PDA

View Full Version : Head Unit?

Schaf
08-08-2008, 11:01 AM
Was out yesterday and had a little problem. I have a sony head unit (stock) and the unit turns on but when I press source to use the radio or cd the unit just flashes either the radio station or cd track on and off. No sound just the display flashes on and off. ANy ideas. I have never had a problem in the past. THanks for your help...

mrfixxall
08-08-2008, 11:09 AM
if you have a removeable face radio try cleaning the connections behind the face,,yiu may also have a blown power fuse so check their too!

txtaz
08-08-2008, 02:18 PM
If you are adventurous:

Remove the head unit, break the case apart.

You and the unit/main board need to be at the same potential. Meaning the static your body carries is grounded to the same conducting surface as what you are working on. You can pick up a ground strap and attach it to the BIG solder part of the main board. This is ground. You can also strip a long piece of wire, wrap it around your wrist and then to a mounting hole on the board. Does the same thing.

Clean the bottom of the main board with alcohol. You may need to brush it to remove any debris. Check all connection to the board for clean solder connections. Everything should be bright and shiny without pits or excessive solder. Trim any leads longer than 1/16 inch. Check for any leads shorting out to something close to it.

Next flip the board and straighten all capacitors to 90 degrees of the board. Just good 2M practice and reduces capacitance flux introduce into circuits.

Good luck
Da Taz<-----Yep, I have a minor in electronics also. Does it show???:smash:

Schaf
08-09-2008, 10:43 AM
Mr I will try that today. TX ideas seems a little too complex. any other ideas???