PDA

View Full Version : Noise at idle

ANGUS
08-10-2008, 01:45 PM
I know noises are hard to describe but here goes...22c w/ 454 King...at and near idle I am getting a heavy rattle like noise from the drive...I think. Drive angle and steering position do make it change tone...louder in a hard turn than when straight. Is this likely to be the input shaft universal or gimbal bearing? Is there something else which could be shaking and slapping around? Any suggestions will be appreciated.Thanks, Angus

gcarter
08-10-2008, 02:15 PM
U-joints.....cheap and easy to change. Just pull the drive and change them. Probably time to change the drive oil too. Or anything else you can think of.

Lenny
08-10-2008, 06:37 PM
..or thru hull exhaust with tips and Carek valves that rattle. I know mine sound like the crank is going to fly out of the boat. :) ( on the X-18)

Really loud and scary sounding at idle, It all goes away though at rpms.

ANGUS
08-10-2008, 09:11 PM
George, Thanks for your advise...I pretty much was thinking u-joints but wanted to check for other ideas....Lenny , thanks for your suggestion, I have heard the noise you mentioned but I don't think that is what I am hearing just now. I will remove drive and check out the U-Joints...probably the problem...we'll know soon. Again, thanks. Angus:propeller:

blackhawk
08-10-2008, 10:21 PM
U-joints, gimbal bearing or as Lenny said exhaust flappers.

I changed out my exhaust tips over the winter and I thought my motor was knocking big time when I fired it up in the spring. Turned out to be the internal flappers.

margo
08-12-2008, 06:05 PM
Sounds like exhaust flappers ...I stuck a couple of broom handles in the exaust tips and held them open noise went away ...Big relief thought it was the engine knocking...Joe

MOP
08-12-2008, 09:49 PM
Both the gimble bearing and the U joints will make changes in sound as drive position is changed, you need to get the drive off. First off get your fingers wedged into the gimble bearing and turn it, it should be silky smooth but will have drag due to the grease. If the U joints are bad you will feel them binding when you move them around, if they have -0- play and are not rusted good chance they are fine. You may just get away with the bearing, U joints last a very long time unless they got wet along the way. Also inspect the starboard motor mount, if it has gotten loose and the engine has ridden down that will make the gimble bearing quite noisy. Also the sound will be louder turning the drive in one direction then the other.

Phil

ANGUS
08-13-2008, 03:02 PM
Well, thanks to all who responded with suggestions on my noise. The winner turns out to be the gimbal bearing. There was water in the bellows and damage to the bearing...u joint appears to have survived. Cleaned everything with brake cleaner, lubed u-joint and replaced bellows and gimbal bearing....will sea test tonight. Thanks again, Angus

gcarter
08-13-2008, 04:09 PM
When I first put the Minx together, I turned the bellows inside out. That way you can clean it thouroughly so you can inspect it closely. It was in good shape so it went back in. About 18 months later it failed and the new gimbal bearing I installed at the same time failed also. Now I don't waste my time.....everything new goes in.

ANGUS
08-13-2008, 05:44 PM
George, I agree with your remarks...I wasn't clear in my reply, but I did exactly what your suggesting...new bellows,new bearing...hope I called the u-joint correctly. I guess i'll know soon. thanks again, Angus

joseph m. hahnl
08-13-2008, 08:14 PM
When I first put the Minx together, I turned the bellows inside out. That way you can clean it thouroughly so you can inspect it closely. It was in good shape so it went back in. About 18 months later it failed and the new Gimbel bearing I installed at the same time failed also. Now I don't waste my time.....everything new goes in.

Totally correct.With the amount of time and frustration it takes to do a bellows and gimble bearing. It is best to do the hole kit and caboodle
water hoses too. trim sender and limit switches lower shift cable. Don't leave any thing to chance .The last thing you want to do is ,do it again a year later.

Although the gimble bearing can be changed with out disturbing the gimble bellows. If the alignment is good and the bearing is bad there's a pretty good chance the bellows is leaking.

The U joint can be replaced any time with minimal grief