construction DDG to receive Evolved Sea Sparrow Missile in lieu of Phalanx, it now appears that, due to a slippage in the ESSM development program, DDG-85 will be the first. The Navy plans to install the Phalanx Block 1 baseline 2 configuration as temporary installations on DDG-79 through 84 until ESSM is produced.

Block 1A incorporated a new High Order Language Computer (HOLC) to provide more processing power over the obsolete general purpose digital computer, improved fire control algorithms to counter maneuvering targets, search multiple weapons coordination to better manage engagements, and an end-to-end testing function to better determine system functionality. Block 1A provides for basic integration with the Ship Self Defense System and enables RAM missile engagement through the Phalanx detection and track function. As of mid-March 2000, Block 1A installations had been completed on 20 DDG (Aegis) destroyers, 2 LHD, 2 FFG-7, and 9 LSD 41/49 class ships. In addition, LHD-7 (currently under construction) will commission with Block 1A.

Block 1B Phalanx Surface Mode (PSUM) upgrade allows engagement of small, high-speed, maneuvering surface craft and low, slow-moving aircraft, and hovering helicopters. This upgrade incorporates a thermal imager, an automatic acquisition video tracker, and a stabilization system for the imager, providing both day and night detection of threats. The thermal imager improves the system's ability to engage anti-ship cruise missiles by providing more accurate angle tracking information to the fire control computer. Additionally, the FLIR assists the radar in engaging some ASCM’s bringing a greater chance of ship survivability. The thermal imager Automatic Acquisition Video Tracker (AAVT) and stablilization system provide surface mode and electro-optic (EO) angle track. Operational evaluation of Block 1B, conducted aboard USS Underwood (FFG-36) and the Self-Defense Test Ship, was completed in August 1999. According to Phalanx Program Office plans, Block 1B will be installed in 11 other FFG-7 CORT ships between June 2000 and July 2002.

Baseline 2C improvements provide an integrated multi-weapon operations capability. During integrated operations, the command system controls CIWS sensors, target reports, mode employment, and doctrine. The sensors are utilized to provide 360 degree search and track coverage, while providing track data to, and receiving designations from, the Command system. This CIWS installation includes a conversion kit for each weapon group to facilitate ease and safety of maintenance; the "maintenance enclosure" kit installs the below-deck equipment for a gun mount in a prefabricated enclosure with the mount located above it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cP6GpAnmAPU&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vH5RVTS4QxA&feature=related

Donziweasel
08-27-2008, 09:07 PM
What I was thinking was the same thing. Pretty mean piece of equipment. Just throw as many rounds as possible in front of a missile or plane.

DonziFreak
08-27-2008, 09:14 PM
Isn't the navy in the process of swapping out the Phalanx's with a new system?

Air 22
08-27-2008, 09:32 PM
Isn't the navy in the process of swapping out the Phalanx's with a new system?

Known as PAAMS...

The main armament for the Type 45 ships will be the Principal Anti Air Missile System (PAAMS). PAAMS provides the combat system to engage and destroy aircraft and sophisticated anti-ship missile targets threats both in defence of its own platform and others in its immediate area. The system will be particularly optimised for operations in littoral regions around the shore.

http://navy-matters.beedall.com/daring1-3.htm

superhatz
08-27-2008, 10:37 PM
I was in the Coast Guard in the late 80's early 90's.....stationed in Guam and San Francisco.

The buoy tender in Guam (CGC Basswood) traveled all over Micronesia and to the Philippines.

I swear I new some guys on the Dallas?.....where was that stationed?