PDA

View Full Version : Steering issue 18 classic

schem
08-21-2008, 12:25 PM
Hi everyone,

I have a problem I need some help with before I start to tear everything apart. I have a 1989 Classic 18. This is one of the OMC boats with the OMC Cobra outdrive. This boat has a cable that goes back to a power steering control valve. The problem I have is that I was turning the wheel to straighten out the outdrive without the engine running and the wheel turned hard like it normally does but then spun free. The wheel would turn in both directions with little effort and not move the outdrive. I looked under the dash and found that the cable was still moving back and forth so it was not a stripped gear in the helm. I originally thought I snapped the cable but after messing with it I found that if I worked the outdrive to the center position I could turn the wheel to the left and the outdrive would move. This is a pull on the cable so it must not be snapped.

My thought is that the cable is crimped to the rod that is connected to the out drive and I pulled it out.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
Bill

MOP
08-21-2008, 03:46 PM
First off when was the last time it had a grease gun put to the works?? The pivots can cause it to be tough, the upper and lower pivots usually cause this. I have seen both the side and steering pivots so bad it would not trim and tilt or steer! The cable is a push/pull Teleflex if it has parted it will only push the drive into a right turn and will not pull it back, if yours is pulling back start greasing all the fittings. Once it starts to move grease them again to flush out any residue.

Phil

Lenny
08-21-2008, 08:15 PM
The cable is a push/pull Teleflex, if it has parted it will only push the drive into a right turn and will not pull it back, if yours is pulling back start greasing all the fittings. Once it starts to move grease them again to flush out any residue.
Phil

Teleflex does not have any grease point (of 70's-80's vintage) Time to get a Sea Star or similar from UFlex with the planetary gear set up.

MOP
08-22-2008, 06:30 AM
Teleflex does not have any grease point (of 70's-80's vintage) Time to get a Sea Star or similar from UFlex with the planetary gear set up.

Len Tflex has never had a fitting. The fittings are all related to the gimble/pivots and shuttle valve though I don't think he has a shuttle valve issue. I have seen the pivots so tight that the trim would not go down until added force was applied. I am waiting to see just how bad the new Merc stuff gets since they eliminated the gimble and pivot fittings, many of us know about the tiller arms seal/shaft demise due to that fitting being removed. Merc saved spit but did manage to nearly or sink a few unattended boat, they are super at planned obsolescence!!!!!

schem
08-22-2008, 08:43 AM
I think what generated the problem was that I had the outdrive up and the to the left. I think I would have been fine if the outdrive was down. I can move the outdrive and inch or two by hand with ease. I don't feel binding at all.

One other thinking, I can turn the wheel (in the push direction of the cable) all the way to actually push the cable out of the helm. Or at least to the point the cable is past the the gear. If I unscrew the cable housing I can remove the cable. I can then grap the cable with a rag and pull the cable out by hand about a foot and then it stops.

schem
09-04-2008, 01:29 PM
Pulled the cable out over the weekend and found the problem. The out case has been rubbing on something and wore to the point the inner cable came through the casing.

The Cable is a Morse 304411 / 168". I have been told that it is discontinued from Teleflex and I have to buy a new unit with helm. Is there a Teleflex cable that I can use or will I have to buy the whole unit? Has anyone done this before? Is the whole unit a direct bolt in or can I expect to have problems?

Thanks,

Lenny
09-04-2008, 01:44 PM
Seems to list a replacement on this site. Scroll down to "identify the steering on your boat, then scroll into next page for the suggested replacement...

http://www.teleflexmarine.com/library/marinedirectory/TMTechCat-MechStrg(v4_0)Steering%20Identification%20Guide.pd f