PDA

View Full Version : HELP !!!!!!! Morse throttle cable broke on X-18

Lenny
08-12-2008, 01:53 PM
How do I get the throttle/shifter (MORSE, original) out from the deck ??? WITHOUT removing the deck. ???

I just hooked up the throttle and it was stiff, (revving it) now it is broken... :(

I need this fixed FAST.

glashole
08-12-2008, 02:13 PM
something important riding on it??

The Hedgehog
08-12-2008, 02:37 PM
From what I remember you it is best to take out the front seat. That will give you some room crouch/lay down next to the dash and reach around the back of the throttle to unbolt it. Be very careful not to drop anything. I wish that I was at the house and could take a couple of pics of my morse so you can see what you need to do.

It is kind of a pita. My Livorsi hooks up from the front. Nice and functional but not near as cool looking as the old Morse.

mrfixxall
08-12-2008, 02:47 PM
How do I get the throttle/shifter (MORSE, original) out from the deck ??? WITHOUT removing the deck. ???
I just hooked up the throttle and it was stiff, (revving it) now it is broken... :(
I need this fixed FAST.

Lenny if you have the old style like i do on the x ? mine comes loose once in a whyle from where the cable bolts to the bracket that bolts to the pull knob to put it in nutral..just tighten the 7/16 bolt from under ther foot compartment,,you have to remove the sear and reach around and feel for it..and or poke your head in their and take a look,most cases it just loosens up.

If its a broken cable remove the F N R lever and unscrew (allen set screw on the bottom)the 3 straight slot screws and the assembly will fall into the hull and pull the cables back through the engine compartment as one assembly..

DonziJon
08-12-2008, 05:59 PM
something important riding on it??

Could be a bad omen.

Lenny
08-12-2008, 06:34 PM
So, I mamaged to place the camera in there to get a few pics. There is NO way you can ever see this with one eye. It is a feel thing.
So with the camera in one hand and another one free I managed to release the pin at top where it joins the pivot arm. Pulled the cable off of the arm. Now, I am going to try and undo this cable clamp (bottom of page) and it should be free. Thank goodness it is this cable and not the shifter.
As you can see, there is no way to get this thing apart without undoing everything. Then you would never get it back together :(
This is a hull off/deck thingy for sure.
"Nice design " :rolleyes:

The Hedgehog
08-12-2008, 07:11 PM
So, I mamaged to place the camera in there to get a few pics. There is NO way you can ever see this with one eye. It is a feel thing.
So with the camera in one hand and another one free I managed to release the pin at top where it joins the pivot arm. Pulled the cable off of the arm. Now, I am going to try and undo this cable clamp (bottom of page) and it should be free. Thank goodness it is this cable and not the shifter.
As you can see, there is no way to get this thing apart without undoing everything. Then you would never get it back together :(
This is a hull off/deck thingy for sure.
"Nice design " :rolleyes:

Oh you can see it with your eyes. Even a Hedgehog can do that. A headlamp is a must. Just don't try to get your head and two arms around there. You can get stuck!:hangum: Just ask the guy who installed a bow lifting eye mount under the deck of an X-18 on a hot Tennessee afternoon.

Oh yeah, I am glad that I did not have a seat base in.

Lenny
08-12-2008, 07:37 PM
So, obviously this is a problem.

I need about 6" longer arms or someone from Snap-On to redesign their entire portfolio. Definately going to replace the one screw I could (barely) reach even after 2 hours and only 1/4" of thread :mad: :bonk: with something of a hex head variety.

NOW, who makes these cables???

Volvo, Teleflex, Morse (defunct) ???

vonkamp
08-12-2008, 07:59 PM
I'll check to see if I have one in the am. If I got an extra, you can have it.

Conquistador_del_mar
08-12-2008, 08:39 PM
So, obviously this is a problem.

I need about 6" longer arms or someone from Snap-On to redesign their entire portfolio. Definately going to replace the one screw I could (barely) reach even after 2 hours and only 1/4" of thread :mad: :bonk: with something of a hex head variety.

NOW, who makes these cables???

Volvo, Teleflex, Morse (defunct) ???

Like Madpoodle mentioned, you want a 33C cable. They are made by a few manufacturers. See if you have the cable length stamped on yours. Here is one place to get them. Bill
http://shopping.rexmar.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=tele33c

mrfixxall
08-12-2008, 08:56 PM
Get the red 33c,ss inside and out..

Lenny
08-12-2008, 08:59 PM
Every DONZI with a foot throttle modifiication was JUST explained to me...
grrrrrrrrrrr
Who thinks of using stuff like this ??? :bonk:

ohhh, you need a new shift cable...... we'll just separate the hull and deck :shocking: Cable is about $30 bucks, the "other" will be about $3000.

BigGrizzly
08-13-2008, 10:02 AM
That cable is the most common available. I personally like the Teleflex extreme 33c.

Bob
08-17-2008, 10:24 PM
I bought a used morse on ebay just so I would know how to take mine apart.