PDA

View Full Version : Fuel vent stains!

MOP
08-21-2008, 03:34 PM
There was a thread awhile back about the tank dumping fuel out of the vent on hot days. I like many others had the streak on the hull side and a stain on the cover. It was bugging the heck out of me so I did a bit of experimenting on the last three fill ups. I fuel at the station so when I get home and jack the tongue up everything seems Ok, but after a cool night and then a hot day the fuel dribbling out staining the hull, cover and also softening my black top. I have found a cure that works! I loosen the cap just enough to unseat the Oring which allows it to equalize the change in pressure due to the change in temp, I have not had 1 drop since I started to do this. I did not post this until I had done the three fill ups to really make sure it works! I am sure the Doom Sayers will say if it rains you will get water in the tank, first off the cap is only slightly loose and the fitting is raised above the deck. I am also pulling my fuel filters every 8-10 hours to monitor any possible water ingestion, so far I am showing -0- water in the cans on either tank believe me I have blown some fuel through close to 600 miles in three weekends of Donzi fun. Now to get the old stain out of my full cover!!!

Phil

joseph m. hahnl
08-21-2008, 07:29 PM
Wow!!! :eek!: A full tank ! :drive:
I haven't had one of those all summer :bawling:!!!!!

MOP
08-22-2008, 06:35 AM
Wow!!! :eek!: A full tank ! :drive:
I haven't had one of those all summer :bawling:!!!!!

Bummer! I have blown through a few tanks and hope to do in several more.

Firehawk853
08-22-2008, 07:09 AM
I've had good luck with Spray Nine for the hull for fuel stains, have to let it sit for a couple minutes. Never tried it on the fuel cover.