PDA

View Full Version : 22 hatch is complete

harbormaster
08-07-2008, 05:56 PM
When I raised the x dimension I had to cut a hole for the flame arrestor. I searched ebay and found a bolton scoop from a 1979 Mustang GT. After I cut out the fake grate from the scoop opening, I had a friend, contour the bottom so it would fit the 22 hatch with no gaps. I then had my glass/paint guy at the office clean it up and paint it to match the boat. He did it for free because he was using the paint I had left over from redoing the transom.

I bolted it on yesterday. I did notice when drilling holes and cuting out the hole for the flame arrestor that the top skin of the hatch was delaminating from the balsa core. I am making plans to redo the hatch/scoop later this year. Here are a few photos.

SilverBack
08-07-2008, 06:46 PM
You have got it looking great!!

zelatore
08-07-2008, 07:12 PM
Subtle. I like it.

BUIZILLA
08-07-2008, 07:23 PM
sure wish I could open pic's again... :nilly:

ky-donzi
08-07-2008, 07:35 PM
Awesome!!! Really like it!!!

BlownCrewCab
08-07-2008, 07:40 PM
If you make a mold from that hatch with the scoop built in, you could probably sell a few.

harbormaster
08-07-2008, 08:56 PM
I just fixed the database table that displays the attachements. You should be able to see attachments now....

VetteLT193
08-08-2008, 06:55 AM
Looks awesome. Best aftermarket add on scoop I've seen on any classic.

jvcobra
08-08-2008, 09:26 AM
Looks great, welcome to the world of 'scooped Donzi's!

BigGrizzly
08-08-2008, 10:31 AM
I really like the its there but not there look. Kind of royal upper class looking. Some times people put stuff on there boats that remind me of a beautiful woman with too much makeup on.

boatnut
08-08-2008, 10:45 AM
I really like the its there but not there look. Kind of royal upper class looking. Some times people put stuff on there boats that remind me of a beautiful woman with too much makeup on.
Well said Randy! However, with the right motivation she probably can easily remove the makeup. Some things on classic Donzis (like windshields, biminis, transom steps, etc.) are more difficult to remove. Oops, shouldn't have gone there :hangum:.

Conquistador_del_mar
08-08-2008, 11:18 AM
When I raised the x dimension I had to cut a hole for the flame arrestor. I searched ebay and found a bolton scoop from a 1979 Mustang GT. After I cut out the fake grate from the scoop opening, I had a friend, contour the bottom so it would fit the 22 hatch with no gaps. I then had my glass/paint guy at the office clean it up and paint it to match the boat. He did it for free because he was using the paint I had left over from redoing the transom.

I bolted it on yesterday. I did notice when drilling holes and cuting out the hole for the flame arrestor that the top skin of the hatch was delaminating from the balsa core. I am making plans to redo the hatch/scoop later this year. Here are a few photos.

Scot,
It looks great! Did the scoop have fastening tabs? I was curious how you bolted or bonded it to the hatch. Bill

harbormaster
08-08-2008, 12:35 PM
Originally it was bolted to the mustang hood with a double ended fastener.

One end had a standard thread and the other had a self tapping thread (scoop end). Unfortunatly they were too short to go through the hatch.

Plan B...

I took 6 stainless steel hex head bolts and cut the heads off of them. I then put 4 notches in the sides of each. I then glued them into the holes with JB weld. After that I bolted the hatch down from underneath with stainless nuts and fender washers. I also put locktight on the threads as well.

Marlin275
08-08-2008, 01:03 PM
That looks like a scaled down version of the great looking Shelby scoop.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=37757&d=1218149671

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=17173&d=1136935027

Carl C
08-08-2008, 01:11 PM
Scot, that looks really sweet. That scoop looks familiar too! I also had to make mine functional on the '82 pony. I gotta wonder, though, if it gets much air being right behind that lip.

Marlin275
08-08-2008, 01:33 PM
When I raised the x dimension I had to cut a hole for the flame arrestor.

I gotta wonder, though, if it gets much air being right behind that lip.

Carl, almost all these scoops are done for engine height clearance, air is not the problem.