PDA

View Full Version : Olympics......

Donziweasel
08-13-2008, 06:33 PM
Since no one had started a thread on the Olympics, I guess I will. I admit, I am an Olymipcsholic. Growing up in Atlanta, I got to go to the Olympics in 1996. I went again to Salt Lake City in 2002. I can not tell you how amazing it is to attend an Olympics. Worse hangover I ever had was trying to drink with some Germans in SLC. Boo Boo and I have been watching every night and enjoying Phelps's domination. Come on, the relay where the US swimmers beat the French who had bad mouthed them? Does it get any better?

I have never been a fan of China and these Olympics are making me less of one. 8 years ago when they got the Olympics, they promised clean air, unrestricted freedom to reporters, change, etc... So far, the air is terrible, reporters have been arrested and beaten (2 Japanese reporters), have had the internet restricted to them, etc... Not only that, the computer generated fireworks at the opening, the little girl who lipsynched because the little girl singing was too ugly to put in the opening ceremonies according to officails, and finally, the womens gymnastics who are obviously under the minnumum age of 16 and took the gold beating the US.

I know the Olympics aren't for eveyone, but I am really disappointed in the way China has approached the 2008 games. This was a chance to prove to the world that an oppressive and communist regime could show the world that it can be a responisble superpower and is changing. Stories of how thier atheletes are chosen at age 3 and immediatly begin training piss me off. They get to see their parents once a year for a few days. I feel that China wanted such a sqeaky clean Olympics, they kinda missed the whole point. Oh well, I will still watch and cheer on the US.

2012 is in London, but 2016 is between Tokyo, Madrid, Chicago and Rio De Janerio. I hope Chicago wins it. It makes a city new and modern and all of you midwest Donzi guys are in for a treat if they get it. I think they actually have a shot. Rio has too much crime and might not have enough money, Spain had Barcelona in 1992, and Tokyo has already hosted an Olympics in 1964. BTW, the cost of putting on an Olympics- More than 40 billion dollars. Go US and Go Chicago!

justleft
08-13-2008, 07:38 PM
Maybe it's just me but the coverage sucks.

It's 2 minutes of competition, 5 minutes of commentary, and the 7 minutes
of commercial. Repeat.

I can't even find when my favorites sports will be shown and that's with the
extra channels on DirectTV.

p729lws
08-13-2008, 09:26 PM
Why do we only have one girls beach volleyball team??? And there could be more coverage of the girls swim team in the shower / hot tub :cool:

Ed Donnelly
08-13-2008, 09:38 PM
Canada is just 29 medals behind the U.S.A.

I guess we are slow starters.........Ed

hardcrab
08-13-2008, 09:43 PM
Here's another one for ya' Ed .................. :superman:

gold-n-rod
08-13-2008, 09:45 PM
Why do we only have one girls beach volleyball team??? And there could be more coverage of the girls swim team in the shower / hot tub :cool:

How 'bout this? http://www.nbcolympics.com/photos/galleryid=122861.html

numnumnumnumnumnumnum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DonziFreak
08-13-2008, 10:05 PM

Hahahaha....nice find :biggrin.:

p729lws
08-14-2008, 02:27 PM

Perfect! I've been trying to crack (no pun intended) the code without much success but I'll keep trying:wink:

Dan

Donziweasel
08-14-2008, 03:29 PM
Hey, don't mess with Misty May and Walsh!:wink: They are 3-0 and are going to win the gold. Plus, they ain't too hard on the eyes either!