PDA

View Full Version : Trailer winch OUCH

Trueser
08-15-2008, 10:19 AM
Well about a month ago I was hooking up the safety chain on the 28. When the handle let go and swung around and cracked the top of my left hand. After stopping the blood and finishing up the boat we headed back to the cottage. I didn’t want to bring the 28 to the hospital. Ended up a Hackley hospital and they said that I chipped my center bone and didn’t think I needed a cast. :smash: Three weeks later it still hurts and real swollen. So off to the orthopedic doctor for a second opinion. He looks it over and tells me I'm missing the center tendon, and I will need surgery. So I'm stuck with a cast for three weeks or more. And no left hand for the steering wheel.

The trailer has since been repaired and no longer has tension on the bow.

Watch out for those winches…….
:shocking:

kramsay1234
08-15-2008, 12:09 PM
Damn winches...If you are so p1ssed off that you want to just give the 28 away to someone, I will gladly come down and take it. With or without a winch.:wink:

mrfixxall
08-15-2008, 01:04 PM
I have the two speed winch on my trailer:doh: the handle either comes off or gets put into the nutral position after use..thanx for the warning tho..

I hope your hand heals ok :)

widowmaker
08-15-2008, 03:54 PM
I had an uncle who is now dearly departed who was a surgeon. He suffered a similar injury hauling a boat onto a trailer about 50+ years ago. You're lucky because his left hand became virtually useless thereafter. Good thing that he was an accomplished "right hand surgeon." He continued to enjoy surgery, boats and boating for the years following.

DonziJon
08-15-2008, 06:52 PM
A couple of years ago I had a run in with my trailer winch. The Minx was almost up to the chock when..for some reason, the latch released and the boat started rolling back toward the water. The winch handle was spinning like hell.....I reached for it..Whack Whack Whack. The boat landed on it's butt in the sand at the ramp. No damage to the boat. I was able to haul the boat back onto the trailer using the winch and...gently pushing back on the boat with the trailer/truck.

My hand was FAT and Painful for a few days after that. I was lucky. No permanent damage and no doctors visit.

Lessons learned: Don't try to stop a runaway winch. :doh: John

DonziFreak
08-15-2008, 07:43 PM

Or a runaway boat.......still hurts from time to time....

Trueser
08-15-2008, 08:48 PM
Once those winch handles get a taste for blood, they will come back again and again and again.. You should consider yourself lucky that you have good friends that can recognize the omen, and forewarn you that it's time to get rid of the possessed boat and trailer. :nilly: :nilly:
Much like Ghostbusters, I offer up a "de-posessing" service for boats. I'll send a truck after it shortly to protect you. Please sign the title and leave it in the glovebox, it is a necessary part of the ceremony...

HMMMM. I need another pain pill. I should have let you drive in Detroit, but was worried that the tower may object. Never mess with your navigator.

You are welcome to driver her anytime.

I should have the cast off by Labor day weekend,

roadtrip se
08-15-2008, 10:28 PM
Suggested agenda for MP:

Fly up to Detroit.

Blast around on some big water on Lake Michigan.

We eat good that night. Maybe a good microbrew too, or three.

Realize, that anyone who runs the Biscayne needs a little more hull.

Fly to Jax, demo the Scorpion boat there, and start working on the story for the next additon to the herd.

Problem solved.

Mike, we are back in Michigan starting next week and though the 8th.
You get the itch to get out, call the A-team. We'll get you on the water and have a ball.
Navigator can check us out and will soon realize, things are under complete control.

Maybe MP will show. In the meantime, take it slow.

RedDog
08-18-2008, 04:12 PM
I saw that happen to my brother a few years ago - except the handle hit his head. It was at Chincoteage VA and he had to get the 1 local doctor to leave the community beer and crab boil to staple it up. That night when we went to dinner, it was amazing how fast we got a table - his entire head was wrapped in gauze.

chappy
08-18-2008, 04:58 PM
Life is funny, I was pulling the boat yesterday, hooking up the safety chain, with wet hands. Guess what happened? The top of my right hand is now swollen like a boxers eye after a beat down. I didn't even see this thread until now. Thankfully, I only have an 18. At least one good thing came out of it, after I got the bleeding to stop, my nautically ignorant, brilliant neighbor told me to be more careful, thanks dude..............:boggled:. But at least his hand wasn't bleeding.

cutwater
08-18-2008, 05:18 PM
It's an epidemic!

BigGrizzly
08-18-2008, 05:27 PM
Sorry it happens to the best. I have even seen a guy try to stop it from spinning, he lost too.

Trueser
08-18-2008, 06:16 PM
Life is funny, I was pulling the boat yesterday, hooking up the safety chain, with wet hands. Guess what happened? The top of my right hand is now swollen like a boxers eye after a beat down. I didn't even see this thread until now. Thankfully, I only have an 18. At least one good thing came out of it, after I got the bleeding to stop, my nautically ignorant, brilliant neighbor told me to be more careful, thanks dude..............:boggled:. But at least his hand wasn't bleeding.

Funny???
I went home and the hospital sent me home with a swollen hand. Three to four weeks later it still hurt. You may want to look at those tendons closely. All my fingers worked just fine.

I feel your pain....
:smash:

MOP
08-18-2008, 09:20 PM
Just got to read this sorry for your plight, hope it heals well and quickly!

Phil

kramsay1234
08-18-2008, 10:35 PM
now thats a funny read! Not to make light of the pain, but the Whack Whack Whack just paints a hilarious picture.

A couple of years ago I had a run in with my trailer winch. The Minx was almost up to the chock when..for some reason, the latch released and the boat started rolling back toward the water. The winch handle was spinning like hell.....I reached for it..Whack Whack Whack. The boat landed on it's butt in the sand at the ramp. No damage to the boat. I was able to haul the boat back onto the trailer using the winch and...gently pushing back on the boat with the trailer/truck.

My hand was FAT and Painful for a few days after that. I was lucky. No permanent damage and no doctors visit.

FISHIN SUCKS
08-19-2008, 08:21 PM
Well this might explain why you didn't called me back last week, Mike. TEN bunks on that trailer and you don't have a power winch????? And I thought you were upscale! I'm just bustin' your blueberries buddy:tase:, hope you get better soon.

ps. yes, we are back on plane as of last saturday afternoon:yes: