PDA

View Full Version : Toilet Bowl cleaner on paint - Good or Bad???

FISHIN SUCKS
08-25-2008, 02:03 PM
Okay, summer is coming to an end in another month to month and a half here and I gotta clean the bottom. In the past, I have pulled into the quarter car wash, pulled out 7 bottles of The Works toilet bowl cleaner, and sprayed/cleaned the 'dinge' off of the hull of the old Blackwidow (all gelcoat) - works like a champ. Now we have the 28zx which is gelcoat bottom/painted sides. By using The Works toilet bowl cleaner, will this mess up the paint on the sides? Thanx in advance for your responses,

tom

zelatore
08-25-2008, 02:46 PM
I don't know if the Works is bad on paint, but I do know how to use it, a 2-liter bottle, and some aluminum foil to make a heck of a loud bang...:shocking: Sounds about like a 12-gauge going off, and is a sure-fire way to meet the neighbors. :eek!:

glashole
08-25-2008, 02:49 PM
we use "Slimey Grimey" up here

takes off anything that may have attached itself to the bottom of the boat

good luck buddy

Shea

blackhawk
08-25-2008, 03:25 PM
I don't know if the Works is bad on paint, but I do know how to use it, a 2-liter bottle, and some aluminum foil to make a heck of a loud bang...:shocking: Sounds about like a 12-gauge going off, and is a sure-fire way to meet the neighbors. :eek!:

Do it every 4th of July. My neighbors love me! LOL

txtaz
08-25-2008, 03:32 PM
George Carter should know. I think he said Easy Off oven cleaner worked best for him on gel. Now sure about paint. PM him and ask.

Da Taz

roadtrip se
08-25-2008, 04:14 PM
Your paint should be cleared, which will protect it to a point.

I would take some of your light acid of choice, aka toilet bowl cleaner, and cut it in half with some water in a spray bottle and see if that does the trick, before commiting to the full strength stuff.

Why tempt fate, if you don't have to?

FISHIN SUCKS
08-25-2008, 04:15 PM
thanx everyone, much appreciated! I have even done the bomb thing (very funny stuff when we were in college). The gel I am not worried about, I know it works there. My main concern is the paint on the sides. This Slimey stuff Shea is talking about or Pam that Wes mentioned may be the way to go, but I am just concerned about the paint and what it will handle. Is it a special paint that Donzi uses that resists acids or is it more along the lines of automotive paint that is a little more sensitive? Thanx again!

roadtrip se
08-25-2008, 04:17 PM
BASF I think. Maybe PPG. One of the two.

Pam would not be your friend. Easy Off, EVIL.

FISHIN SUCKS
08-25-2008, 04:25 PM
Thanx Todd! Okay, so nothing from the galley, that leaves me with what's in the cabinet in the head! Or do you guys think that if chemicals are to hard on the paint, will the scum line stuff wax off? I ain't into working to hard here, that's why I sold the red boat and got me a white boat!

txtaz
08-25-2008, 04:53 PM
Just a question,

Have you tried a light compound first? Test a spot and see if it comes off easy, then do the entire hull. Wax on, wax off and your done. I think the last buffer I bought was around $20 and works great. Chemicals can be very harsh on paint. And the time applied can be an issue.

Da Taz<---Did Todd have a bad experience with Easy Off??? Dude, you're not supposed to sniff it. However it cleans up rubber duckies very nice.

Trueser
08-25-2008, 05:33 PM
Just a question,
Have you tried a light compound first? Test a spot and see if it comes off easy, then do the entire hull. Wax on, wax off and your done. I think the last buffer I bought was around $20 and works great. Chemicals can be very harsh on paint. And the time applied can be an issue.
Da Taz<---Did Todd have a bad experience with Easy Off??? Dude, you're not supposed to sniff it. However it cleans up rubber duckies very nice.

Clear coat may not last with a buffer. Be carefull on the sides!!!

mike o
08-25-2008, 07:00 PM
we use "Slimey Grimey" up here

takes off anything that may have attached itself to the bottom of the boat

good luck buddy

Shea... GOOD STUFF THAT GRIMEY- SLIMIE, WORKS BEST WHEN THE ITS 75 DREGEES + OUTSIDE. DISSOLVE THE SLIME (ACILLIC ACID) IN HOT WATER SO IT DISSOLVES BETTER... i USE A BUG SPRAYER. EASY-OFF DIF-FAT-N-LEY WILL REMOVE UN CLEARCOATED PAINT... :shocking:FAST:shocking::eek!::eek!::eek!::eek!::e ek!:

glashole
08-26-2008, 07:02 AM
I wouldn't have said it if it wasn't the lazy way of doing it

another thing that works awesome is "Super Iron out" (alot easier to get ahold of) put it in warm water and any small scum line will wipe off with a sponge

FISHIN SUCKS
08-26-2008, 07:02 AM
... , WORKS BEST WHEN THE ITS 75 DREGEES + OUTSIDE.
Then Shea can't use that stuff, it get's cold in Canada in the fall. Besides, isnt that when bus racing season starts:confused:?

Is this slimey grime safe on clear coat paint? Does anyone know what the factory reccomends? Mike (Trueser) and I talked about it and maybe a light waxing will work on the paint. I have not tried it yet, but I am into easy, just like that whore I almost picked up last week in Brazil:eek!:! Thanx again for the feedback everyone, looking forward to the winning combination,

tom

Tidbart
08-26-2008, 07:08 AM
I would use something that is made for boats.
http://www.boatersworld.com/product/176970499msk.htm
Roll-off works wonders. Spray on, let sit, I hit it with a light brush, crud rinses off with hose. Bio-degradeable, safe for boats.

Toilet bowl cleaner is for toilets
Oven cleaner (paint remover) is for ovens. This is what I used to remove the painted pinstripes from my boat.

Bob

Barry Eller
08-26-2008, 07:09 AM
Tom, stay off the paint with any harsh chemicals. Mask off the paint at the line where it meets the gel. Use your toilet bowl cleaner there only. Clean the paint with polish/cleaner designed for marine/automotive paints.

So...now YOU have a scum line! Dirty Boy!!!

ITTLFLI
08-26-2008, 07:34 AM
Slimey Grimey buddy! I do it 2x a yr. Safe on paint.

gcarter
08-26-2008, 10:00 AM
Ascetic acid (vinigar, I think Lime Away, and other things), phosphoric acid (Iron Out and various other products) are good for cleaning things that weak acids will desolve, hardness spots, iron stains, etc. Typically they won't harm paint, particularly modern two part paints.

Dr. Dan
08-26-2008, 10:32 AM
:smash: I think we have covered this once or twice...I also use Roll Off in the Bilge and on the Transom.... works great... For the Marina post Event nasty brown Deisel Fuel Marina pinstripe.

I use Meguiars - Hot Rims ALL WHEEL Cleaner, its safe for delicate coating of wheels I leave it on for maybe a minute and I scrub it with soap and water with the Boat Brush and its Jet White. I have a painted black trailer and I have had no issues with any random drips... Big Candy Apple Purple Spray bottle at your local auto parts or supply store.

Works great...

Good Luck Tommy!

Doc :wink:

ky-donzi
08-26-2008, 10:38 AM
I've been using Starbrite Hull cleaner. I works very well at getting grime off

I do have a question tho.... can you use it too much... does it have Harmful side effects?

seano
08-28-2008, 12:48 PM
I've been using muriatic acid from the local hardware store for years...

it's very causitc and you should not breathe the fumes, but it works like a charm. i've thinned it with water on occasion as well, but mostly use it straight...

BigGrizzly
08-28-2008, 04:48 PM
You aren't going to believe this but I have used all the above and Wink except Slimie Grimie . My personal favorite, not by much is Starbrite hull cleaner. Of corse on my hull anything will help. I am not a good by any means but Doc Air22 and Catch22 are.

Planetwarmer
08-28-2008, 10:46 PM
try vinegar, I use that on the pipes and it works great! It will also remove the white haze on the out drive.:shark: .59 for a bottle!

My grandma used to use vinegar to keep the hard water residue off the toilets at the ranch (vacation house) when we were gonna be away for and extended period of time. That worked great for that too!:happy_bi:

Air 22
08-30-2008, 06:10 PM
Hiring a good college age nannie to scrub and clean I find works best:biggrin::biggrin: ...all the splashing and soap/sudds really does wonders.......and is effortless to watch:pimp::yes:

catch 22
08-30-2008, 06:52 PM
Ascetic acid (vinigar, I think Lime Away, and other things), phosphoric acid (Iron Out and various other products) are good for cleaning things that weak acids will desolve, hardness spots, iron stains, etc. Typically they won't harm paint, particularly modern two part paints.
Any of the acid base product's work well, but if you have an aluminum trailer keep it off of it. It makes a hell of a mess.

harbormaster
08-30-2008, 07:00 PM
I want to know about the bang thing..... how do you do it?

Does the Acid create hrdrogen form the foil?

ky-donzi
08-30-2008, 09:01 PM
rip aluminum foil into small strips and add the acid. it will start a chemical reaction. When it starts to bubble cap the empty two litler bottle tight and run!!!!! The hydrogen gas will accumlate until it explodes the bottle. It takes a amazing amount of gas to brust a caped 2-liter bottle

MOP
08-30-2008, 09:48 PM
Back to cleaning the hull, I skipped through this thread. I did not notice Scot the HM's McGuires wheel cleaner, it does not bother paint and leaves the hull super clean. What it does do is spot the trailer like any other caustic agent, you must wet the trailer down prior using it. Would be great on a lift that would ease that spotting worry.

Phil

FISHIN SUCKS
09-01-2008, 07:22 AM
I appreciate all the input guys, thanx much! The boat will be setting on the aluminum trailer when I do this. We are heading up to the lake again today, and while she's been in the water two weeks now, she doesnt look to bad. We plan on leaving her in for another month and a half or so unless we pull out early and try to do a Chicago trip before the season ends. thanx again:wavey:,

tom

kramsay1234
09-01-2008, 04:01 PM
I happened to have the Mequiars Hot Rims in stock so I tried it out on the side of the hull on the white where it had some yellow/green scum. Masked the blue stripe to be safe and let it sit on there for a minute or so and then it just wiped off with some roll towel and soap. Very nice.

+1 for the Mequiars.

:smash: I think we have covered this once or twice...I also use Roll Off in the Bilge and on the Transom.... works great... For the Marina post Event nasty brown Deisel Fuel Marina pinstripe.

I use Meguiars - Hot Rims ALL WHEEL Cleaner, its safe for delicate coating of wheels I leave it on for maybe a minute and I scrub it with soap and water with the Boat Brush and its Jet White. I have a painted black trailer and I have had no issues with any random drips... Big Candy Apple Purple Spray bottle at your local auto parts or supply store.

Works great...

Good Luck Tommy!

Doc :wink:

brwn234
09-01-2008, 08:53 PM
I've used WestMarine Hull cleaner in a a spray bottle and it works great. I've also diluted LimeAway 1:1 with water. It works too, but not as fast. Now, how do I get it to stop coming back or at least slow the brown stain down. The bottom is not slick and almsot chalky in some places so I'm sure this is the big problem. I've tried just waxing, but that proved to be no help. I'm trying to avoid laying on my back wet sanding and buffing for hours on end.

VetteLT193
09-02-2008, 12:51 PM
I've used FSR for years, it's a blue gel. basically the same as the rest of the stuff (mild acid) but you can control where it goes, and more importantly where it doesn't go, because of the thickness. You put it on with a brush or sponge, wait a while, then hose it off.

I like it much more than the liquid acid cleaners because they go all over the place. I also like it because it is much more mild than the liquid cleaners so the discoloration doesn't seem to come back nearly as fast.

Cuda
09-02-2008, 01:04 PM
I've been using muriatic acid from the local hardware store for years...
it's very causitc and you should not breathe the fumes, but it works like a charm. i've thinned it with water on occasion as well, but mostly use it straight...
Muriatic acid WILL tarnish stainless steel. Don't ask me how I know. :( I knew it already, but I got a $1000 refresher course when someone that worked for me didn't belive it. :(

Cuda
09-02-2008, 01:11 PM
try vinegar, I use that on the pipes and it works great! It will also remove the white haze on the out drive.:shark: .59 for a bottle!

My grandma used to use vinegar to keep the hard water residue off the toilets at the ranch (vacation house) when we were gonna be away for and extended period of time. That worked great for that too!:happy_bi:
Vinegar is the weakest form of acetic acid you can buy. I've used it for years on new tile floors. NOTHING you can buy at Home Depot will make tile floor shine like vinegar,

And plantet warmer, why would you want to kick a opposum at 40? You could bruise the meat. Maybe an armadillo (possum on the half shell) would be ok.

Cuda
09-02-2008, 01:22 PM
For years, I kept a place at a fishcamp at the town of Suwannee, which as anyone can tell you, the water is so tanin stained, it looks like root beer. I'd launch my fishboat on Friday night, when I got there, and kept it in a covered wet slip until Sunday afternoon when I pulled it out of the water. The hull would be brown, and I'd just hit it with Sno Bowl, or whatever other toilet bowl cleaner was on sale (it all phosphoric acid no matter what the name on the side says), the rinse it off with water, and away I'd go. Granted, it was gel only, but I don't think it would have made a difference. I still have the boat, and I bought it new in 1988, and it still looks that way. I don't remeber it even tanishing the aluminum wheel fenders, and I'd go outside and check, but I replaced them several years back. None of that other stuff is necesarry to clean a stained hull. You could do more damage than good.

Cuda
09-02-2008, 01:26 PM
I would use something that is made for boats.
http://www.boatersworld.com/product/176970499msk.htm
Roll-off works wonders. Spray on, let sit, I hit it with a light brush, crud rinses off with hose. Bio-degradeable, safe for boats.

Toilet bowl cleaner is for toilets
Oven cleaner (paint remover) is for ovens. This is what I used to remove the painted pinstripes from my boat.

Bob
I've used EZ Off on two different bottom painted hulls. On one, it made it soft enough that you could wipe it off with a rag, provided you had enough rags, and didn't mind getting filhy,
The other hull I used it on, I ended up with very clean bottom paint.