PDA

View Full Version : E=MC^2...Brain food.

txtaz
08-25-2008, 10:19 AM
The thread about galvanic corrosion had got me thinking about stuff I had long forgotten. So I thought it would be fun to start a thread about science.

So was Albert Einstein's theory of relativity (E=MC^2) correct? Or do you think quantum physics is correct? String theory anyone? And how does it apply to you/us?

Einstein said that the faster a person moved, the slower time moved. So if one person had a boat that did 90mph and another did 60mph, would the person in the slower boat age faster?

Da Taz<---Yeah baby...look up binding energy per nucleon. I not a geek...NO really I'm not...OK the glasses make me look like one...OK and the pocket protector to. DONZI MARINE RULES!!!! did that work?

BlownCrewCab
08-25-2008, 10:29 AM
I think the person in the 90mph boat has risin his chances of death by 50% or more, whereas the 60mph person would lay there in pain longer wishing he was dead in the same accident. so going faster doesn't slow time down, when I'm done hauling azz across the lake my watch still says the same time everbody elses does. unless by me hauling across the lake slows time for everybody, which would mean If you all bought me a really fast boat you'd live longer.:yes:

zelatore
08-25-2008, 11:15 AM
Per the theory, you're watch would actually be slightly behind the watch of a person on a slower boat. It would just be such an insignificant amount given the tiny speed delta that you wouldn't be able to measure it.

You have to approach the speed of light to see any notable time difference.

And if I remember correctly, it's sort of logarithmic. i.e. there is almost no change at lower speeds, but the change increase faster the closer you get to the speed of light.

Then didn't it stipulate that if you somehow passed the speed of light you were traveling backward in time? Or was it more that you could never truly achieve the speed of light because time would stop?

I need an aspirin...or at least a double-shot espresso. My brain isn't up for this before lunch on a Monday morning.

txtaz
08-25-2008, 11:19 AM
my watch still says the same time everbody elses does.

Ahh good point. So did every one's watch slow down? Were they in your boat? And is the watch accurate enough and could we see a difference?

Einstein's theory is that the closer to the speed of light, you would need infinite energy and would have infinite mass. (boy don't answer your wife's question about these jeans).

Studies have shown that atomic clocks in orbit have actually lost time compared to ones on earth. Granted it took years to do. So was it a timing failure, gravity, speed or was Einstein right?

Da Taz<---I'm supposed to say I'm an Astronaught...right Jerry???

Last Tango
08-25-2008, 11:22 AM
Can anyone who actually is reading this thread with interest please give the names of all 11 dimensions and how they interact?
E=MC^2 works even better now that we have the acceptance of the existance of Dark Matter to explain a whiole lot of missing mass in the universe.

zelatore
08-25-2008, 11:52 AM
Can anyone who actually is reading this thread with interest please give the names of all 11 dimensions and how they interact?
E=MC^2 works even better now that we have the acceptance of the existance of Dark Matter to explain a whiole lot of missing mass in the universe.

nope.

I'm more worried about why a guy who's avatar is a talking blue M&M is starting a discussion of theoretical physics. :eek!:

Here's one for you. I've wondered before (and I'm sure somebody has the answer) what is the reference point for speed measurement? Everything is moving. The earth is spinning and moving around the sun which is moving within our galaxy which is moving within the universe...

So even at the molecular level, an orbiting electron would be moving faster in one direction than the other; not relative to the center of the atom but in the bigger scheme of things, right?

Paging Steven Hawking....Dr. Hawking, you have a call!

txtaz
08-25-2008, 02:43 PM
nope.
I'm more worried about why a guy who's avatar is a talking blue M&M is starting a discussion of theoretical physics. :eek!:

Hey the talking blue M&M did many years of college. So far three degrees and countless certificates and still going.:doh: His Red and Green M&M parents wishes he had graduated just once. Rumor has it, Blue may just go for his PhD.

So even at the molecular level, an orbiting electron would be moving faster in one direction than the other; not relative to the center of the atom but in the bigger scheme of things, right?

Hymmm, good question and no on a bigger scale absolute speed of the electron would not be different. Since the electron orbits in circles, faster on one half cycle would cancel out the slower half cycle. So the average speed would be the same. However, you can say the max speed of the electron is greater.

Da Taz<---My other avitar is a Mercedes

txtaz
08-25-2008, 04:40 PM
Somehow I see this ending up in the rubber duckies, errr, politics section....

So what exactly is the air speed of an unladen rubber duckie, ehr I mean swallow?

Da Taz<---She turned me into a knewdt, I got better.

zelatore
08-25-2008, 04:51 PM
So what exactly is the air speed of an unladen rubber duckie, ehr I mean swallow?

You know you're going down hill fast when people start paraphrasing Python...:doh:

txtaz
08-25-2008, 05:25 PM
You know you're going down hill fast when people start paraphrasing Python...:doh:

OK, now that's just going to far. Monty Python is an icon, at least the movies were.

I actually wrote a program in the "Search for the Holy Grail" theme and entered it into the Nationl Obfuscation Competition(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obfuscation. I didn't win, it made too much sense....Boy that says something about us.

Also, I was thinking about your idea of electron speed. If in relativity that an electron were to travel at a faster pace in one half on it's orbit, could we then create a warble atom? And if so, could we warble it enough to break apart? (fission without nuetrons)

Da Taz<---Yep, working on a marine warble engine. Big oil can kiss my warbly A$%^.

zelatore
08-25-2008, 07:03 PM
See, I actually wrote a fairly long-winded reply about how this might work and how it might just release an electron, etc, then tried to tie in basic laser principals and involve photons....then my PC locked up and l lost it all.

Clearly, I'm not ment to continue this discussion. Or if I do, I'll need some herbal medication to lubricate the thought process....

(this is San Francisco you know :wink:)

txtaz
08-25-2008, 07:51 PM
See, I actually wrote a fairly long-winded reply about how this might work and how it might just release an electron, etc, then tried to tie in basic laser principals and involve photons....then my PC locked up and l lost it all.
Clearly, I'm not ment to continue this discussion. Or if I do, I'll need some herbal medication to lubricate the thought process....
(this is San Francisco you know :wink:)

Damn lost electrons :smash:

Has anyone noticed that electrons are moving slower and slower?

The digital age, electron highways are getting clogged. So would a warble atom help?

Da Taz<---Inventor of the warbled web with rubber duckies. Man this cow keeps giving milk.

BlownCrewCab
08-25-2008, 08:16 PM

(this is San Francisco you know :wink:)[/quote]

Yeah, well what about your short term memory????

I thought these days satallite tracking compared your SOG to a reference point pointing to the center of the earth. So the spinning earth wouldn't have an effect.

txtaz
08-25-2008, 09:39 PM
I thought these days satallite tracking compared your SOG to a reference point pointing to the center of the earth. So the spinning earth wouldn't have an effect.

I think his idea was bigger than just the earth. However if you consider the same concepts applied to the solar system, or our universe, the result would be the same.

I'm not sure about SOG reference. I do know about magnetic reference and the point of origin. Magnetic vs actual and the place where large matallic structures are built and how to make them magneticly invisible. "Degausing"

Ohhh, come on Don, a good mental discussion is good. Don't bail on me for ale.

Da Taz<---Ale!!! Did someone say Ale. Damn I forgot, I don't drink.

Glenora
08-25-2008, 09:55 PM
The thread about galvanic corrosion had got me thinking about stuff I had long forgotten. So I thought it would be fun to start a thread about science.

So was Albert Einstein's theory of relativity (E=MC^2) correct? Or do you think quantum physics is correct? String theory anyone? And how does it apply to you/us?

Einstein said that the faster a person moved, the slower time moved. So if one person had a boat that did 90mph and another did 60mph, would the person in the slower boat age faster?

Da Taz<---Yeah baby...look up binding energy per nucleon. I not a geek...NO really I'm not...OK the glasses make me look like one...OK and the pocket protector to. DONZI MARINE RULES!!!! did that work?

Okay...
Here is my brain fart.
A few weeks ago, I took my buddy out for a ride in the new Donzi. Rain started to come down, so I put the hammer down and rushed for cover. My buddy said the sting of the rain on his face was a killer at 60 mph! When the rain stopped, I brought him back to the dock and his pal said that the 60 MPH rain on his face was nothing compared to the time he was parachuting in the rain. At 180 lbs, jumping out of an airplane, flying to the ground at 120mph, the rain in his face was brutal...

Hmmmm? If he weighs 180lbs and jumps out of a plane, in the rain... How fast is the rain falling? Is the rain not falling at a fast speed also? How fast? The rain would have to fall at 60 mph for it to hit him in the face at 60 mph. Right? I suck at science...

Is driving in a Donzi @ 60MPH in the rain more painful than a parachuter falling in the rain with raindrops falling at a similar or slightly slower speed?

Someone tell me the answer to this complex velocity question....

onesubdrvr
08-25-2008, 09:57 PM
Is driving in a Donzi @ 60MPH in the rain more painful than a parachuter falling in the rain with raindrops falling at a similar or slightly slower speed?

Someone tell me the answer to this complex velocity question....
Only if the parachute doesn't open ;)

Wayne

txtaz
08-25-2008, 10:13 PM
Only if the parachute doesn't open ;)

Wayne

Oh great, now we are on to gravity. I suck at gravity especially when I've been drinking.

I think the force is 14.2 lbs per square inch. So if you are six foot tall, 180lbs, been drinking and fall over, it will hurt.

Da Taz<---Who in thier right mind would jump out of a perfectly good plane.

onesubdrvr
08-25-2008, 10:33 PM
To try to honestly answer the question, the largest raindrop in a heavy rain has a terminal velocity of 20.2mph http://www.shorstmeyer.com/wxfaqs/float/rdtable.html

While a skydiver with a close chute has a terminal velocity of approx 120mph (depending on size, and "fall" style)
http://hypertextbook.com/facts/JianHuang.shtml

which means the rain was hitting your buddies face at about 100 mph, so I imagine that would hurt more than the 60 of the Donzi,....

HOWEVER, As Wes stated, if you're not so smart as to jump out of a perfectly good plane, maybe you deserve it,

and if you are lucky enough to own a donzi, maybe you're lucky enough to not let the rain hurt you.

I think this goes to Einsteins relativity - Jumping out of a good plane, rain in face bad,..... enjoying a day in the donzi - rain in face not so bad - it's all relative

:doh::)

Wayne

Glenora
08-26-2008, 05:16 AM
I think this goes to Einsteins relativity - Jumping out of a good plane, rain in face bad,..... enjoying a day in the donzi - rain in face not so bad - it's all relative

:doh::)

Wayne[/quote]

Wow! That sure answered my question!

A bad day in a Donzi is better than a good day jumping out of a plane...

txtaz
08-26-2008, 08:39 AM
HOWEVER, As Wes stated, if you're not so smart as to jump out of a perfectly good plane, maybe you deserve it,

Wayne

Let's not be too judgmental here. Some of us sink perfectly good boats.

Da Taz<---OneSubDriver, What's my depth? Anyone up for a test emergency surface?