PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys think?

DonziFreak
08-12-2008, 07:22 AM
I'm in the middle of making a very tough decision as to what I want to do lately, so I felt like asking you guys what ya'll think.

It's between racing my boat on only a partial schedule, selling my boat and buying a 22, or keeping the boat and restoring the 18...one way or the other the 18 was going to b restored eventualy, but if I were to purchase a 22, the restoration was gonna be pushed back.

I've got some thoughts as to what I may do, but I'm always open for opinions.

BlownCrewCab
08-12-2008, 08:42 AM
I never raced tunnel boats But for 4+ years I did race offshore (about every race in the country, other than Cali thats too far). Then when I stopped racing and started enjoying just going to the lake in my 18' I realized. 1) I saved $1000.00+ dollars per weekend. 2) I didn't have to drive 1000+ Miles and back. 3) I felt fine on monday. 4) I could go to the Lake, go fast, jump waves, Stop & BS for a while then Go fast, jump waves and have fun and be HOME The same day. I agree being suited up in a helmet and jacket, flying across the water is the thrill of a lifetime (everyone should try it atleast once) But it's expensive, sometimes requires driving 20+ hours so you can race for 2hours (tops) then drive back. I guess I'm getting old, But I enjoy my time around home more now.

olredalert
08-12-2008, 09:20 AM
------BlownCC has much the same thoughts as I did when I was drag racing. I was on my back in the dirt in the pits one day changing out a VERY HOT torque-converter trying to think good thoughts. Suddenly, I realized that I would be a whole bunch happier out on a DONZI. No more travelling, no more bad food, no more breakage (relatively speaking), just sunshine and fun. I do miss the thrill, but Im OK with it more every time I start that second motor and hear the thru-hull exhaust........Bill S

MOP
08-13-2008, 12:14 PM
I have to agree with Bill, I did the drag scene for about 8 years. There still are things I miss, what I do not miss mirrors Bill's comments. It was a bunch nicer having a pocket full of $$ rather then shedding it for fuel and parts, having more time and deeper pockets sure pumped up the time and fun with the gals.

Phil

DonziFreak
08-13-2008, 08:42 PM
It's hard for me because I grew up into racing, as long as I remember my family has been racing. I'm actualy a third generation racer!

As far as the money goes, with prize money and sponsorship, I break even with about every race we go to. But the time used is really hard to forget about, after all, time is the only thing you can never get back....well, that and youth!

No matter what, my family will continue to race, so....

sweet 16 1966
08-13-2008, 09:23 PM
All I know is I have enjoyed my 22 since i bought it in late Feb. Nothing like sharing the WOT experience with good friends. I hope you can find a way.
Racing... you sure are close to making money...

yeller
08-14-2008, 12:06 AM
When I quit racing motocross, I thought I'd miss it much more than I did. It was nice to go out riding and not worry about practicing.

My suggestion is quit racing, but buy something more related to your race boat than a 22 and restore the 18. Then you'll have a 'race type' boat to play in and a classic to blast around in with friends.

DonziFreak
08-17-2008, 10:26 PM
After talking to some people and doing a lot of thinking, the race boat stays. But the 18 will be restored back to glory with a re-done deck, custom made CF dash that I'll make myself, and some fresh paint.

Work should start in a few months.