PDA

View Full Version : Starting a donzi

jamieZ
08-25-2008, 02:11 PM
Hi there, I have a Z21. Most times when I start the boat, turn the key, nothing happens.I need to rock the throttle lever or the gear selector lever and than it turns over.When i shut it off everything is fine.Is there a adjustment somewhere or a saftey switch which needs to replaced? Thank-you,Jamie

mikev
08-25-2008, 02:21 PM
need to adjust your neutral safety switch, its on the top back of your engine. sorry dont have a picture mine was doing the same thing a while back had to adjust it now it works great.

Trueser
08-25-2008, 02:22 PM
Check the switch and make sure it moves freely. Or upgrade it to a new style shifter.

Planetwarmer
08-25-2008, 02:26 PM
My friend's boat had the same problem, however when I pulled the shifter out, the wires to the neutral safety switch were cut by the shifter mechanism. Check to ensure that the wires are routed correctly and this is not your problem as well.

jamieZ
08-26-2008, 07:16 AM
How do I adjust this safety switch???Thanks, Jamie

DonziJon
08-26-2008, 09:57 AM
How do I adjust this safety switch???Thanks, Jamie

You're throttle cable is routed aft from the throttle all the way back to the transom (or Amost) and does a "U" turn.. and is threaded through a brass cylinder which is slipped over a stud, and held in place with a locknut and washer.

Remove the locknut and washer, then slip the "cylinder OFF the stud. Now you will able to "Thread" or "Unthread" the cylinder fore OR aft on the throttle cable... one or more revolutions at a time. Run the cylinder say 4-6 complete turns AFT. Replace the cylinder on the stud. No need to put the nut and washer back on yet. TRY IT. Did the problem get better or worse. If it got worse, run the cylinder foreward.... back to where it was originally..then add a few turns foreward.

When the electrical switch is comfortable between the "forks", ...shifting into foreward and then reverse to test it... you are there. This may take a few trys but it is easy to do while out in the boat. All you need is a 7/16 socket or open end/box wrench. John