PDA

View Full Version : donzi project help

pete_call
12-16-2002, 08:56 PM
I am new to restoring boats, and I want to get a donzi project. I am not worried about the mechanicals, but I was wondering if anybody could give me some hints about what to avoid on the hull. How bad can a boat be and still be restored? Does the fiberglass become old and brittle after too long? Are certain years undesirable because of poor manufacturing?

Scott Pearson
12-17-2002, 06:00 AM
Pete
Any donzi is worth saving. The older boats are where the work starts. Since it will be your first project, I would look for something newer.

On all boats you will need to look for rotted wood and balsa. All Donzis have some sort of wood or balsa in the deck coring and wood stringers and transom. These areas need to be loked at closely.

How bad can a boat be and still be restored? They all can be saved...its just how much time and money you want to spend. And if your not afraid to take a project on like that.

Does the fiberglass become old and brittle after too long? Some people say yes...I dont think so at all. I have seen older boats look a hell of alot beter then brand new boats as far as gelcaot cracks and stress cracks.

Are certain years undesirable because of poor manufacturing? I really dont believe so. I think there all desirable. It just has to be what model and year that you like.

Good luck!

Ohhh, There is a great looking 1970 18 Donzi in the boats forsale section. Great price also!

(NJ)Scott

MOP
12-17-2002, 07:35 AM
Scott hit it on the head, and once you find your prodject you can ask specifics and also use the search feature which has most projects hashed out in great detail. Some of the things you need to decide is what size, how fast and how deep your pockets are. Best of luck once done it will be a very special feeling.

olredalert
12-17-2002, 10:16 AM
-------There is also the value of the boat when finished to consider.We all tell ourselves that we will never sell something we put so much effort into,but "stuff" happens.Sometimes life intrudes,and for whatever reason a boat has to be sold.As much as I love all DONZIs I think a person is better served by restoring a rarer model.IE:Criterion,Corsican,early boat,any of the hornets,especially a bench seat,etc,etc.Hopefully,some of the cost of the restoration is covered by the appreciation of the rarer boat.Standard 18s,as cool as they are,have a pretty set value,as there always seem to be several in different states of disrepair around for sale.Because of this you only have so much to invest before you are in over that approximate set value.Rarer styles may only come around once,and if nothing else,the exclusivity may cover some of the restoration costs.Any of this make any sense?Please note that Im not talking about making money here,just probably loosing less............Bill S.....ol red!

pete_call
12-17-2002, 10:51 AM
I really like the 16 and the 18 foot models. Anybody have any input on the differences? I'm leaning towards the 16 now, really only because I like the seating. Is there any major handling differences between them?

mattyboy
12-17-2002, 04:29 PM
first let me say i love my 16!

let's put it in these terms

a 16 is like a 427 cobra
small,alot of hp for a small machine, you feel every bump,you turn heads,it is a !@#kin blast to drive,the seating is not all that comfortable,
but did I mention it is a !@#$kin blast to drive and you turn heads.

18 is a late model corvette
a little bigger, same high hp,but handles much better,the bumps don't feel as big,and is capable of longer more comfortable rides, and still is a !@#$kin blast to drive and you still turn heads

22 is like a 12 cyl mercedes
bigger still, more hp,more comfortable,
what !@#$kin bumps, still turn heads and a blast to drive

welcome and good luck

Matt

Marlin275
12-17-2002, 06:15 PM
Good perspective Matt,
I didn't know the handling was that different from a 16-18

22 seems like more of a difference,
with the higher freeboard it has over the other two

Rootsy
12-17-2002, 07:34 PM
handling???

16 ---> 18 is like night and day...

at high speeds you really have to "drive" the 16... the 18 is more forgiving and an all around better handling and more stable hull and ride...

but i still love my 16 :D

now if i could only find it a big sister wink

CDMA
12-17-2002, 07:40 PM
Root,

Whether or not you need to "drive" an 18 depends how fast she is...So get your slow 16 out of the way.... wink wink wink

:)

Chris

BigGrizzly
12-17-2002, 07:53 PM
We have a 16,18, and a 22 foot donzi and I like them all. I have seen 70mph 16s and 80mph (I don't own one) and 80+mph 22's(I do own one). they are all good and unique. My wife calls the 16 and 18s Corvetts and the 22 a SUV. I would have a tough time getting out of either, I love them all.

Rootsy
12-17-2002, 07:57 PM
yo Chris,

ahhhh shouldn;t you be in bed junior? what do you know bout going fast anyway???? wink

pete_call
12-19-2002, 08:15 AM
I will mainly be on large lakes. Cumberland is close enough for weekend trips. probably 3-4 people at most. I'll do some skiing, but I really want a donzi because of their performance and it was the coolest boat I ever saw as a kid. There was some guy jumping wave with one, and that image stuck.

Rootsy
12-19-2002, 08:12 PM
oh sure! gang up on me now! :D

harbormaster
12-19-2002, 08:34 PM
Jus Don't paint it orange. Experience has shown that people make fun of people with orange boats! :D

Rootsy
07-29-2004, 08:44 PM
my how times have changed ;)

SHUT UP bout the sterndrive... it's only temporary!

JR - still going... just like the bunny :D