PDA

View Full Version : The never sleeping radio....

Stevo440
08-07-2008, 03:41 PM
2001 22C all stock one battery and one battery switch with on or off positions. The radio never seems to shut down in the off position, it always comes back on even pushing the off button on the radio, so what's up with this. I had to disconnect the fuse connection going to/from the battery switch.

Thanks

da donz
08-07-2008, 03:48 PM
On the back of the radio, there is two wires/ 1 red, and 1 yellow, both needing power.
The yellow wire needs constant power for radio memory.
The red wire is your power by ignition/or battery switch.
Check the wires, maybe the red wire was hooked up to a constant power.

zelatore
08-07-2008, 05:19 PM
Doesn't sound like a wiring problem to me, sounds like a bad radio.

To clarify - turn the battery switch off - does the radio still stay on? If so, then yes, the red power wire is always 'hot' and is wired around the perko switch. You'll want to remedy that by moving the red power wire to a switched source.

But it sounds like you are saying when you hit the power button to turn off the radio, it comes back on by itself. If that's the case, you need a new radio. Or possibly you can have that one repaired. Most radios are so cheap these days people just replace 'em.

VetteLT193
08-08-2008, 07:03 AM
I like my radio to be on a switch. This way I can keep the memory if I know I'm going to be using the boat frequently, but if I'm not then I can switch it off completely.

Even a hidden switch works and is super easy to install.