PDA

View Full Version : Cost for gear replacement????

The Judge
08-25-2008, 03:03 PM
Feedback would be appreciated...I'm not technical but from a lay person's perspective here's the deal....cruising yesterday and noticed a sudden loss of power and clanking...then knocking when at idle...boat went in today and apparently it requires new upper gears and some "clean up" of the lower ones in drive? Boat is a 2002 18 Classic w/350 Mag MPI and has about 185-200 hours on it...is this to be expected? Estimate is $4250 CDN..

DonziJon
08-25-2008, 03:18 PM
This is NOT to be expected. The only thing that might cause this is if you are doing "Hole Shots". ...ie slamming the throttle wide open from a dead stop. OR....the oil drain plug fell out of the bottom of the drive and you lost all your drive oil.

A Brand New Alpha I (Gen I) can be had for around $2500. USD. Yours is a Gen II, which is essentially the same. ....OR you have a Bravo. Can't quote a price for a Bravo. $4,000 plus for a "cleanup" seems to be just a little over the top to me. :shocking: John

EDIT: Check this site out to get a "feel" for prices on drives.
http://www.dougrussell.com/Products/index.cfm?fuseaction=Products&Category=2

MOP
08-25-2008, 03:18 PM
Feedback would be appreciated...I'm not technical but from a lay person's perspective here's the deal....cruising yesterday and noticed a sudden loss of power and clanking...then knocking when at idle...boat went in today and apparently it requires new upper gears and some "clean up" of the lower ones in drive? Boat is a 2002 18 Classic w/350 Mag MPI and has about 185-200 hours on it...is this to be expected? Estimate is $4250 CDN..

You can get a brand new drive from dealers on Ebay for about the same and end up with new and a guarantee! $4250 is a tall figure!!!

glashole
08-25-2008, 03:19 PM
where are you getting the work done?

BUIZILLA
08-25-2008, 03:46 PM
$4250 is a LOT of bait no matter what drive it is... especially if their reusing your old lowers and casing...

Doc of synicism

roadtrip se
08-25-2008, 03:57 PM
Recent upper gear replacement for an XZ Bravo on an 18 with labor was about $1500. This included some rings and other assorted drive voodoo stuff. We did utilize the upper case, as it was in good condition and undamaged.

I would be very, very careful about buying somebody elses's used problem as a cheap solution.

On the opposite extreme, I just got a great price of about $4000 for a new XR upper for the 22, and this was after shopping all over. Depends on what you need, so shop around.

Keep in mind that Bravo stuff is heavier than Alpha stuff, so it is typically more money to buy and repair.

MOP
08-25-2008, 04:00 PM
Here Ya Go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Parts-Accessories___NEW-MERCRUISER-2007-BRAVO-ONE-1-OUTDRIVE-GIMBAL-DRIVE_W0QQitemZ120295487780QQddnZPartsQ20Q26Q20Acc essoriesQQddiZ2811QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item12029548 7780&_trkparms=72%3A543%7C39%3A1%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

RedDog
08-25-2008, 04:14 PM
The $ hit on my standard Bravo I repair this Spring was around $2500 (included some little other work). Rebuild the upper with a gear set kit (see - http://www.performancemarine.net/gearkits.html for representative parts cost), clean out the lower. Seems they hit me for about 8 hours of labor at 85 per. I don't know if Roadtrip had the whole kit or not. If so, then I got screwed.

DonziJon - you say this is not to be expected. Well you missed the drive carnage at AOTH this year.

The Judge
08-25-2008, 04:54 PM
Thanks, I appreciate all the feedback...quote is from a marina in Muskoka..about 2 hours north of Toronto...I obviously need to "shop" this #....looks like I will be shelving the boat for the rest of the season...Sucks, we only get 3 good months.....

DonziJon
08-25-2008, 06:30 PM
Thanks, I appreciate all the feedback...quote is from a marina in Muskoka..about 2 hours north of Toronto...I obviously need to "shop" this #....looks like I will be shelving the boat for the rest of the season...Sucks, we only get 3 good months.....

Hi Judge: An aside. A few years ago ....I think it was the hottest summer on record... never dropped below 90 degrees for two weeks.. No A/C in my truck: Clayton and Muskoka. Dragged the Minx up to Muskoka without reservations.. right after the Race Boat Regatta in Clayton. Drove completely around the lake and only saw a "Glimpse". No room at the Inn. Drove back to Toronto the same day for lodging.. home the next day. (Rhode Island). :(

SO: Back to topic: Do you have a Bravo? John

DonziJon
08-25-2008, 06:51 PM
The $ hit on my standard Bravo I repair this Spring was around $2500 (included some little other work). Rebuild the upper with a gear set kit (see - http://www.performancemarine.net/gearkits.html for representative parts cost), clean out the lower. Seems they hit me for about 8 hours of labor at 85 per. I don't know if Roadtrip had the whole kit or not. If so, then I got screwed.

DonziJon - you say this is not to be expected. Well you missed the drive carnage at AOTH this year.

RedDog: I would think a Bravo I on a 350 would be bullit proof. I drive my Minx (New 2007 Alpha I Gen I) like a Bayliner ...except maybe a speed run on occasion. Then again I'm 67 and maybe my heart can't take the stress of 0-60. When you get older...well...no need to take extra chances.:nilly::nilly:

I just like the sound of the PIPES. BTW: I may have one of only a few Minx with "drop down" through hull exhausts. The exhausts drop down through two 90 degree elbows.. then out the transom just above the waterline aft. MELLOW. :yes: John

glashole
08-26-2008, 07:08 AM
your honour

is it possible you have hit something?
this would also ruin your gears and you might not see much on a stailness steel prop

you might also want to talk to Ted at Speedmaster Marine, in Schomberg, just south of you of the 400

he might be able to get you fixed up

also don't be afraid of pulling your drive on your own and replacing it with a new one, it is a very easy thing to do for anyone with a good ratchet set and a strong buddy

good luck

Shea

kramsay1234
08-26-2008, 07:34 AM
I agree with Shea. Just buy another one, bolt her on and keep boating before the long weekend. then you can always have your other one rebuilt later as a spare or sell it to recover costs. Don't waste the rest of the season, but that price seems like full bore retail+.

The Judge
08-26-2008, 04:59 PM
Thanks all for feedback...great call Shea, speedmaster, one of my buddies does the Talon shells with Ted...he is working on some possibilties...re-furb alpha 1 from merc. w/ warranty 5400...also getting late in season so guys are looking to do some inventory purging.....may be out this weekend after all!!!

John...hopefully you got to enjoy some water time in Toronto after that long drive north without any fun...

and the verdict is....to be determined

DonziJon
08-26-2008, 06:54 PM
Thanks all for feedback...great call Shea, speedmaster, one of my buddies does the Talon shells with Ted...he is working on some possibilties...re-furb alpha 1 from merc. w/ warranty 5400...also getting late in season so guys are looking to do some inventory purging.....may be out this weekend after all!!!

John...hopefully you got to enjoy some water time in Toronto after that long drive north without any fun...

and the verdict is....to be determined

Glad to hear things are looking good for you. We never had any fun after the Muskoka trip. Havn't been back to Clayton "with the boat" either. Our Secret Place on the "River" changed owners and attitudes, we never went back. Sad.

I just bought a New Merc Alpha I (Gen I) last October. Have 4.5 hours on it so far this season. "They" ...tell me there is no break in period but I am going easy on it for awhile.....maybe 10 hours...then change the oil. John

MOP
08-26-2008, 07:21 PM
I thought we were talking Bravo! Alphas can be gotten brandy new for cheap $$$! I think George Carter paid under $1500 with a full warantee.

Phil

DonziJon
08-26-2008, 09:06 PM
George is a Thrifty Person so he did not buy an OEM Alpha. :lookaroun: He bought one of those ....well....."other"... aftermarket replacements. :smash:

(SternDrive Engineering) I actually think it was around $1100 and well worth considering at half the cost of MerCruiser.... I wanted to keep my Minx original, so I went with OEM. BTW: STE now has a 24 month warranty..twice that of the Merc. John

MOP
08-26-2008, 10:16 PM
George is a Thrifty Person so he did not buy an OEM Alpha. :lookaroun: He bought one of those ....well....."other"... aftermarket replacements. :smash:
(SternDrive Engineering) I actually think it was around $1100 and well worth considering at half the cost of MerCruiser.... I wanted to keep my Minx original, so I went with OEM. BTW: STE now has a 24 month warranty..twice that of the Merc. John

That is the one, I could not remember the name. He was pleased with it, a few others chimed in and also were pleased.

Phil