PDA

View Full Version : M.a.d.c.o.w.

hot shot
08-11-2008, 09:06 PM
Things i learned at MADCOW 08
1. Atomic Patty can run the *&#@ out of a 16 in some nasty water
2. Be careful if you let atomic carl back your rig in... he will lock your truck and take the keys
3. You can still have fun even if its cold, and windy
4. Hard Candy was taking so many waves over the bow i thought his water activated life jacket was gonna deploy
5. Some of the best times you can have is watching the launch ramp ( some gut in an expidition backed her in a bit to far ) there was about 100 gallons of water in the back... when he opened the back door a gallon of milk and a case of beer washed out.
6. Golden Rod's boat now idles like it has a blower on it ???
7. Jeff & Sara ( hope its spelled right ) are great people and will be missed..they are moving to LA But claim they will be at aoth in 09 he sais he is leaving the boat here.
8. I'm looking forward to next year and alot more boats .. it is a beautiful lake and can be a lot of fun

gold-n-rod
08-11-2008, 10:04 PM
Thanks, Mick!

Yes, the Donzis (MADCOWS?) did Torch Lake in a big way on Saturday.

Mick was way too vague. Here's the skinnny.... We all set out about 11:30. No, we were no waiting for Prince Somerville. Mother Nature was cranky on Saturday a.m. and it took all that time for the rain/clouds to clear. I was the first to splah and the last to pull out.... but I was happy to get everyone launched.

We started down the lake and about 5 min. in..... it turned to snot. Big Snot, Huge Snot! Eventually, Jeff & Sarah (and their crew) headed back, Atomic Carl assisted them and Mick and I headed for the western shore. We were aboult halfway down the lake (about 8 miles). Mick was busting the waves at about 35 mph and I was in his wake (smoother, I thought!).

We looked over and Air Patti JUST PLAIN OLD WALKED RIGHT BY US in her 16 like nobody's business. She whomped us both. I bow down to Air Patti. She has learned from the best, it would appear. We know her motivation, but it's up to her to share. (Hint: Tinkle!!!!!) I cower down to Air Patti; she can out drive me!!!!!

Patti and I (followed by Carl aways back) got off the snotty lake and took the Torch River to Elk Lake. There was some kind of local boat parade..... lots of decorated boats (mostly pontoons) and a lot of liquoir, and it was fun to watch.

We all ended up back at the north end of the lake (at the "****ty" launch, Todd) and rafted together for a couple of hours. Mick, who'd been shivering in the water decided to come aboard where it was warm. Finally, Carl showed up with Mick's truck keys and he busted out a BF can of Obereon (Sarah has pics) to the delight of all.

A good time was had by all. Thanks to:

Big Air Patti
Air Carl
Hotshot Mick
Jeff and Sarah Dykema (and Brian and Christiana)
Randy

I don't have Sunday's story...... but Saturday was a gas for all who cared to come.

Jeff and Sarah have pictures............. do share.

roadtrip se
08-12-2008, 09:58 AM
to read about Air Patti kicking a little butt in the 16. Last time I was on it,
we were looking at cottages and drinking wine, so it was time she got a little wave action!

As for the ramp viewing, sounds like it has improved dramatically, NOT. At least I know the Excursion can hold 250 gallons of water. Randy, we have real nice ramps that don't bottom out in a sand pit where I launch. Quite the luxury for princely types like me.

Glad to hear Tamburello will make a return to AOTH. We thought we might have seen him and Sara for the last time this year. I am sure Byron can be convinced to hold the lead slot for the 18 segment of the poker run for Hard Candy, should you guys make it out next year.

Seeing as how strong the Michigan real estate market is, we will most likely be back for a few runs next season.

Thanks for the report...

tamburello
08-12-2008, 10:29 PM
We had a great weekend up in Northern Michigan and had a fun time as always hanging out with the Donzi gang. :boat:

We thought we might get rained out Saturday when we got to the boat ramp. Thanks to Carl's trick GPS with weather radar service built in we knew we were in the clear after a few showers passed through. Randy launched his boat, threw out the anchor, and jumped in the water to help guide everbody's boat of the trailer. Now that's service, thanks for the help Randy! :yes:

We thought we'd have a wide open run all the way down the length of Torch Lake as we started out on the calm water, such was not to be the case. The waves built as we headed South down the length of the lake. Those were some dang steep and tightly packed waves that we encountered about half way down the lake. I've never been washed down like that before.:umbrella: We were all laughing like a bunch of fools as we got hosed down by the spray coming over the bow with each wave, no trim angle gave a dry run that day.

We were running next to Carl and slowed down to let Patti catch up. Yeah right, she had passed us and angled over to the far side of the lake to search in vain for calmer waters as she bounced towards the sand bar at the South end of the lake. Carl and I turned around about 2/3 of the way down the lake to look for Randy and Patti, thinking they had headed back to the ramp. Wrong again! Nobody was there when we got back to the ramp. We voted to throw down an anchor in front of the launch rather than join Carl for another run down the lake. Eventually everyone wandered back and after Carl busted out his ballast keg of Oberon the raftoff had officially begun.

Sunday was windy and cool so we decided to scrap our plans for running Lake Charlevoix and headed to traverse city and Old Mission Penninsula for wine tasting and a microbrewery crawl. If the boat wasn't going to consume liquid, we were. :beer: FYI - Our crew rated Short's brewery in Bellaire No. 1 with Right brain Brewery as the runner up.

Monday we finally got some warm sunny weather and the wind was dialed down a notch or two. We made a run down Torch and spent the afternoon at the sandbar. :cool:

It was great to see everybody and we'll be back from the Left coast next year for more MADCOW action.:yes:

- Jeff

tamburello
08-12-2008, 10:36 PM
1. Randy's 16 ready to run!
2. The red boat club getting launched
3. Patty getting ready to battle the waves
4. Waves ahead
5. Bling King Mick ready to go, take a good look you won't recognize this 22 after he gets done with the next round of updates

tamburello
08-12-2008, 10:41 PM
1. Randy ready to lead the pack
2. Air Patti
3. Carl ready to roll
4. His and hers Donzis
5. And they're off!

tamburello
08-12-2008, 10:49 PM
1. Heading down the lake
2. Carl movin' out
3. Sinking Ford
4. I let Mick borrow my backup power

tamburello
08-12-2008, 10:58 PM
1 & 2. Raftoff time
3. Carl's fuel tank
4 & 5. Time for some fly bys

tamburello
08-12-2008, 11:04 PM
1. Neglected 18 we found, needs love and a wet sand
2. Brewery time line 'em up
3. Great end to a great day
4. Nice weather arrives

tamburello
08-12-2008, 11:10 PM
1. The sand bar
2. Don't you wish every lake looked this good?
3. A full Donzi, load the provisions and wedge the people in the spaces in between

hot shot
08-13-2008, 06:19 AM
Thank you jeff and sarah for of the good pic's .. if anyone wanted to do it again in mid to late sept i thing i'd be in ?????

ITTLFLI
08-13-2008, 06:58 AM
Thanks for the pics! Looks like a blast!

I REALLY need to get up there!

undertaker
08-13-2008, 08:09 AM
Nice pics.....:):)

Carl C
08-13-2008, 08:41 AM
Great pics and it sounds like you guys had a good time. The sinking Ford pic is hilarious, sounds and looks like a pretty shallow launch ramp:shocking:. I suppose that's someone's wife in pic 2, post 8:smileybo::eek!:. Jeff, the "full Donzi" pic is why I opened up my underbow area. And Hot Shot's boat really is beautiful, I've seen it in person.

LKSD
08-14-2008, 07:51 AM
Cool pics.

blackhawk
08-14-2008, 04:36 PM
Glad you guys and gals had a good time even though the weather wasn't great. Beautiful lake isn't it? :D

It's not so bad when the wind comes straight out of the South. Actually makes it fun! But it looks like the wind was coming out of the west that day?

gold-n-rod
08-14-2008, 07:34 PM
But it looks like the wind was coming out of the west that day?

Mostly from the north with a slight westerly influence. None-the-less, the waves had the entire length of the lake to travel. :smash:

Of course, Air Patti didn't seem to mind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!