PDA

View Full Version : Donzi 16' Outboard Questions by New Owner

AndyDiSario
08-21-2008, 11:58 AM
Donzi 16 Outboard
Hello,

Please pardon the following duplicates an append I had placed in a prior thread, named "H.P. for 16' Donzi O/B."

-------------------------------------------

I am a new owner of a 1972 Donzi Sweet 16 Classic with a Johnson 150 HP Outboard. I live in So. FL, and I have not taken delivery yet, with the boat coming from NJ. I have 18.5 years power-boating experience (mostly high-performance PWC and one 120 HP Stingray bowrider). I am new to Donzi ownership.

I appreciate any advice about owning this Donzi model. Pointers based on real experience and lessons learned from a real owner would be best, if possible.

First initial questions follow. I am nowhere yet ready to implement these items, but am curious as hell.

Q1: How much outboard HP (and weight) can be installed onto the Sweet 16 hull?

Q2: If necessary, can the transom be reinforced for more strength to handle more power?

Q3: What are the physical limits of this boat, say when running WOT in flat water: hull strength, handling, porpoising, keeping the boat in the water, etc?

Q4: Thus, what top-speed is attainable with maximum power and how do I get there from here?

Q5: What other general advice about the Sweet 16 can people share? What hard-earned lessons have you learned? I am very interested in safety, usability, ergonomics, maintenance, etc., in addition to the performance questions.

Thanks in advance for any seasoned advice. Regards,
Andy DiSario
11351 Lake Tree Ct.
Boca Raton, FL 33498
561-479-0578

HIGH LIFE
08-21-2008, 07:09 PM
Hi Andy, I just bought one in June. Had a 175 Merc on it, replaced w/ 200 h.p. Merc. Added a plate on transom, 1/8" stainless steel,new controls,and rigging, painted new red stripe & waterline w/ silver edge. Haven't had time to water test yet ( to busy w/ my 27' MAGNUM w/ twin 300 Pro Max's ) email at mspirito2019@comcast.net......I live south of Boston,Ma. Michael

Greg Guimond
08-29-2008, 11:06 AM
Hi Andy,

I purchased the same Donzi 16 O/B and have been fiddling around with it. Ironically, I just sent Big Grizzly a note about purchasing a prop from him. I don't come to this forum often but I have to believe there are more than a few folks with 16 O/B hulls out there that can give you some solid information, far more than I can. We have a Promax 225 hung on the back of the boat currently. I think you bought the 16 O/B that was in New Jersey, which seemed to be a great refinish on a well cared for hull.

Greg

ps: Anyone who has a 16 O/B can contact me directly