PDA

View Full Version : Leak Testing TRS Drive

ragbagger270
08-09-2008, 10:09 AM
I ran my '86 after being stored for 15 months, that following months of work where I rebuilt the Trans, went through and re-assembled the engine the engine, and rewired. I have had it out 3 times since all the work and found some bugs everytime. It runs fine and the drive works fine. Cruises effortlessly at 35mph-2,600rpm and tops out at 55mph-4,300rpm. Not a rocketship, but good enough for me cruising the waterway in coastal Georgia.

Last time out I got water in the drive when I did a post trip check. I was going to pressure it up and do the soapy water thing to find the leak.

How much air pressure should I use?

I am further stimied by the fact none of local shops in my area will work on the drive. I have tried all the local independent shops and no luck. Nearest Mercruiser Drive dealer is in Jacksonville. I know the real answer is to convert to Bravo, but that may take more money that the boat would be worth. I would like to patch it up for a while. If I had the tools and parts I would do the work myself. I am thinking about buying a used drive on Ebay. One for sale in OH won't take Pay-pal. That makes me nervous. If I get swindeled, I have no recourse.

I have been thinking of just selling it now. I have 2 boats take care of and boats seem to be like wives, there is only room for one.

I would appreciate any thougths you may have about getting going again.

Thanks,

BUIZILLA
08-09-2008, 10:20 AM
there is a place in Deland,,, Speedmaster's I think is the name... guys name is Galen... Cuda would know for sure,, they do TRS drives...

BigGrizzly
08-09-2008, 10:25 AM
As for your real answer. Do you really know how much trouble it is to swap the drives. Move the engine back re-aline, re do the exhaust, the list goes on!, The drive isn't that bad to work on unless it comes apart. If you make a mistake and do replace it with a bravo contact me I may take the TRS off your hands.