PDA

View Full Version : 1976 X-18 engine hatch support

wickedfast
08-08-2008, 10:07 AM
I have a 1976 X-18 with a port-side hinged engine hatch. Does anyone know what the correct hatch open support should be? I can't see where one was originally mounted. Is it just a removeable prop rod?
Thanks in advance

mrfixxall
08-08-2008, 10:14 AM
I have a 1976 X-18 with a port-side hinged engine hatch. Does anyone know what the correct hatch open support should be? I can't see where one was originally mounted. Is it just a removeable prop rod?
Thanks in advance

Mines a 1977 and ive had the boat since 1985 and have yet seen any x18 with a hatch support and ive never seen a x18 with a with a port-side hinged engine hatch.

You may want to get a hold of lenny,he has a few x18's..

The X Man
08-08-2008, 12:42 PM
I've seen a couple that open from the side. I've never seen one with a support rod, except what people have retrofitted. Mine is a piece of 3/4" pvc pipe that wedges nicely into the bilge. Is this Sam's old X-18 boat??

wickedfast
08-11-2008, 07:44 AM
Thanks for the information on the hatch suport. I will make a nice rod to hold it up. There may be a telescoping rod that will work. Yes it is Sam's X-18.

Forrest
08-11-2008, 02:20 PM
The later X-18s that came with the Mercrusier 280TRS had a side-opening hatch. The reason was that the 280TRS had end-riser exhaust manifolds that put the risers right where the hinges for a rear-hinged hatches would need to go. In place of the rear hinges, the factory would cut out the lip of of the hatch seat on the deck, and made two cut outs at the rear of the hatch itself to clear the risers. Those cut outs which were covered with fiberglass "bubbles". Later, when many of these 280TRS were changed to center-riser exhause manifolds, their owners glassed-in the hatch cutouts and mounted the hinges in the rear as I did mine. The side opening hatch was a real pain to deal with.