PDA

View Full Version : Good Great Lakes Run Today.........

Carl C
08-18-2008, 08:56 PM
Mostly on connecting waters though. Lake St. Clair was acting up with stead 2-3 footers so we gave up and decided to run the Harsen's Island channels for awhile so we headed up the Middle Channel which leads to the St. Clair River. The river varied from 3 footers to some nice stretches of 1 foot chop so when we got to Marine City we decided to make the run to Lake Huron. This is a 40+ mile run from where we launched (Metro Beach). I didn't start taking pics until we were near Lake Huron. Here's the Bluewater Bridge to Canada (I was back and forth over the border all day). Then I took some pics of Fort Gratiot Light. It was built in stages between 1829 and 1875 but since most of the original structure remains it is considered Michigan's oldest surviving lighthouse. Then we headed out onto Lake Huron. Here is a pic of a modern light that marks the entrance to the channel leading into the St. Clair River. We went about 15 miles into the big lake but it turned into 4 footers breaking over the bow so we made like shepherds (got the flock out of there):shocking:. I stopped to take some pics of the historic lightship "Huron". It served from 1921 to 1971 and is now a museum in Port Huron, Michigan. Even though it is called Huron it served most of it's life in northern Lake Michigan. I also stopped to take a pic of a modern light at Marine City (I like lights, what can I say). Anyway, after a stop for gas we ripped back to Harsen's Island, thrashing a Baja along the way:smash:. We ripped down the Middle Channel to Brown's Bar for a well deserved brewski. Here I am at Brown's. Who's that leaving in the 18? Sure sounded good! After heading back out onto Lake St. Clair it was still pretty bad so we called it a day. First I was disappointed that I couldn't take my new victim down to Detroit but we ended up making the run north to Lake Huron which I've been wanting to do. Sorry for the long post but I wanted to share an excellent day. Oh, if anyone wonders, todays best was 76.3 on a hot and steamy day. Not bad; I like my new shorty.

Ranman
08-19-2008, 08:10 AM
We were on the Formula all day yesterday in Poor Man's Bay which is a shallow, sandy area between Belle Maer Harbor and MacRay Harbor in Anchor Bay.

The yellow 18 is Keith (Donzified), a regular fixture at Browns.

Here's what Brown's looked like Saturday Night...
http://themoot.net/upload/monthly_08_2008/post-45-1218980892.jpg

olredalert
08-19-2008, 08:43 AM
--------Yur killing me, Randy!!! Remember, there are old guys on here with weak hearts. Get the defibulater!!!!!!!!!!

--------Yup,,,Thats Keith. Look for water and beer (Im not sure in which order) and Keith will magicly appear. Hes a real good DONZI guy, and lives to be on the water.........Bill S

Ranman
08-19-2008, 09:08 AM
Oh. So I should tone it down a bit?

http://themoot.net/upload/monthly_08_2008/post-45-1219015467.jpg

Carl C
08-19-2008, 09:09 AM
Great pic. Brown's is rowdy even on a monday; I can only imagine it on the week-end. It's the ultimate "dive" and I love it. I think you could spend a lifetime exploring the waters around Lake St. Clair but you'd better be careful. I was using my paper charts and new chartplotter to stay out of trouble, as in shallow water.

Hmm, another pic popped up. It looks like that third girl wants in on the fun.

Last Tango
08-19-2008, 12:52 PM
Drat! Apparantly some censor person has taken over the pix you posted after the first batch.